Hughesnet Community

I cannot connect to rockstar social club with grand theft auto 5. My connection keeps timing out

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bob5
Sophomore

I cannot connect to rockstar social club with grand theft auto 5. My connection keeps timing out

A game I installed requires a connection to Rockstar social club. When I launch it it keeps timing out. There was an issue with this in the past on Hughes end but they fixed it with some kind of certificate. Can you fix this again?
8 REPLIES 8
Liz

Hi Bob, thanks for posting.

Have you ever been able to successfully connect to Rockstar Social Club?

If not, it's likely the high ping inherent in satellite technology may be the cause. With satellite service, the data must travel up to the satellite and back (about 45,000 miles). This round trip adds about a half-second delay to the total time your computer takes to communicate with a Website or host server. That will prevent real-time, multi-player games from establishing or maintaining a reliable connection with the gaming server.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Bob5
Sophomore

yes I have but it has been a few weeks. I am not playing multiplayer. Just getting trying to get game updates.
Liz

OK, let's get some additional information to help address your concerns.

Have there been any changes to your system prior to your concerns?

Does disabling Web Acceleration make a difference? (Enter 92.168.0.1 in your browser then follow the steps here to find where to toggle Web Acceleration: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/can_i_enable_disable_my_web_acceleration_myself)

How are you trying to access RSC, computer or console?

If on computer, does this happen in different browsers?

Does this happen on both computer and console?

Does this happen on a non-HughesNet connection?

Does this happen even after clearing your browser cache? (How-to here: refreshyourcache.com)

Does powercycling your modem make a difference? (Unplug the HughesNet modem's power cord from the brick for 30 seconds before replugging.)

Does this happen even when directly connected to the HughesNet modem?

Does power cycling your router make a difference?

Does power cycling your computer make a difference?

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are greatly appreciated so that we can address your concerns.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Bob5
Sophomore

I took my pc to sons house and it connects fine. Brought it home and disconnected router, turned off web acceleration rebooted modem and still a no go.

Bob5
Sophomore

Ok this is not fun anymore. I still cant connect to any rockstar servers. None of my games that use their servers will connect. I know its only games but when you are disabled there is not a lot else you can do. Please fix this.
Bob5
Sophomore

Everything started working tonight. I don't know what happened but connection is fine now. Thanks for the help Liz
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Glad it's working for you.  It may simply be that the servers you have to connect to for that service are very touchy.  There are a couple of sites and services that I've had issues with when using Hughesnet.  One I got to work, and the other I finally just gave up on and never bothered with again, but I can understand that it's a little more important for you in your situation.  I'm sure it boils down to latency (the ping time Liz mentioned), as for the most part that's the biggest difference between satellite and landline services.  I know that latency can affect things other than twitch games, as well.  Again, I'm glad it's working for you.  I hope it stays that way.  🙂 
Liz

Glad to hear Bob! Thanks for the update.

-Liz