cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have been contemplating upgrading to Gen4 and would like some input.

Distinguished Professor III

I have been contemplating upgrading to Gen4 and would like some input.

I'm currently on the Pro plan that I've had since 2004.  I live in Western NY (the state, not the city) and I wanted to get some opinions as to whether the Gen4 service is really as good as they advertise, especially from people in the general area of the country I live in.  I know that I won't get the maximum speed, but are the speeds fairly decent?  I was thinking of going with the Pro Plus plan.  The reason I ask is this...if I upgrade to the new plan I know that I have 30 days to cancel it if I don't like it, but if that happens, it's not like I can go back to the plan I presently have, so I will be stuck with either the new plan or nothing.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.   

I really like the idea of still being able to browse (the smart browsing feature) if I end up going over my monthly limit (if it's available for me, that is).  That's actually a HUGE incentive for me, though I don't think I would ever go over the monthly limit, as I don't watch many Youtube videos.  Still, it's a great feature if I would ever need it. 

Please, no Hughesnet reps.  This question is only for the users.   

Thanks for the help.        

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
13 REPLIES 13

Re: I have been contemplating upgrading to Gen4 and would like some input.

I live in Virginia in the boonies & I love it, I got Ultra 50/50 plan for $ 89.99 a month & it is better than Verizon Mi-fi Hot Spot !!!

You should try it & see if you like it, new Hughes 1100 modems work great with Gen 4 !!!
Highlighted

I think you should strongly consider it, I don't live in your area but I live in the boonies & it works great, new HughesNet modem 1100 works great with Gen 4 !!!

In Alabama Gen4 and the 1100 modem work fine. But support sucks! Chat always disconnects before I get an answer. And emails to support have never been answered. And clicking on "Login" always results in a page with "post data", so I can't access my email. AND when using their support my usage is "Sucked Up"! Since I quit using FB I don't even use my 5GB of anytime. We were running out at 50 GB and buying tokens! While using FB.

We're to the southwest of Cooperstown. We have absolutely no complaints. If you have issues, come here first, but you will be pleased with Gen4, for sure.

Hi GabeU,

Welcome and thanks for posting. I just wanted to let you know that the 30 day trial is only applicable to new customers; if you upgrade from your HN7000S, there's no going back.

I hope you find the rest of our community's input helpful.

-Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

I live in Oklahoma and Gen4 works extremely well.  It is so good I have to be careful not to watch HD Video Clips because they just load and run.  The HT1100 Modem seems to be fine and I can have three PCs running updates and browsing all at the same time with little or no difficulties.
Honorary Alumnus

Hi GabeU,

I too was on a 7000s system until about 2 1/2 years ago when I upgraded to the Gen4 platform and have been happy with the change.

I have the 50/50 @ 15 Mbps Ultra plan and routinely get speeds in the 17-20 Mbps range.

Much depends upon the loading of your beam/gateway but I don't recall reading of many complaints here on the forum of issues in your general area.

In the event you were to have any issues just post them here in the community and not only will get official support from the Hughes Reps located in the Hughes Germantown, MD. headquarters but also get input from a number of long time experienced fellow users.

Distinguished Professor III

Thanks for the help, everyone. 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit