cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hughesnet is worse now than when I first had it installed. Throttled Speed is a joke. Rip Off Alert.

Hughesnet is worse now than when I first had it installed. Throttled Speed is a joke. Rip Off Alert.

I've been a customer for over 5 years. The service now is a joke. A disgusting joke, how can they honestly charge $75 to $85 a month for the service you receive. Even few months it bottom out and you have to go through the steps to get it back up to speed, so annoying. Once its throttled you might as well just power down the modem. A usable speed is supposed to be available after the FAP is busted. It's not, Yahoo or rather even a web page from 1994 won't load. I've seriously talked to so many unhappy with service. I have a direct TechSup number, that I've had since 2012. Here's the steps. Call the foreign Support line, go through an hour of them saying its all your computers fault. Then they try to upgrade your package and hardware for an hour. Then they finally acknowledge an issue, you wait for a few days its fixed. Or they replace your modem that seems to have a year and a half usage life. Why would I pay more or upgrade to more of your service or a contract when the service you provide now didn't live up to the service promised to start with?????

I'm sure the spurts of speed are all my fault. For example last night I was doing the same thing for 3 hours. Simply just playing CoClans, the first hour 15 mb, 2nd 20 mb, During the 3rd hour I did nothing different 100 mb, NO I didn't update or do anything, nor did my computer. I noticed so I got on my computer and the speed was dropping and spotty at best. Pages kept freezing, I couldn't even get the status meter up. Then suddenly Red light, its down, no bad weather but I was like well good a reason for it to be slow/stopped. It went green I have 125mb left 5 mins later it was busted. Anyone that uses HN knows you can't even download from Apples Server to get 125MB in 5 MINUTES!!! Once Throttled you're done, so that cycle starts, spend more money for a token. I'd like to know who regulates the speed and prices charged. If anyone does. in the 5 years, I've just given up so often when I have a problem. but I recently added up my losses at a city hall meeting for expanding broadband into rural areas I was shocked.  $5280 on freaking AUTOPAY!, I'm the guy that they love bill always paid, rarely fight through the service line. That's about to change.

9 REPLIES 9
Honorary Alumnus

Re: Hughesnet is worse now than when I first had it installed. Throttled Speed is a joke. Rip Off Alert.

Don't call, just post here.
Before you post here, run a series of speed tests so the mods have something to work with.
Where is your gateway located ?
I ask because there is a lot of bad weathet going now where some of the gateways are located.
Assistant Professor

Re: Hughesnet is worse now than when I first had it installed. Throttled Speed is a joke. Rip Off Alert.

Would think with 139 posts he figured out this is the best place for help.
Honorary Alumnus

Even a peek at SCC (192.168.0.1) would show a color coded icon and a condition error if a Texas (or elsewhere) Gateway was having weather issues. Just sayin'

If weather related, just wait it out. The news will give weather in a given area.

Keyword here is Hurricane.

Personally, if I'm in FAP I expect to be essentially shut down. After all, if your plan doesn't have SmartBrowse FAP is the "penalty Box".

Good morning Rehabku,

Welcome back and thanks for posting. We certainly can help you with your speed concerns. Do you notice a slow down happening consistently at a particular time of day? If so, I'd highly recommend running a batch of speed tests at that time so we can properly evaluate your speeds. 

Speed test: http://consumer.performancetests.hughesnet.com

I pulled up your account and ran some diagnostics to make sure your site was OK, and it's all clear. According to your account, you're on our legacy Home plan, so you should be getting up to 1 Mbps in download speeds.

Looking forward to hearing back from you so we can work this out. Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Assistant Professor

Just so you're clear 1 Mbps = 125 KBps, not exactly blazing speed to begin with. I'm kind of surprised you are able to do any online gaming reliably and downloading music files is going to be slow also. Everything is going to seem slow at that speed, I sure wouldn't want to go back to that.

Just a little something from far left field. I noticed you mentioned being throttled and in the same paragraph also mentioned Yahoo.

Awhile back I was also having trouble with data management. I downloaded GlassWire(recommended from this site) and within a couple of days discovered that Yahoo news was going through 200 to 400 megs of my monthly allowance per day due to things running in the background. Among other things recommended here, I now only go to Yahoo during bonus time. I'm an early riser, so that didn't alter anything on my end other the pecking order of the news sites I visit.

Busy day. You truly get no help from the phone support. I always give lots of slack toward speed issues. My biggest concern in the way you're treated when you DO call. I don't go running here or the phone line when stuff pops up, as all understand quickly, you know what to do, whether its reset or just simply wait. My concerns are when I'm not doing anything and I use 100mb in about 5 mins. or the status goes light yellow or red and then pops back up short about 50 MB. I DO watch my meter lots. I don't mind busting FAP after I've been doing stuff.

As an example a few months back when it went down for like 3 days. Unaware it was a bigger than me problem. I called in to the phone support to only have them say it was only on my end and they couldn't help. 90 minutes of hold and "support" They said there must be a problem here, outside. Finally after 30 more minutes, its reported after transfer, after transfer, its a big issue and its affecting many subscribers. There's even a help hotline for updates. And the fact that the first 90 minutes was spent troubleshooting my PC and blaming it all on me ....it was a totally known issue. I get on community during the outrage via a cell phone and there's all the info that was foreign to the phone team. I wasted 2 hours, when the first guy could have easily explained. Things happen it doesn't always work. I get it, I understand it. But if my bill wasn't paid on time, it would be off. Or if my connection to my bank account released 10c a day for a few days in place of my monthly bill, they wouldn't be happy. 

The game I referred to is a server based game that I can actually still play while under FAP, shockingly enough. So clearly it doesn't use hardly any data, we're not talking xbox live or something. Downloading anything requires a special set up. I call it the subway system. I get in my car drive to free wifi at subway 14 miles away and download.

I don't mind FAP or throttle down after I've gotten my use out, I'll even spend a token. But under FAP we are told internet should be reliable. Its so not. The Yahoo I really meant was just Y Mail. Even with images and background stuff off, you can't check mail or lets say local news. BUT there's no way for them to check FAP speed been down that rabbit hole. HN are truly the gate keepers for rural internet, you get what they give. Option 2, none at all. As a consumer that's totally unfounded.  

Hi Rehabku,

It's been over two weeks since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can more effectively help you.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->