Hughesnet Community

I have a simple data usage question.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rehabku1

I have a simple data usage question.

I need this explained to me. The phone customer service can't speak English clearly enough to understand the exact trouble I'm having understanding this word problem. Of course I've heard the saying well half the calls are to the USA centers, well I have the worst luck then.

If the Bonus Free Time (unlimited, because I'm on old plan and NO I'm not interested in upgrading or Gen 4) is 2am-8am, with x being the FACT that my allowance resets approx. 4am. How, I mean HOW does available allowance not show exactly 250 MB or 250 plus rollover at 8am or 7:55am or as earlier as you want to say. Its a simple addition issue in my head. If I FAP'd that day it should be 250mb at 8am or if I have 100mb leftover it should be 350mb. But That's not how it normally shows it. I don't care if its only 5 mb difference before the unlimited period ends it should be exactly the allowance. It NEVER is. Today it was 241mb at 7:50am, well that's only 9 mb you say,  well that nearly 15 tokens a year also. And that's using 9 as the avg, sometimes its 234mb, not to mention my rollover is rarely the amount it was when I check it. and NOW you can't even track your hour by hour usage like you could at first so you got nothing to prove your point.

And please don't explain the whole 50%/100% thing, that's not the issue, I understand that and I also think that's was the dumbest change to tracking the usage, unless the goal was to keep people confused. Seriously 100% of your usage is only when you don't use any for 24 hours. So you pay for 50% of what we consider 100%. SMH, really. but I digress.

If you say its all about the money well as a long time HN customer, who even has the payment of $76 autopayed each month, even though I've strongly disliked my service for the last 7 years, but I am pigeonholed where I live.  76 bucks a month gets you enough internet to keep your email checked and download about 5 app updates a month unless you're utilizing the free period wisely. How can a Fast Food restaurant have better internet that I do after I pay $76 monthly. If my payments were sometimes $5 short or $9 short I'm sure I would hear about it.

-a very unhappy...loyal paying customer.

5 REPLIES 5
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Hummm

A "Hughesnet Day" is going to run from 7am to 2 am with the  "days" allowance added to the previous "days" remainder.

Seems that the "daily deposit" happens at about 6am local so the data allowance for the upcoming Day can be seen while the user is still in the free period.

I can see where the amount of "roll-over" may be questioned because the meter can be "behind" actual usage so that data consumed before the 2am "end of day" may not be accurately reflected but should have had ample time to catch up prior to the 6am "daily deposit".

Which of the meters are you using ?

This one found on your Dashboard (I have Gen4 ) is the most accurate but requires that you log in.

http://my.hughesnet.com/

Your Bonus Bytes will always show as 100% or unlimited but the Anytime Bytes should be accurately displayed.

It would be interesting to see two screenshots of the above meter ... one at .... 3 am (that would allow ample time for "catch-up") and give a value for the amount of roll-over ...

and a second one at .... 6:30 am which SHOULD show roll-over + daily deposit giving a total allowance available for use beginning at 7am.

Keep in mind that all the other meters are subject to "rounding errors".

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

If the Bonus Free Time (unlimited, because I'm on old plan and NO I'm not interested in upgrading or Gen 4) is 2am-8am, with x being the FACT that my allowance resets approx. 4am

9000 legacy plans differ from 9000 "Gen4" plans:

9000 daily: 7:00 am to 2:00 am is the metered Anytime period

2:00 am to 7:00 am is the unmetered free period

9000 Gen4 Monthly plans:

8:00 am to 2:00 am  is the Anytime Bytes period

2:00 am to 8:00 am is the Bonus Bytes period.

At 7:50 am as you posted above, you would have been into your metered Anytime period for 50 minutes.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

not to mention my rollover is rarely the amount it was when I check it. and NOW you can't even track your hour by hour usage like you could at first so you got nothing to prove your point.

Well not exactly ...

While the "hourly history" display has changed to a 24 hour "rolling" display you can still see amounts of upload/download in the pop-up bubble. I do agree though that it now has the limitation of only a 24 hour window.

All is not lost however: (bookmark this one)

http://customercare.myhughesnet.com/frmUsage.cfm

There are a few cautions associated with the above display:

#1: Unlike all the other meters for 9000 & HT1000/1100 systems this display is posted in eastern time NOT local as with all the others.

#2: If less than 24 hours back it will have a couple of "hour line errors" that will correct themselves later.

#3: It will show ALL usage .. that is to say GROSS rather than NET. Net being the amount that is actually deducted from your allowance.

#4: This display is no longer "supported" for 9000 and Gen4 systems, it being a left-over from the 6000/7000 legacy systems days and therefor should be taken with a grain of salt. I does however provide a longer period "look back".

Rehabku1

Good answers. Why can't the customer service on the phone be so concise and easy. I sure thought my hours were only 5 since I've been scheduled downloads for a while but this misleading front page confused me. I've always been told I was HN9000/Spaceway and reading this it seems like the difference is there.  They don't refer to it as bonus bytes or anything just download zone.
Liz

Hi Rehabku,

Thanks for posting, glad to see our champs addressed your concerns. As Gwalk mentioned, that old customer care site you're referring to is, indeed, old. Please use supportcenter.myhughesnet.com for any of the self-service features. If you need assistance with anything in the current support center, please let me know.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!