cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HughsNet is the slimiest most underhanded company I have ever purchased from

Re: HughsNet is the slimiest most underhanded company I have ever purchased from

I agree, one has to wonder how often they get away with this stuff either due to the lack of diligence of their customers, the naivety of their customers or simply the reluctance of people to complain. Like Jezra noted, they are probably laughing all the way to the bank.
New Poster

Re: HughsNet is the slimiest most underhanded company I have ever purchased from

Really does make a person wonder how many customers are paying for those extras that have no idea or how long they have been paying for it.
Assistant Professor

Makes me wonder if the CSR that does it gets a commission. Would explain a lot.
Highlighted

Probably quite a few. I think this company was built upon the old P.T. Barnum motto, "There's a sucker born every minute".
Assistant Professor

Agree, but Barnum didn't say it: http://www.historybuff.com/library/refbarnum.html

I like the story.  Let me amend that to say David Hannum's motto.

Most sales agents are usually good at informing you of free 1-month trials like Express Repair and Zone Alarm. They will bill to your account if you don't remove them. The problem here is that you had a poor installer who must have failed to set you up with a Support Center login and show you how to add and remove these "Extras". It's unfortunate that there are still techs that don't give the customer the full installation experience they are required to. Visit my.hughesnet.com to set up your account login. The page is fairly self explanatory. Inform customer service about this failure on the part of the tech and that you want to be credited for the months you were billed for those extra services you did not want. Also, I find that most customers never check the confirmation email Hughesnet sends them showing them all the pending charges. If all customers simply did that then all of this could be avoided.

Thanks for your comment David. Unfortunately I don't remember any salesperson or tech mentioning any free 1 month trials for anything. In addition, my monthly billings to my credit card would suggest I received nothing free. I really do not want to blame the techs for something most probably initiated by the company and the sales people. These are the people that profit from deceptions like this, not the installation techs. When a company institutes and nurtures policies that are designed to bilk naive purchasers of their products they are no better than common flimflam thief's. One can only hope that civil laws and competition with honest companies will put them out of business.

Hmmm, while we are sort of on the subject David, have you recently logged into the HughsNet customer service sight in your system controller? I did and when I queried "View my Bills" I received the prompt "We are moving to a New Login Process. Complete the quick registration and you will be able to login to your 
HughesNet account with your existing Google, Windows Live, AOL or Hughes.net account." Under the 'Register Now' it states that you may still log in the old way, but trying that did not work for me, so I began the registration process. The first thing they have you do is sign an "Agreement". Please read carefully the "Terms of Agreement". You basically have few if any rights in this agreement. Please read it. I will not sign it which of course means I can't move on in their registration process, and of course I can't look at my billing statements. This may be something else I will have to discuss with the FCC.

Oh yeh, I should add, fill your coffee cup before you read it because it is 30 pages long with 23 components.