cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I had a problem with a new install that came with a HughesNet phone where by I could hear clearly the other party they could not hear me.

I had a problem with a new install that came with a HughesNet phone where by I could hear clearly the other party they could not hear me.

I ordered the HughesNet phone and when I got it I could hear the other person but they could not hear me.  i called and talked to upper level in support.  After checking out my system and agreeing that I do have a problem.  He said they would have to send me a corrected one since many others had the same problem.  I use the internet mainly the telephone.  At present I ALSO have Magic Jack on WildBlue Sat.   Thefore paying for both.  If I cannot get Hughesnet phone to work.  I will have to cancel service and stick with WildBlue SatALSO why can't I use Magic Jack phone service that cost 30.00 per year on HughesNet when both use VoIP    Simple it was made to only work on HughesNet system    And that is why HugesNet is having a problem making it work  What about Net Neutrality and the NCTA < National Cable & TeleCommumications Associations > That makes it so that any device may be used ??? If you don't know about it You will in the near future !!!
3 REPLIES 3
Alum

Re: I had a problem with a new install that came with a HughesNet phone where by I could hear clearly the other party they could not hear me.

Hi WebberDK,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community! I'm sorry to hear that you had trouble getting your VoIP installed. As Bill mentioned the difference between our VoIP package in comparison to others is the fact that our service is standalone. It is designed in a way that we feel is the most ideal option for our customers and you will never have to sacrifice using your allotted data just to make phone calls.

We would like to pull up your account and see what we can do for you. Can you post a recent case number or the serial number on the back/bottom of your modem? If you still have not been able to get this resolved I'm sure we can help.

Thank you,
Chris 
Sophomore

Re: I had a problem with a new install that came with a HughesNet phone where by I could hear clearly the other party they could not hear me.

I think my HughesNet Phone is great. But I am coming from a position of not having any other phone option. Although there is some latency, I think Hughes has done an outstanding job of reducing latency as far a possible.
Associate Professor

WebberDK,

The Hughes VOIP system uses it's own dedicated channel on the network and isn't exactly like a normal VOIP service as it has been customized heavily to work with Satellite properly.  Net Neutrality has no jurisdiction as Magic Jack can't communicate due to the latency, it's most likely a little too high for the MagicJack device.

As for Net Neutrality, have you actually fully read and understood it?  It's to prevent Hughes from blocking the use of legal services, and to prevent providers from being hostile with one another.  It doesn't protect your use of a service if that service wont work in the conditions of the network, which in this case is high latency.  VOIP tends to require a low-latency system, hence the reason the system was designed for a single VOIP unit to work on it's own dedicated channel.  Hughes can't just go out and create a special channel for every VOIP device on the market, nor create the software for every VOIP device to work with Hughesnet.