cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can only use my tv for 1 week out of the month!

I can only use my tv for 1 week out of the month!

I can only use my tv for 1 week out of the month due to the fact that hughesnet does not give enough data. Their ploy is to get you to pay for more during the month. Take a look at their Yelp reviews. Every single person gave them the lowest rating they could possibly get. And because of where I live, they are the only internet service I can use. HUGHESNET, I know you constantly get complaints so why don't you do something about it? I take a survey every single time after I call in to complain. Customer support have been kind and helpful but can only do so much. Why don't you give more data? I'm so frustrated and taking surveys doesn't help if you aren't going to change anything.  Please listen to your customers.
7 REPLIES 7
Honorary Alumnus

Re: I can only use my tv for 1 week out of the month!

A data capped service does not lend itself well to "cable cutting".

If you must stream do it at lower resolution levels and with an eye on the usage meter.

Distinguished Professor IV

Because of where I live and what I have to deal with, it's DirecTV for TV and Hughesnet for internet.  That's just the way it is.  

Hughesnet isn't made for regular streaming.  It can be used for streaming, but within reason and conservatively.   

The system throughput is more restricted than land based ISPs so it's not an alternative for them when it comes to high data activities.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Assistant Professor

If Netflix might I suggest medium or low definition?  https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

Still can not do it for hours a day everyday. Like others are saying, satellite internet is not a "cord cutter" solution for TV and movie streaming.

Hi wenderwoman,

Welcome to our community! We use our community to help customers who have any questions or concerns about their service. In regards to your monthly data, since there is a cap it is not recommended that you use satellite internet as a replacement of regular cable or satellite TV. We do differ from cell phone companies in that we do not charge you overages or shut off your service if you exceed your monthly data - so no surprise charges. You do have the option of purchasing tokens at your own discretion. Our support agents are available 24/7 to help with connectivity and billing issues however do not specialize in the variety of 3rd party devices available today. Generally if you need assistance with those devices you do have the ability to reach out to those manufacturers.

I recommend the advice of our Champs and many other knowledgeable customers here in the community on how to conserve data. They have been known to be incredibly helpful Smiley Happy

Thanks
Amanda

Amanda- I have tried lower resolution and other various ways to make this work.  I am not going to buy any tokens as I already pay $40/mo for the worst internet on this earth.  I suggest you go to yelp and look at all of the reviews there.  The only reason hughesnet has 1 star is because you cannot choose zero stars on yelp.  I know you only work for the company and I place no blame on you whatsoever but what I wish you would do is take all of these negative reviews and give them to an executive in the company to read.  Someone, someway needs to make big changes in this company.
Distinguished Professor III

They can't make changes to the laws of physics. This is how satellite works.  As for Yelp, that's a tiny percentage of people complaining because they can't learn to use a service.  The company has millions of customers who are doing just fine.  Maybe discontent customers need to make their own changes, such as learning how to use the system or perhaps moving to where there's cable.
Distinguished Professor IV

They can't give something that they don't have to give.  They can't give the kind of data needed for regular streaming, and certainly not unlimited data.  The system has a finite throughput and they have to create data plans that are amenable to that throughput.  

Satellite isn't a replacement for ground based ISPs when it comes to data intensive activities, like streaming, and won't be any time in the near future, if ever.  

My suggestion is to get satellite TV if TV is that important to you.  Many of us, and I'd even venture to say that most of us, have satellite TV for our TV viewing pleasure.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro