cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am very dissatisfied with HughesNet's excuses. Tell me one thing, do another...that the policy?

Re: I am very dissatisfied with HughesNet's excuses. Tell me one thing, do another...that the policy?

Lisa, thank you for your most generous and understanding information.  I really do appreciate not being under attack because I am so frustrated I could scream.  I don't necessarily understand all of what you are saying, about what I do on my end, but I will learn because of people like yourself taking the time to explain.  Thank you once again.
Freshman

Re: I am very dissatisfied with HughesNet's excuses. Tell me one thing, do another...that the policy?

No problem. I sensed your frustration in the earliest post, and could guess why you were. To you, HughesNet wasn't doing anything. They aren't responsible past the modem and by policy (my guess here from phone company experience) do not help with issues beyond that. If you aren't tech savvy, it can be overwhelming at first to start. It's why I would have helped if I were closer. Hands-on is often faster than "try this, try that" and I could have explained things face to face so you could ask questions and so I could see the times you nodded while your expression said, "I don't understand a word you just said."

Sometimes, illustrations help. ;-)
Freshman

They help with beyond that, etc., by this forum, including their actual representatives here answering questions and acting as moderators. That's better than most phone companies. And they do track down issues in their own equipment. My DSL provider has left me on a bad pair with daily down time for EIGHT YEARS. Talk about a company that doesn't care...
Honorary Alumnus

Cuddlebug & Lisa J

As you both have discovered Hughesnet does not directly support "networking"

The reason being there are so many routers manufactured by so many different companies with so many "bands" and configurations that Hughes simply can't provide customer service on other companies devices spanning many years of production.

For that they do offer the "Home Tech Support" extra cost  ...... call it "Geek Squad by Phone" service.

Then there is of course the Community here were a number of fellow users can try to share their own experiences.

There simply are too many networking variations.

Highlighted

Hughesnet wouldn't give me the 30 day trial period with no ETF even though Directv assured me that I could when I bundled with hughesnet through them. The hughesnet representative said they didn't honor any promotional agreements made through directv and not through them.  The same rep told me that once the technician came out and installed the system, the ETF would apply. The only way to avoid the ETF was to cancel before the system was installed. It essentially says the same thing on their website because I checked afterwards. I feel I was duped by a lot of double talk and now I'm stuck.
Associate Professor

My issue isn't even networking or even the router, it's totally with hughesnet's pathetic 20 gb monthly data cap and low 15 mbps download speeds.  No router can solve those problems -- only hughesnet can.

And before someone reminds me of the "bonus" 50 gb I have at my disposal starting at the ungodly hour of 2 a.m., who needs 50 gb's during those hours? Sure, you can set your devices to download stuff and update things, but what about the rest of us who would prefer to use that 50 gb while we are awake and the 20 gb while we are asleep?
Freshman

I wasn't too surprised at the lack of support for my equipment after the modem, Gwalk, I worked for the phone company in Colorado for years (CWA couldn't find me similar jobs in commuting distance when we located to rural Missouri, and it made me really sad).

I loved the results of this thread, though, and probably mistakenly like to believe that my answers calmed cuddlebug down enough to take a step back and realize the voices on this forum from regular posters weren't being purposely antagonizing. It's neat to see her still here encouraging other frustrated customers. :-)

Can't wait until the move is over and winter comes and I have more time to help, too.

When you look at the total number -- 70 gb's...you think you're really getting a great deal until you realize that half-way through the month your 20 gbs are long gone and even after 30 days you haven't used up even half of your "bonus" 50 gb's...so it's like false advertising...you think you're getting something, which actually all you're getting is short-changed and bamboozled.