Hughesnet status meter 'whoops'

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dfbeck
Junior

Hughesnet status meter 'whoops'

I have two computers running side by side. Windows 10 and Windows XP. The 32 bit version of the meter ran on the XP machine until 9/21 in the am when it gave me the 'whoops, I'm not going to work anymore' message. I tried to open it on the 10 machine, which I hadn't tried in some time, but it won't even load the broken new version. I have uninstalled/reinstalled both with same results. All this is on top of a service that periodically fails presenting a 12.1.9 State Code and error codes that repeatedly point to an upload issue. From time to time the upload light flashes once per second while packet loss is 40 to 60%.  Dish has been realigned twice and the modem is only about two months old. All cables have been replaced. I have not had another tech out since the connection problem is so intermittant. I was hoping the system would fail completely  Now I can no longer view status unless I go to the System Control Center. Through the Center I have re-installed the modem several times with no change in either the status meter or the intermittant connection problem.

I did notice that the System Control Center firmware appears to have changed overnight as it has a totally different appearance. I don't know if this has any effect on the meter but it's quite a coincidence.

I have removed my router, plugged the modem directly in to the wall, rebooted the modem and computers, run each computer separately, prayed and tried voodoo, but as yet, nothing corrects either issue. The one issue that I was dealing with, repeated buffering of videos from 7pm to 12am has gotten much better. I assume Gen 4 customers got tired of the buffering and moved to Gen 5 easing up the overloaded bandwidth. I'll stick with Ultra but would like these new issues corrected.

64 bit systems have been out for more than 10 years but there are still a ton of people using XP, like me, because I hate 10.

I'm open to suggestions.

11 REPLIES 11
MarkJFine
Professor

It's a common problem that crops up from time to time when the modem starts caching data and somehow it gets corrupted - like, when there's a firmware update.

The simple fix is to delete the cache/config folder located at:
   C:\Users\<your user name here>\AppData\Roaming\HughesNet Usage Meter\

Just replace "<your user name here>" with your user name.

When you re-run the Usage Meter it will re-generate the information there.

If you search the community you would see this is the most common fix.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Well, it would have been a fix if I hadn't deleted my 5.2 version not knowing that the only versions offered anywhere are 6.X. There are still 32 bit XP computers out here but it seems that Hughes is determined to make sure they are all upgraded or they don't get a Status Meter. I can still find parts for a 1957 Chevy but I can't find a 32 bit version of a program that tells me how much data I've used. I can't imagine it cost that much to maintain an archive of the program but what do I know.

Thanks any way.

I realize it's your preference, but I have to tell you that xp is so vulnerable that I wouldn't even keep it on the internet for very long.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Your concern over what your customers use for an operating system is touching. I guess that's as good a reason as any to dump all the older versions of the status meter.

@dfbeck wrote:

Your concern over what your customers use for an operating system is touching. I guess that's as good a reason as any to dump all the older versions of the status meter.

I'm concerned because this is a help site where customers help other customers. I don't work for Hughes.

That said, as I understand it, the application is completely written in platform non-specific javascript, so I'm not totally sure where the 32- vs. 64-bit thing comes from.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Sorry, but support for Windows XP has ended, move on, or live in the dark ages I suppose.

By the way, you must use the newer versions of the status meter with the latest software on the modems.

My apologies. I afraid my patients has gotten a bit short with some of the answers I've recieved from Hughes. Their service is quite dependable when it works but incredibly frustrating when it doesn't. I have read thru the fixes and I'll try to apply them to my Win 10 machine but I still favor XP. It has an excessive amount of 3rd party security so I'm not concerned about that. Again, my apologies.

It happens to the best of us at times. Hopefully you also saw the thread that said it was 32-bit compatible. Honestly can't understand why it wouldn't be.

...that is unless it wasn't "signed" as 32-bit, but I also thought you could override that.

That's the error message I get, 'not a valid 32 bit application. And in my previous message, that should read 'patience', not patients. I'm not a doctor, I just support them.