I hate hughsnet

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Guappojoe
Freshman

I hate hughsnet

Here I sit trying to watch a show on amazon and it paused ever 16 to 18 seconds.. which is an improvement over my normal experience. I have video if anyone is interested. I’ve called highnet .., no help and they told me that my tv was to far from the modem...20 feet in the same room... the installers say that’s not true it’s more than close enough, the sales person told me 100’ No problem because I specifically asked that Question before purchasing. So we got a full 9 min of programming, pausing to spin for 35 seconds every 16-18 seconds, tonight before is stopped I gave up... like normal. I’ve had the tech out and they tell me the speeds are great.... then why can’t I watch tv? biggest waste of money ever
19 REPLIES 19
MarkJFine
Professor

It's because of latency. If you'd done your research or even searched this site, you'd have seen that satellite internet is not optimum for streaming, especially at high usage times during the day.

If you came on here to just gripe, please take it to social media. That's not what this site is for.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Thank you professor, obviously not an ethics professor..... I turned to social media as instructed ... as I’m sure you’re aware HughesNet advertises speeds that support Netflix and other streaming platforms... you have to dig deeper than an internet google search of reviews to find the true reviews. Thanks to your advice I found multiple social media groups with experiences just like mine with advise to get out of the BS due to false advertising and just inexcusable lies about the service.. so I thank you for your helpful advise and wish you the best of luck in the future waiting for the spinning wheel of death. Best of luck to you.

Have a great day,

GuappoJoe

They advertise, in HughesNet's specific language is: "...watch the latest videos...". Meaning short, one-minute Youtube videos, not feature length TV shows or movies. Nowhere do they advertise "speeds that support Netflix and other streaming platforms". And again: THE ISSUE IS LATENCY, NOT SPEED, learn the difference.

If your intent is to poke fun at the arbitrary 'title' the site gives me so you can childishly make yourself feel superior, have at it, bless your heart.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Thank you for reaching out, I would be happy to assist you regarding this issue. Please send me a private message with the SAN or the phone number registered to the account.

Kathy

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Guappojoe 

One other thing to keep in mind that of all of the streaming services, Amazon seems to be the most problematic.  System load right now is very high because of the pandemic, and when the congestion caused by that system load is coupled with the high latency inherent to geostationary satellite internet, streaming ability suffers.  And, ironically, so many more people trying to stream than would normally be the case is what's causing the problems.  i.e. too much streaming on a system not designed for so much of it is what's causing the problems with streaming, and the later in the day it is the worse it gets.

You may want to look into PlayOn Cloud.

I'm glad I have satellite TV.

wolfer
Freshman

im having the same problem. its irritating to be paying 80 bucks a month and yhe only service you get is being pissed off every day.  wont play a video on youtube, no netflix videos, amazon is a complete waste of time. i can google something is about all i can do. i have to use my phone for just about everything, pretty pathetic i should of done more research as well and not relied on false advertisement and now im stuck paying 80 bucks a month for a couple years for something that pisses me off every single day. Thanks Hughes net!

GabeU

@wolfer 

Then you should take advantage of this Support Community and ask for support by starting your own topic. 

If you're just looking to complain, please do it elsewhere. 

im being ripped off for 80 bucks a month. i will complain and post anywhere i want 

GabeU

@wolfer wrote:

im being ripped off for 80 bucks a month. i will complain and post anywhere i want 

The HughesNet subscribers who utilize this SUPPORT Community to get support for their issues have nothing to do with you or your issues.  This is a Support Community.  Regardless of your opinion of HughesNet, they don't deserve your disrespect.

maratsade

This isn't social media -- it's a tech support site, so if you'd like tech support, start a new ticket under the Tech Support section. Just click "start a topic" and explain in detail what problems you're having, and be prepared to do some troubleshooting.  HughesNet works fine for streaming under most conditions, though users may have more buffering in the evening when everyone is trying to do the same thing.  

If the service doesn't work for you, a more proactive approach would be to cancel the account and just use your phone, if that's working for you. What you're doing right now will not fix your issues.  And yes, you should have done research; everyone should research products and services before making a commitment. 

wolfer wrote:

im having the same problem. its irritating to be paying 80 bucks a month and yhe only service you get is being pissed off every day.  wont play a video on youtube, no netflix videos, amazon is a complete waste of time. i can google something is about all i can do. i have to use my phone for just about everything, pretty pathetic i should of done more research as well and not relied on false advertisement and now im stuck paying 80 bucks a month for a couple years for something that pisses me off every single day. Thanks Hughes net!

false advertisement should be a crime. people shouldnt be having to do a bunch of research to check on a company who claims to have great service. they should just be honest and say thier service is extremely slow and most times never works   for streaming vidoes but you can still get online and shop. some people may still sign up but most wouldnt. its almost like an entraptment pyramid scam. pretty pathetic way to do buisiness

maratsade

There are disclaimers on the website, on the ads, and in the subscriber agreement, so there is no false advertisement here. 

I get you're very frustrated, but you're the only person who has your best interests at heart, which is why you should do research before committing to something.  If you had done research, you would have seen the limitations of the service and either accepted them and learned to live with them or looked for a different service. 

And you still have the option to cancel the service if it doesn't work for you. 

wolfer wrote:

false advertisement should be a crime. people shouldnt be having to do a bunch of research to check on a company who claims to have great service. they should just be honest and say thier service is extremely slow and most times never works   for streaming vidoes but you can still get online and shop. some people may still sign up but most wouldnt. its almost like an entraptment pyramid scam. pretty pathetic way to do buisiness

it may not be false advertisement but not being upfront about your service and hiding it in fine print is a shady way to do buisiness. i realize this is america and thats the way corporations do buisiness so im just going to have to bend over and accept it

It is false advertising. I specifically went through what I expected/needed with the sales person who assured me that it was no problem. I explained the sows I watched the apps I had and what I needed to work; I was told no problem on all counts. The sales people represent the company and hughsnet is responsible for that so I don’t understand why Gabeu feels like it can be separated or shrugged of with fine print that’s BS and he should be ashamed. I did internet searches on the service and hughsnet does a great job of directing you to their own reviews and advertising. The social media cue I got from here revealed the seedy under belly of deception and lies. Go to Facebook and type I hate hughs net in the search... provided you can even go on face with this service... there are several guides to do EF See See (hughsnet won’t allow you to type the actual letters ... figures 🙄) and better business bureau complaints and get out of your contract. It’s a frustrating process. Unlike they tell you or advertise satellite internet is a last ditch option only and Hughsnet lies about the service and manipulates reviews ... that’s false advertising

Another Kevin heard from

Wow Mark

Man you are hilarious! You should totally share that with both your friends 😂😂

Ohh man you got me good.. 😂. Whew

So good
GabeU

@Guappojoe 

Shrugged off?  Take it as a lesson learned.  Research what you're signing up for before doing so, and that includes reading the subscriber agreement, which far to few people bother to do.  There is absolutely NO reason that each and every person who chooses to sign up for service should not know what they are signing up for.  None.  Every HughesNet advertisement, including print, includes the same type of caveat.  From HughesNet's main website...

"**The HughesNet Gen5 service plans are designed to deliver download speeds of 25 Mbps and upload speeds of 3 Mbps, but individual customers may experience different speeds at different times of the day. Speeds and uninterrupted use are not guaranteed and may vary based on a variety of factors including: the configuration of your computer, the number of concurrent users, network or Internet congestion, the capabilities and content of the websites you are accessing, network management practices as deemed necessary, and other factors. When you connect to the HughesNet service using Wi-Fi, your experience will vary based on your proximity to the Wi-Fi source and the strength of the signal."

And if you feel that you were misled by the sales person, start a new topic in "My Account and Billing" and ask for a sales call review.  If it's determined that appropriate expectations were not set by that sales rep you may have recourse.  But it's only a SUPPORT COMMUNITY, so why would you actually ask for support?  I guess it's better to just treat it like social media and rant.  SMH.

Gabe

I posted here again to reply to wolfer with some direction, should they choose. I should have a greater understanding of the different way This technology is delivered... but realistically there’s only so many hours in my day so I like you rely on salespeople, experts, reviews to make choices...when one of those sources lies then we all suffer. If you call me for help or to use the professional service that I’m trained in I’m not going to lie to you make a sale... it’s an ethics thing... so yes I agree, in hindsight, I Should have probably Spent many more ours to learn about latency and speeds and all those thing to protect myself ... but really I shouldn’t have to be a expert on every service I use

GabeU

@Guappojoe 

As stated, if you feel you were misled during you sales call, request a sales call review.