I connect to my D-Link wifi now but can't connect directly modem via cable

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tony1Pass1
Freshman

I connect to my D-Link wifi now but can't connect directly modem via cable

Hi, I have a Lenovo Windows 10 pretty new laptop. I recently had Tech support to get the laptop to connect to the D-Link wireless router. We succeeded in that but if I want to take off the router and connect via cable to the modem, I can't find any way to do that. In the lower right hand of the computer screen, I click on the little /\ arrow which pops up a little box. But it now does not show any connection. I went to "Start" then into Settings, then to "Network and Internet" which shows "status," "Ethernet," "Dial-up," and "VPN."

What do I do to connect directly to the modem NOT using the wireless router? I want to go back and forth. I think the directly tethered to the modem is faster speeds.
Thanks for any help!
Tony

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Dear friends,

I wish to thank you for your help. I typed up a response yesterday but do not see it in this thread now.
Anyway, yesterday I clicked on the little up arrow on the right side of my task bar to open up the little box to show my internet connection. It only showed Wi-fi. But there is a line Troubleshoot or Network settings. Can't remember which one it was but I clicked on one and Windows 10 went to a larger box asking me if I wanted to fix a connection problem or add another way to get on the internet (sorry, can't remember the words). So I let it set me up. The first question was "do you want to connect by Wi-fi?" or something like that? and I said to dismiss that and go on. Then it set me up to connect through my modem. Cool! Now I can connect to either Wi-fi or just directly connected to the modem.
In the future, if I have a similar problem I'll go directly to my Device Manager and enable the connection that way.
Thanks to all of you who took your valuable time to help me. I really do appreciate it!

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16