Hughesnet Community

I have been having problems with wifi use

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
garyandkimsunde

I have been having problems with wifi use

I have been having problems with wifi use on a Samsung Galaxy 5 and an iPhone 5SE. We seem to have a lot of issues watching video clips on Facebook. They stop after a few seconds then start 1-2 seconds later. I have plenty of data right now and we upgraded to another data plan about a month ago to see if it would fix the issues, but it didn't. Any thoughts on what to do to fix this issue? This is my test speed this morning from my computer. http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/53... --download of 24.6 & 0.86 upload. Not sure if that is good or not. I ran the test on my phone and got these results: download 19.08 with upload of 2.61 (I ran this test about 20 minutes after the first one). Any thoughts on how to make the wifi more effective on the phones? When we switch to the network, we don't have the same streaming issues.
72 REPLIES 72
foxbrook
Sophomore

What kind of router do you have? I just upgraded to an Asus RT-AC68U and the responsiveness of my phones is much better than with my 10 year old Linksys.
bobmp

You may have to "Refresh" your Ram Memory, with an app of by rebooting.
Good
Bob
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

What?
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

More info like router would definitely help. Did this just start, working previously?
donsjgm
Junior

Really sounds like a router issue. With speeds like that there shouldn't be a buffering problem.
Maybe the OP is too far away from the router while watching vids and probably not while speed testing.
Maybe there are too many devices, taxing the router's capacity, during normal use but again not while speed testing.

The OP lends itself to the interpretation that the router throughput is within the area to stream vids without buffering but not under the circumstances of normal use.
It also implies the phones have adequate memory capacity available.

garyandkimsunderland....    

Experiment using your phones under the different situations listed above and see if they answer your question.
If you still have problems, please post additional information and we'll see if we can help.

Don  🙂
Mordacious

Speed testing should never be done through WiFi, it should be done with the router disconnected. This is why he is getting great speeds, he is connected directly to the modem without the router, but then also has good results running a speed test on the phone
I ran the test on my phone and got these results: download 19.08 with upload of 2.61
The buffering problem occurs with FB. Your DL speed is only as good as the server you are DLing from. Sounds like a FB issue, not Hughesnet. Might try doing a ping to FB and see how that comes back.
donsjgm
Junior

Excellent observation Bill.
The OP's post indicated the buffering was not present using the phone's network is why I left the FB server out of the equation.

Here, for me at least, I get the same speeds with or without the router and wifi vs Ethernet.
This is not the case with the avg user.
In cases where I need to absolutely sure, I do connect directly to the modem.
Mordacious

Every now and then I have a lucid moment. At my age you enjoy those as much as you can.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Lucid moment...I've heard of that.  Never had one, myself. 
Mordacious

Wait until you get to your golden years and find out the only thing golden is your urine.
GabeU

ROFLMAO!!!!
Chris11
Alum

Hi GaryandKim,

Thanks for posting and welcome. Your speeds look good. That is above what we advertise for your plan. Definitely would help us if we knew what type of router you have and how old it is. Also, are the two phones the only devices you have on the network? Looking forward to your reply.

Thank you,
Chris
garyandkimsunde

Hi Chris,
I did another speed test tonight, as I was having significant problems: download was 0.95, upload 1.63.  It is cloudy here tonight but not currently raining.  we have a computer that usually is on the network and a iPad, but we are usually actively using two devices at any given time.  The previous test was at 1100 in the morning on Saturday and the one tonight (Monday) was at 6: 30 pm.  The issues we are typically having occur with any kind of weather and presented the same way it did tonight....trying to watch a 4 minute video clip off of facebook.  We have had this issue for a long time but just didn't take any steps to address it until we upgraded recently as we were finally fed up with it and the customer service rep on the phone suggested upgrading based on our usage.
GabeU

gary,

Right now we are in the peak usage period, meaning everyone and their brother is using the internet.  Speeds are almost always considerably lower at this time than they would be during off peak.  So a speed during this time of evening isn't really indicative of what your system is capable of during non peak hours.  Depending on your area, the number of people on, and like now, during the peak period, your speed can be greatly reduced.  My speed right now, unbelievably, is 498Kbs.  It's abysmal, and quite slow even for the peak period.  It's the lowest I have EVER seen since I've been a Gen4 customer (since Feb 5th), but I know it will speed back up in a couple of hours, and surely at least be back in the 1 to 2mbps range any time.  Take a look at the test I just did compared to my normal speeds. 

I'm not saying that you aren't having a problem, just that the speeds during peak hours are going to naturally be lower.  Peak hours for me are from about 5:30PM or so to 10:30PM or so.  Then for twenty minutes or so at 2:00AM.  Then, in the morning, it is normally from about 6:30AM to about 9:00AM, give or take.  This is for me, on beam 24, in Western NY.     

http://testmy.net/quickstats/Gabe1972

Chris11
Alum

Hi garyandkimsunderland,

Are you still experiencing slow speeds? When running tests, are you directly plugging once computer into the Hughesnet modem? Also, what is the make and model of your router? Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks,
Chris
garyandkimsunde

Just ran the test on my phone with a 0.32 download, 2.27 upload, 1329 ping...9:45 pm with partly cloudy weather.  I didn't try plugging my computer in, but I did have the highest speed from my laptop on the day I tested speed with it.  At that time, video seemed to be streaming smoothly.  I have a belkin wireless router model: f9k1113v1.  My hughes net model is HT1100.  I went ahead and tested with my computer plugged in about 10 minutes later and got download at 0.77mbps, upload 0.33mbps, ping 749ms
garyandkimsunde

I agree that peak times would probably be slower, but I find it hard to believe that I can't watch a 15-20 second video clip on Facebook without it stopping every 2-3 seconds with a spinning wheel.  We do have the issue throughout the day, during the weekend and weekends.
GabeU

One thing you need to do is set up an account at http://testmy.net/ and start doing your tests with that account.  Use the 12MB test for the download test.  For upload I normally use the 1MB size, but that's just me.  The 12MB download size is what Hughesnet requests for downloads, but I don't know what they want for uploads, so I just chose the 1MB test.  Doing the tests on that site will keep a record of said tests and can help with the pinpointing of a problem. 

The testmy.net site is the only other speed test site, besides their own, that the reps fully trust and rely on.  You can post a link to your results like so...   

http://testmy.net/quickstats/Gabe1972

I know this may seem arbitrary and frustrating to have to do this, but it can definitely help them in the pinpointing of cause of said problem. 

GabeU

Your upload was 2.27Mbps and your download was 0.32Mbps?  That's definitely odd, at least to me.  And upload that's more than seven times the speed of a download.  Weird.   
GabeU

I just ran a test and my download was 3.1Mbps.  I tried one 24 minutes ago and finally stopped it as it was taking too long, but I imagine it would have been under 1Mbps.