cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a few requests for HughesNet.

New Poster

Re: I have a few requests for HughesNet.

Gwalk900, I know I keep having this conversation with you in various ways.  I understand Hughesnet is an ISP and their service ends at the modem.  I understand  computer technology and services, , having spent my career involved with them. 

I don't know how you go to  "Hughes  can not provide detailed support for every model and version of every computer ever built ... HP, Acer, Sony and home built each with an endless mix of software published by how many software developers ?" 
If that is what you are hearing me say, then I apologize.  I am not being clear.

What I am suggesting is Hughes analyze  Hughes log data for Lab-lover during the high download usage when Lab-Lover says that usage should not exist.    What I am saying is that in TCP/IP communications variables can occur "within" the Hughes download process that may cause resets and failed downloads, unbeknown to the customer and Hughes.  It may not be equipment related, it could be software related on Hughes end.  Hughes technicians should be able to isolate a customers logs and  evaluate to determine conclusively if resets are being issued by looking at a specific time period the customer has identified, as in Lab-lovers situation.    I think Hughes is still responsible for the Hughes data logs? 

Maybe that is what you mean when you say:
"The Modem logs are scrutinized for firmware update/fallback loops among other things." 

If it is, I think what is missing is aligning the time period in question. If Hughes had a log of that timeframe, then it would correspond to when the customer is having the issue.
Honorary Alumnus

Actually that info is available to users from the modems advanced pages, the state code monitor logs, the diagnostics logs that give occurrence times in UT time format and upload/download data in three separate history readouts.
New Poster

Do you have screen shot of what you're talking about?  Maybe I've missed it in all the posts on the troubleshooting.  Thanks.
Honorary Alumnus

Hello Rich,

"What I am suggesting is Hughes analyze  Hughes log data for Lab-lover during the high download usage when Lab-Lover says that usage should not exist"

The period in question was never publicly stated as the thread was reclassified as "private" at the request of Lab Lover. Kim of course would know the date/time periods and the "shut-off" state of her equipment. I can think of three  different conditions of "off" two of which would allow periodic automatic connection and hence data use.

"What I am saying is that in TCP/IP communications variables can occur "within" the Hughes download process that may cause resets and failed downloads, unbeknown to the customer and Hughes."

Of course there can be errors in any communication protocol but it would tend to manifest itself more as inflated usage rather than phantom usage.

"Hughes technicians should be able to isolate a customers logs and  evaluate to determine conclusively if resets are being issued"

Who said anything about "resets" ?

To me that means something that was running  was interrupted and then restarted.

Yup, possible but it would be reflected in the modem logs  as a changing modcod and high transmitter failure rates.

Those logs are going to be related to overall system condition and not specifically what of from where  the data consisted of.

we have for example the more easily read output of the State Code Monitor:

Harder to read but there are event logs:

Next we have a broad view of system condition with System Status page of the SCC:

Next we have the rolling 24 hour Hourly Diagnostic page.

This display is tied to UTC time format so any conditions or activity can be correlated with a users local time zone.

Note also the "activity level" cues:

Clicking on an error or hour column will provide details of the period: 

There are then details of the current hour broken down into 5 minute periods:

Next we have archived  "snapshots" taken at various times along with their UTC date/timestamps:

Hughes is able to see if only a single device is connected or if a router is in use:

And what the type of router or device is connected and its MAC address:

Hughes offer several ways to see WHEN  data is used along with how much and in which direction:

From the Dashboard with views of: rolling 24 hour, week, month or two month periods:

Next we have the "history" output from the Download Status Meter with views of 1 week, 2 weeks, a month and 2 months:

Finally as a "history" we have the no longer supported legacy readout. It needs to be taken with a grain of salt but still has its uses if used properly:

Rich, there are numerous methods to see when  usage occurred, there are numerous methods to see what the system conditions  were when any activity is claimed to occur.

What we DON'T have and SHOULD NOT have is WHAT was uploaded/downloaded.

That gets into privacy areas and should only happen with a valid court order.

If a user  makes a choice to install monitoring software on their computer that will show every location of every connection then that is their choice.

We already have massive privacy issues with browsers and other installed software collecting and sharing information along with Microsoft's new "telemetry" feature.

You seem to promote two things:

#1: That Hughes logs a users activity.

No, No, a thousand times No.

#2: That TCP/IP errors are occurring that are "breaking" downloads and causing restarts of those downloads and that those errors are occurring within the "communication loop" that is present in a Hughes subscribers connection.

Lets look at where data can go:

#1: On the Hughes "end".

Easy to check ... do one or more (until satisfied) modem isolation tests.

#2: On the subscribers end:

It takes simplifying a users connected devices ...

One computer, directly connected and monitored for behavior.

Add each cleared computer back in under a controlled set of conditions.

You mentioned to "complexity" of TCP/IP. Great, I agree. We DO have to consider the following:

Each, let me repeat that, Each computer connected has 65,536 comm ports.

At browser will use port 80. An email client program will use two more, one each for incoming and outgoing email activities. That leaves a more than a bunch of potential connections and this on a single computer.

Throw in a router that allows more than a single WIRED computer and things have really multiplied, add too that the routers own setting/firmware/vulnerabilities and the potentials get even more numerous than add too THAT the routers wireless connection avenues with way more than one vulnerability along with all of the non-computer wireless devices and you would rather we don't look into those areas and instead focus on TCP/IP errors ?

Honestly, I exclude nothing, but without evidence that the modem is having connectivity issues, the greatest likelihood is with the connected equipment.

New Poster

Thanks Galkw900.   I appreciate the effort to put these up and explanations.  From your note:

You seem to promote two things:

#1: That Hughes logs a users activity.

No, No, a thousand times No.  "I'll add another "no" for a 1001!  Not what I am promoting.

#2: That TCP/IP errors are occurring that are "breaking" downloads and causing restarts of those downloads and that those errors are occurring within the "communication loop" that is present in a Hughes subscribers connection.

"this is what I am suggesting as a possibility.   "Promoting " would not be the right word.   If it happens to more than one customer in the same timeframe, then that opens a possible gateway issue.  It could be maintenance, solar flares, who knows.   But I get the impression from posts a number of folks are unaware of huge data spikes. 

How did you get to the "advanced" tab?  I have the HT1100 modem.  I go to the system center and while the display is similar, but I am not seeing the advanced section. 

I would like to monitor and review these for my own diagnostcs when a "leak" occurs on my connection.  

I am humming along this month, connected to my modem and no data loss. For the life of me I can't think of anything different I am doing from last month when my data was being consumed at a much faster rate.  Looking at the event logs and other tools may help with troubleshooting my own connection.  

Thanks again for your help.

Honorary Alumnus

I'm on my tablet at the moment so I can't post a screenshot so I'll just try to describe it.
Open the modems SCC at 192.168.0.1
Near the top, just right of center is a small faint "i"
Click on the I and that will open the initial advanced page.
From there look at the "menu" on the left that can be expanded
Look at the menu selections I had in my screenshots posted above.

I too have the HT1100 so your display options will be the same.
New Poster

Thanks again.  That brings it up.  I am just looking for tools to better manage my own data and try to figure out when I'm losing data unexpectedly.  I'll be checking this out and see if helps me out, I expect it will.