I have had Hughes Net for about six months now and was called out of town about a week after they installed it and was unable to use it for about four months. When I did come home it was to an internet and phone service that was in no way what was promised.
(1) It was just as slow, if not slower than my old service. The reason I shifted.
(2) It is unreliable. You cannot stream a program without it taking forever to watch with all the buffering. So I am forced to use my hot spot on my phone.
(3) I was told I needed to increase my data to 20GB and that would fix the problem. NOT SO.
(3) I have made several phone calls concerning my internet being slower that my previous provider and they conduct their test and say everything is good and that there is not a problem. I then tell them I can tell it’s not working properly a seen on my laptop and how long it takes to download any and all things. I even tell them that I can download and upload faster using my Hot spot, and they tell me that is not so. So I guess they know more than me when it comes to my system and what I am seeing.
(4) I have another problem also. My data runs out before the end of the billing period. It’s amazing that when I had 10GB it ran out about in the middle of the billing period and now with 20GB it runs out in about the same period of time. In both cases, I have spent many hours of my time shutting down and disconnecting all my devises from the internet and believe it or not, it did not make any noticeable difference. I even unplugged my modem for about a week and went off my hot spot and my data continues to go down. That’s amazing isn’t it? I firmly believe that they set up their system to do this so they can sell you tokens.
(5) I have also noticed that my speed is the same with data left, as it is when they cut me back when my data is gone and they cut me back. They also tell you that it wont go below 3-4 MB but this morning and as shown on their own website, I was getting 0 MB down load and 4 MB upload. So this shows you that once again they sold me a bogus product and under false advertising. This is on Sep 28th at 1000, 1115 and 1300 all read the same.
(6) Now to my phone service which is also through Hughes Net. I have been having problems with my service in that while in a conversation with someone I can hear them but they cannot hear me so I have to hang up and call them again. This has just happened again this past week while talking to their technical representative twice during the same call (s). I was told that my phone had to be connected directly to the modem box and not through the house wiring and that was the problem, even though it was sporadic and I asked them why was I not told that by their sales representative and the installer who saw what I had four phones and where they were connected and he even connected to the house phone wiring himself. He even tested the phone system and said all was working fine. Since then I had to go out and purchase a base station with four remote phones wired directly to the modem and low and behold it still didn't work so that’s another $125.00 plus gone to the wind.
(7) If anyone is wondering how I am able to type these comments (serious concerns), I am doing so on my hotspot, which is not only more reliable and faster. Which to me is backwards being it’s coming from a tower, which is located approximately 20 miles away vice a satellite.
It is my opinion that Hughes Net is selling their service under false pretense and not holding up to what they promised. I also think that their Technical support personnel do not know what they are talking about because every time you call them, they have a different answer on what your problem is and have you do various different things that don't work.
I am so very sorry that I even got taken in with their internet service and wish I was back with my old provider. But low and behold I have a two-year contract until 2022, which means I have to go through this misery for a long time yet or lose a lot of my hard earned money.
I would not ever recommend this service to even my worse enemy, let alone with someone I know.
I hope others can no see what they might have to go through if they switch to Hughes Net. I would encourage everyone to read many of their comments concerning Hughes Net and they will see so many of them are concerning the same subjects and problems. How they are able to stay in business is beyond me.
I would love to see government agencies or state agencies veiw all the complaint and investigate them.
Thank you for listening
I know that they will probably remove my comments so others cannot see it but if so I will put it on social media also.
To get help with your speed issues, the reps will need some speed test results, and from tests run in a specific way. The instructions for running the speed tests are here. Please make sure to use the proper test size(s) (25MB and 4MB) and run the tests with a LAN cable connected device and with the HughesNet modem's WiFi disabled (instructions for disabling it are there, as well). As well, please be sure to run the tests while signed into the testmy.net account.
Regarding your data usage, this post and this post may help. Devices can use data when you aren't actively using them. It's important to make sure those devices are "locked down" in order to not do this. Additionally, satellite TV receivers should not be connected to HughesNet, as they can use a lot of data, with no way to control it.
Regarding this... "I even unplugged my modem for about a week and went off my hot spot and my data continues to go down. That’s amazing isn’t it?", the most likely explanation is data lag. The data reporting takes a couple of minutes to catch up, so what you saw when you disconnected the modem may not have actually been all that you had used up to that point. As for data continuing to go down while your modem is unplugged, this is an impossibility. Data can neither be used, nor deducted from your data bank, while the modem is unplugged.
Perhaps it was simply a typo, but your commitment would be until sometime in 2021, not 2022.
The reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM EST. They will likely reply to help with the issues you're experiencing. For the speed issues, though, they will need the aforementioned speed test results.
On a side note, HughesNet has approximately 1.3 millions customers. They're able to stay in business because the majority of their customers don't have issues with them. "all the complaints" you mention represent considerably less than 1% of their customer base.
There is ALOT to unpack here.... & I'm not going to even try...... save one
There is NO WAY, NO HOW, NOPE NOPE NOPE can't do it in a theoretical manner or otherwise to loose data if the modem is unplugged & coax disconnected. There is SIMPLY no valid connection point between you and the satellite.
While many, including myself have major issues with HN service and support ... I will not allow a factually incorrect statement to pass w/o comment and correction
(provided as a courtsey from a frmr installer)
I have been working with the service reps now for about three weeks and a total of four to five reps including a supervisor. they have performed the speed tests and also had me perform some also but to date nothing has improved.
I have along with the reps what you have recomended so either they do not know what is going on or I am having problems with my equipment but they say its working fine, so it must be pure majic.
what bothers me its not just my speed but other problems i noted and even with my phone service.
I must be the one and only person having problems and all the other persons complaining about their speed, reliability as well as several other issues must just be unlucky also.
I really feel that HughsNet should send a technition out to my house and give everything a check out and then they could see what is going on.
All i know that in my 68 years of being on this earth most companies do what they can to help their customers and don't just give you a couple tests and tell you nothing is wrong when I know it is.
I spent 26 years in the Navy asighned to nuclear submarines and I know if someone told me there was a problem i would trust them and check everything to the max to prove it was working or find the problem and fix it. If didnt we would have a multibillion dollar vessel that would not be able to provide its asigned mission which is esential tothe security of our safety and security allowing all americans to lives their lives with the fredom we have. In short I did my job and all I ask is that others do theirs when I pay good money for the service.
Well for one thing I followed all the directions that the service reps directed me to do. I worked with about 5 to 6 and even a supervisor and still no improvements to my system. I would really hate to have you as a installer of my system with your lack of customer service and appears you have an attitude problem.
I have also worked in the Navy for 26 years on Nuclear Submarines and I never told any of my superiors, subordinates or customers they were wrong and that they were down right liars.
I also worked in a customer service industry's for approximately 30 years after I retired from the service and I always treated all my workers, superiors and customer with respect and dignity.
I know if your were working for me your job would be short lived.
You should know the whole story before you pronounce judgment on others.
I am sorry you are going through the same problems. You are right we should not pay for a service we are not getting, especially when they are not fulfilling their side of the contract.
at least you are getting someone to come out and check out your system and see with their eyes what is really going on being they appear not to believe us customers. Hang in there Buddy.
Though anything's possible, they normally don't send a technician out to a location unless there is some sort of indication that it would be beneficial to do so. With the remote diagnostics they have, they can usually see if that's the case, as in something that a tech may be able to improve/fix. With regard to such, if you normally don't, it would be a good idea to leave your HughesNet modem plugged in so that the reps here will be able to run the aforementioned remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment.
Also, though you may not be aware of it, one thing to keep in mind is that the reps and/or engineers that will help you via this support community are corporate based, unlike most of the phone reps. I have no doubt you've done a lot of troubleshooting with those phone reps, but the reps here will still need to work with you in order to figure out what is going on. If you ran some speed tests like described in the linked instructions, it would be beneficial for you to post the results URL so that the reps here can help you with the speed issue, though the speed tests the phone reps ask to be run are often different from the speed tests requested to be run here. If you don't have any results from tests like requested here, it would still be a good idea to run some so the reps/engineers here can see what's going on.
BTW, though I didn't mention it in my previous reply, and I can't remember if it's mentioned in one of those two posts I linked to, turning off (or pausing) the Video Data Saver may help with the streaming.
The reps will be back tomorrow. They'll likely reply then, but it can sometimes take more than a day, especially after a weekend.
Edit: So that the chance of confusion is lessened, it would be a good idea to note who you are replying to. You can either just type their name, like a letter, or type the @ symbol, which will bring up a list of those who have posted in this thread. You can then click on the name to post it as a tag, like I've done at the beginning of this reply to you. Some forums automatically indicate the recipient of a reply, but unfortunately, this one doesn't.
Good morning LindyB,
Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. What Gabe said is correct, if our diagnostics tools don't show a need to send a tech, then we won't do so. I've checked just now and your HughesNet equipment is working normally. I just see that you're currently out of your monthly data so your speeds are reduced. Even when you had data, I saw that when you ran testmy.net speed tests with one of our phone agents last Thursday, the speeds were OK; certainly enough to stream movies or do other internet activities.
I did notice a DirecTV device hooked up to the HughesNet modem, that can use up a lot of data in the background so I suggest unplugging it when not in use.
Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->