Hughesnet Community

I am curious to know why does this happen every couple of months?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CWM030
Sophomore

I am curious to know why does this happen every couple of months?

I am just curious to know why this happens sometimes every couple of months?

The only way to correct this issue is to unplug the modem and wait 30 sec and then plug it back in.

It's a real PITA, I wished Hughs would fix this from happening periodically at random times. 

1.jpeg2.jpeg3.jpeg

8 REPLIES 8
MarkJFine
Professor

Usually this is a symptom of an erratic wifi connection that has corrupted the DNS, not a problem with HughesNet or the modem. You can solve most of the problem by moving your device closer to the modem or by using a LAN cable.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

@MarkJFine  I am on a desktop and I am plugged directly into the modem. 

Is it the only device connected? Once the DNS is corrupted by any one device, it affects all of the devices connected to it.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

@MarkJFine Yes only the desktop is connected to HN. 

To add on to the great info being shared already, this explains it for a regular internet user, as opposed to a website owner: https://us.norton.com/internetsecurity-how-to-your-connection-is-not-private.html#notprivate

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

@GabeU @@Liz  Its weird because I can unplug the modem, wait 30 sec and then plug it back in and everything is fine again without clearing the cache. 

But I will try deleting cookies and see if this happens again.

@CWM030 wrote:

@GabeU @@Liz  Its weird because I can unplug the modem, wait 30 sec and then plug it back in and everything is fine again without clearing the cache. 

But, that's precisely the procedure for clearing the modem's DNS cache.

It's possible that instead of poor wifi there's a site or some application that's hitting the DNS too fast, and not waiting for it to respond in time before going on to something else. That will confuse it but is kind of a rare situation. I used to see it a lot with the 1100, but not with the 2000-series modem.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

There is some additional info on the following website that may help...

https://www.ssl2buy.com/wiki/how-to-fix-neterr_cert_authority_invalid-error-in-chrome