Hughesnet is the only provider in my area

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NickDalton625
Freshman

Hughesnet is the only provider in my area

As the title says, Hughesnet is the only provider in my area, so I might as well make the absolute best of what I have, even though I'd prefer way better. Anyway. I work from home, my line of work requires me to work behind a VPN as well as a couple other safety measures, I have high latency, which is to be expected, are there anyways to bring it down? I'm not getting the download/upload speeds that I should be, which I will be calling about in the morning. The system I work in is really slow, I'm assuming it's because of the fact that I have satellite internet, I burned up 2 hours this morning calling around looking for other providers. But I'm trying to figure out how I can make my internet better so that I can work accurately. Here's a couple pictures.

Hughenet's speed test

Hughesnet Speed Test.png

Speed test from speedtest.net

Speedtest Hughesnet.png

If you need anymore information don't hesitate to ask. Thanks!

-Nick

14 REPLIES 14
NickDalton625
Freshman

***Ignore the pictures in the first post after adding data tokens I had it went up***

I get errors when I try to edit my first post.

I'm digging up other information about my internet. 

Packet Loss0%
Average Delay794 ms
Minimum Delay572 ms
Maximum Delay1,690 ms

I noticed I had ran out of data but I had around 5.5 GB available in tokens that Hughesnet had given to me. So I applied those. But the decrease in speed while I'm working isn't something new, it's always been there, I'm just tired of it, and if I can make it better, even just a little bit, why not right?

Download: https://testmy.net/db/SgQ6n6NAt

Upload: https://testmy.net/db/f9~7nZtCZ

Speed Test.png

Here's a second connectivity test by Hughesnet

Packet Loss10%
Average Delay834 ms
Minimum Delay569 ms
Maximum Delay1,330 ms

If you need more information let me know.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Edit:  Disregard previous information and request for speed tests.  

So then the problem does appear to be only when using the VPN?  

If this is the case, it's most likely that there isn't going to be anything that can be done to fix it.  

But, with that said, you show a packet loss with your second connectivity test.  The reps will probably want to run some remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment, so please make sure to leave your modem plugged in so they can do so.   They're on from approximately 8AM to 5PM EST, though can take them a day or two to reply.   

It does get slower while I'm using the VPN, but I don't feel like I'm actually hitting the 25 Mbps that they advertise, I'm not sure if the upload speed has anything to do with using a VPN, I know a lot when it comes to techy stuff, I just don't know every detail. Initially, I was concerned about packet loss, which seems to be a correct assumption, but could that be the reason my internet gets a lot slower behind a VPN? 

It hasn't even been an hour since I performed that speed test with 21.71 down and 0.40 up. I just did another one, and here are the results.

Is satellite normally this unstable? I've never really checked my speeds reliably before now.

Speedtest.net 1 36 am.png

GabeU

@NickDalton625

It could be (re: packet loss and problems with VPN), but one thing I need to mention is that speedtest.net is not designed to work very well with satellite internet and will quite often give erroneous results, especially with upload tests.  

HughesNet recommends (and requires when troubleshooting) testmy.net.  For download tests you should use the manual 25MB test size, and for upload tests the manual 4MB test size.  Also, to get the most accurate demonstration of your speed, the testing should be done with a LAN connecting device and with the WiFi in the HughesNet modem disabled (these things are, again, required when troubleshooting).  This ensures that the results aren't skewed by any possible WiFi issues and that no WiFi connected devices are sapping bandwidth while the tests are being run.  

Edit:  I should further mention that the packet loss issue can contribute to speed issues, so it may be a good idea to wait until the reps perform their remote diagnostics before running too many speed tests.  

I did a speed test using testmy.net. I've got 10 Mbps download and 293 kbps upload. 

So the best thing to do is just wait it out at this point? I want to thank you for all your help!

GabeU

@NickDalton625

You're very welcome.  🙂 

I would definitely wait.  Some of the things that can cause packet loss, like an alignment issue or a bad cable connection, can also cause speed issues, and that's in addition to the packet loss itself possibly causing speed issues.  Hopefully, whatever it is, has a quick and easy fix.  They should be able to tell pretty quickly.  

maratsade

Hughesnet is not recommended for VPN, and if it works at all, it's going to be significantly slower.  From their FAQ(https://www.hughesnet.com/frequently-asked-questions😞

Can I run a VPN over HughesNet?

We do not recommend using a VPN with your HughesNet service. Your home is approximately 22,000 miles away from the HughesNet satellite in space. In order to minimize the delay that comes from having data travel back and forth over such a vast distance, your modem uses advanced acceleration techniques. When you use a VPN connection that encrypts data, it interferes with your modem’s ability to compensate for the delay. Depending on the type of VPN used, you may see overall speed reduced by 50–70%. You can restore your connection to full speed by simply disabling your VPN client when your session is over. Note: HughesNet Technical Support does not provide help with configuring or troubleshooting problems associated with VPN clients.

It does get slower while I'm using the VPN, but I don't feel like I'm actually hitting the 25 Mbps that they advertise, I'm not sure if the upload speed has anything to do with using a VPN, I know a lot when it comes to techy stuff, I just don't know every detail. Initially, I was concerned about packet loss, which seems to be a correct assumption, but could that be the reason my internet gets a lot slower behind a VPN? 

So using a VPN isn't stable, but it does indeed work, just slowly. Here are my speeds in my system without being behind the VPN. I know the pictures are bad quality, but I don't have access to any of my personal stuff when I'm in my work environment.

IMG_2938.jpgIMG_2939.jpgIMG_2940.jpgIMG_2941.jpg

maratsade

I suggest you open a free account with Testmy.net, as that's the service that the Hughesnet people accept. You can run all your speed tests there and it provides not just speed but also other important information that the Hughesnet people can use to diagnose the problem.

VPN doesn't work at all for a lot of users, and Hughesnet does not provide technical support for VPN (as you may have seen on the FAQ).  I normally have no issues with VPN unless the speed is slow. 

https://testmy.net/db/IFiXI3gNO.3g~X2varT if you need anything else let me know

maratsade

Use this link for your test results:  https://testmy.net/quickstats/Nickdalton625

That collects all the tests you do, and it's helpful because it provides results over time.  You should run tests at different times of the day. Run 3 or 4 tests, about 3 to 5 minutes apart, then always remember to post the link above. 

This may not always be possible, but it's best to set the download test to manual and use the 25 MB file size, and 4 MB for uploads. 

If you collect tests over 2 to 4 days, it will provide the mods here and also the engineers with a lot of data to help diagnose what's going on. 

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

Hi NickDalton625, welcome to the community and thanks for posting! I ran a diagnostic on your account and see you have a bad alignment, so I've set up a free technician visit to address these concerns. I've put you in our earliest available slot available and you will receive a call or text from the technician to confirm the appointment or reschedule if necessary. 

Hope this improves your service!

-Brooke

GabeU

@NickDalton625

Just to be clear, the post with the most recent pictures is when you ARE using a VPN, right?

You said in the post, "Here are my speeds in my system without being behind the VPN."