cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HughsNet is the slimiest most underhanded company I have ever purchased from

HughsNet is the slimiest most underhanded company I have ever purchased from

To begin with I ordered HughNet's basic 49.99 package (about 4 months ago) that the salesman assured me would work well with streaming. That turns out to be absolutely false, but when contacted, the HughsNet representative told me "for another $10 a month I could upgrade to something that would stream". I refused on principle alone. I, like I suspect many others, have my monthly payment charged directly to my credit card. Unfortunately, I have been negligent in closely examining my online credit card statements. Today I did and noticed that my monthly charge from HughsNet was a whopping $106.14 for this month and $80.90 for all previous months. I just spent the last 45 minutes on the phone with 2 HughsNet representatives hearing that HughsNet has arbitrarily been tacking on 3 additional charges to my bill that I never asked for, and then just this month they added a 4th charge for telephone service that I neither asked for nor have. They claim they will refund my money in 45 days (while they collect interest on it), but I am not holding my breath on this one. These people are plain and simple crooks. Their internet reception is the worst and the slowest I have ever worked with. The original representative stated I had a 12 month commitment, but the document they sent in the email suggests 24 months (just another bold face lie), and I suspect, because they got caught and had to change my contract back to what I originally requested, they will now declare it a new contract. Buyers beware. I need to get this out on the internet.
24 REPLIES 24

Re: HughsNet is the slimiest most underhanded company I have ever purchased from

If you are using a bank or credit card get a new and dont give it to hughsnet they will bill you monthly and then you can cancle hughsnet and they can not hit your card.....file a complait with the fcc also

Re: HughsNet is the slimiest most underhanded company I have ever purchased from

Thanks Billy
New Poster

Billy that will ruin Daniels credit also
Ace

Best bet is to use the benefits of your card, Refute the charges and your bank will with hold the charges in dispute. then you can get your day in court so to speak without messing your credit, as Charles said.

Good suggestion, thanks Ace. This might work for the latest billing, but unfortunately not for the past 4 months that I failed to notice. My bad.
New Poster

If you didnt know about the add on charges then the Mods here will help you with that part, If you have a case number post it here or the serial number from the label on the back of the modem just dont post your SAN that way one of the Mods can locate your account and work with you on the over charges
New Poster

surprisingly this is not the first time I have heard of this happening, for some reason they add everything under the sun on your service instead of letting you add them as needed
Advanced Tutor

It happened to me. Now I will check my bill every month. Most folks are too busy.

Thanks Charles. They supposedly have amended my statement to where I should get reimbursed the over charges (in 45 days). We will see. Of course they will or have collected interest on that money. Granted, it isn't much, but if they do it to enough people it adds up. Followed Billy's advice and filed a complaint with the FCC.