cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a few requests for HughesNet.

I have a few requests for HughesNet.

Amanda suggested that I return to the public group as she is no longer able to assist me in my requests.   I have everything written down in documentation, but, I will try and keep the story short and my requests VERY CLEAR.

My problems started actually about 5 weeks ago, however, I was not aware of it until 3 weeks ago, July 26, 2016. Our data was throttled as the result of extreme data usage over the month. Basically, 46GB of data over 20 accumulative hours. IMPORTANT TO NOTE, I noticed the data usage, AND REPORTED the data LOSS to HughesNet within the same day of the last major data loss on July 26th, 2016. Also, please note, we do NOT watch streaming movies or shows of any kind that are live and streamed. We also are not gamers, nor, are we much in to You Tube. TWO IMPORTANT THNGS TO REMEMBER- A) This data usage/loss (NOT BY US or BY OUR DEVICES) caused our system to be throttled with 8 days left in our cycle (Thank you to Chris and a Tech in Tx for giving me data tokens) and B) obviously, this amount of data usage is so out of the norm in our system history since early February 2016.

I reported our difficulties to Hughesnet in an Email to them via their server on July 26. On July 27, I received a phone call from a tech by the name of Martin, This was the first of 4 techs I would speak with in a 24 hour period. Every one of the techs or customer service people were rude, condescending, and accusatory towards my husband and myself. One tech accused me of not divulging that I have children, I finally stopped his heckling by asking if he would like a copy of my infertility records, another tech accused my husband of doing immoral things and downloading immoral items from the internet. The list is huge, and yes, I documented all of it in 4 pages.

I literally stumbled across THIS GROUP! THIS GROUP IS WHERE I LEARNED ALL ABOUT DATA USAGE, THE DATA MONITOR, etc. The people in this group ARE INCREDIBLE, and I only hope that Hughesnet somehow reimburses you for the time and effort you take in upholding their product and company name. Truly, you  ALL AMAZE ME!  I followed EVERYONE’s advice, including going private with my messages to Amanda. In my discussions with Amanda, she encouraged me to eliminate ANYTHING possibly data consuming to see what was happening with the data. AGAIN... this is not a SMALL trickle of Data, this was HUGE AMOUNTS taken out usually during short frequencies. Examples of which are, 12GB between the hours of 12-5am (5 hours) on July 22, 15GB between the hours of 6am-11am (5Hours)on July 26. Just to name a few.  So, while I understand eliminating all of the data influences, these alone did not cause the problem, or the main issue. ALL of this time, I made the incorrect assumption that some sort of investigating was going on to A) find the techs I spoke to and somehow re educate them?, B) find the source of the large data loss, so it doesn’t happen again. After all, I am doing MY part, by eliminating data in any and every which way possible, I made the wrong assumption that Hughesnet was ALSO trying to figure out things on their end. THIS IS WHERE I WAS WRONG... I asked earlier this week, the status of my account, and Amanda’s reply was simple....

“I am not sure I had mentioned if we were looking into this in some way after determining we'd lock your network down and go from there... The last update I have from you is that setting up the iCloud the way you did helped out with the data problem and you had not lost any "chunks"

I can not tell you how disappointed and completely floored I am by this response. My “data problem” was NEVER the fact that my I cloud was now set up differently? My problem was the way I was treated by customer service, AND that I had massively huge amounts of data lost and nobody has bothered to look at WHY and how it can be prevented again!?

SO- SPECIFICALLY--- This is what I need help or assistance with. This is what I want HughesNet to do for me, after everything I have on my end to help with the issue.

1)   WHEN AM I ABLE TO STOP DOING THE FOLLOWING? I would LIKE to get my devices back to working order?

I have currently shut off the I cloud automatic back ups, and I back up manually EARLY during the Bonus Bytes time on Sunday and Monday.

My ICloud drives are OFF- My devices do not communicate with each other, I purchased the devices to communicate with each other and I have been using this for years.

ANYTIME a download of any kind that we are doing, we document the data used before and after.

I take note three times a day of data usage.

2)   I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THAT ALL OF THE TECHS I INTERACTED WITH FROM JULY 26-27, 2016 to ARE LOCATED and at the VERY least, re educated on how to properly address a customer’s complaints.

3)   I WOULD LIKE AN EXPLANATION OF THE ENORMOUS DATA LOSS THRU MY SYSTEM ON THE DATES OF JULY 16, 22, 23, and 26th, 2016. PLEASE do NOT give me the excuse that these things happened too long ago, to investigate. YES, they are now a long time ago, BUT, MY FIRST CONTACT with HughesNet was JULY 26, the very SAME day that there was a data download of 15GB over a 5 hour period.

I am NOT ASKING TO GET OUT of My contract. I signed the line. However, I am doing MY part, when will HughesNet do THEIR part?  As I told Amanda, I am not going away, I will be here for the duration... so, please take care of this problem ASAP, so that I can go back to enjoying my devices!

My only other course, is to go public with my issues by contacting the BBB, The Public Service Commission, and the FCC.

We are currently using approx 1GB every 48 hours with all of our data devices turned off. Which roughly means about 16-17 GBs of data a month are being used (give or take). We are paying for 50GB! WE WOULD LIKE TO USE IT!

HUGHESNET—THE BALL IS IN YOUR COURT—PLEASE CONTACT ME.

Kim Byrne

26 REPLIES 26
Honorary Alumnus

Re: I have a few requests for HughesNet.

Kim,
I guess the root of the issue is this:
Hughes is a supplier of ISP services and that stops at the modems LAN port.
They really aren't set up to investigate much beyond that point due to that vast array of networking equipment and devices in use by subscribers and all the programs and background processes involved.
Having said that . .. data can only be used either by the modem or on the users networked devices.

I think you have likely done the modem isolation test. If that came out negative we have to conclude that something on your network is using data.

There are users in the Community, such as myself, that will go to any length to help you find out what it us.

To that end in an effort to help you without having to reread all of your posts would you please list all of your equipment .

Thanks so much! My equipment is
HP PC computer, I do NOT, NOR HAVE I EVER HAD the Support Assistant software.
HP printer, again, not using the options of wifi access. I eliminated ALL of that. This printer is new. The other two printers I had were not wireless.
2 Apple iPhone 6+
2apple IPad Air.
On all four of the above devices, auto play is turned off, none of the devices are on the cloud drive, nor are they allowed to automatically update to the iCloud (two different things)
One lap top computer, my husband uses this computer for social media and email and games within the laptop, like solitaire, minesweeper, games that do NOT use the Internet to play.
Direct TV is not hooked to the Internet, we do not download anything.

That is everything.... I have done all of this unhooking, Un connecting, after I spoke to all of you and you all explained to me what needed to be done. None of this information was given to me by hughesnet, it was all given to me by all of you!

Thanks!
Honorary Alumnus

Hi kim,
I'm on my tablet at work right now but I'll try to respond in detail in the morning.

Thanks so much! Actually I am being hospitalized tomorrow for a few days, so I will be MIA. I MAY read ... But won't be home. I have multiple autoimmune issues... Hospital visits are "normal" kind of... Thanks so much!
Assistant Professor

Ugh, wife has pretty severe rheumatoid arthritis. Doctor trying to convince her to do the hospital visits for blood cleaning/infusions. So far she's not having it.

Best wishes, definitely can empathize. 

in all honesty Bird Dog-- I have RA and Crohns.. this week it is hospitalization for crohns, usually it is for the RA. But, if at all you can convince her to do the infusions. RA does damage not only to your joints, but to your internal organs as well, did you know that? RA can get in to your kidneys, your lungs, and your heart. Mine has just started migrating to my heart, It has been in my lungs for about 3 years, which causes horrible pneumonia that has hospitalized me for 16 days at a time.RA basically causes inflammation in those organs.. just as it causes inflammation in your joints. the inflammation in my heart has now started serious issues with tachycardia, etc.  I have been diagnosed with both disease for 5 years.. i have educated myself, because frankly, WE HAVE to be our OWN advocate-- like anything else... you advocate on here.. I advocate on my FB and via email-- please feel free to friend me either yourself, or your wife, or both,  on FB under Kim Byrne  or email me at [edited for privacy]  and, in the meantime, please give your wife all the love, and care and help that you can, she is truly appreciative. My husband is INCREDIBLE, and I TRULY could NOT be fighting this without him by my side... i am blessed to have him. god bless... I am off for the night... Kim
Honorary Alumnus

Kim,
Best of luck tomorrow.
Assistant Professor

Liked your reply although seems awkward considering the subject. Like Gwalk900 said, best thoughts for tomorrow.

I have to convince my wife to be more aggressive at fighting the disease. I'm going to print out your reply and give it to her.
Highlighted

Haha, when you deal with this stuff, it is just "normal" life! Seriously, my offer stands, I will happily try and help you and your wife in fighting this disease. It is truly SO MUCH easier as a team. You have no idea how important my husband is in my treatment! I was not an aggressive person until actually my husband was dx with kidney cancer, it was then I learned quickly that I had to be an advocate, and shortly after, I was dx and learned I had to be an advocate concerning these diseases. I have been thru all of the treatments and they all failed, and some made me very sick. However, my joint damage is minimal currently, and I am still able to do all activities w my hands. I can't walk, or do the physical activities like training my dog, hunting, tracking, etc like I loved.. But, at least I still have my hands. I think it is because of the treatments I have done and how aggressive I have been. I also go to university of Miami, a premier in treating auto immune disease, it is over 2 hours away, and in, well, Miami, the Zika capital of the year (!), but that is where "my team" is... Please express to your wife, I would LOVE TO "meet" her and help her navigate... It is a horrible disease, but you can live with it, you can be happy, you can participate in life...! Truly, this disease has not defined me as a person, but it has taught me so many things, that I am actually grateful, in that respect , for it... Anyway, my offer stands for the BOTH of you! You have my contacts, it is not just your wife's disease... You have done so much for me on this board as well, and I sincerely thank you! Kim. (The pic is Annie, my best bird dog, and it just shows to what lengths my dog will go to find a bird, the same tenacity I use when fighting my Med issues! )