cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have been having problems with wifi use

I have been having problems with wifi use

I have been having problems with wifi use on a Samsung Galaxy 5 and an iPhone 5SE. We seem to have a lot of issues watching video clips on Facebook. They stop after a few seconds then start 1-2 seconds later. I have plenty of data right now and we upgraded to another data plan about a month ago to see if it would fix the issues, but it didn't. Any thoughts on what to do to fix this issue? This is my test speed this morning from my computer. http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/53... --download of 24.6 & 0.86 upload. Not sure if that is good or not. I ran the test on my phone and got these results: download 19.08 with upload of 2.61 (I ran this test about 20 minutes after the first one). Any thoughts on how to make the wifi more effective on the phones? When we switch to the network, we don't have the same streaming issues.
72 REPLIES 72
Sophomore

Re: I have been having problems with wifi use

What kind of router do you have? I just upgraded to an Asus RT-AC68U and the responsiveness of my phones is much better than with my 10 year old Linksys.

You may have to "Refresh" your Ram Memory, with an app of by rebooting.
Good
Bob
Assistant Professor

What?
Assistant Professor

More info like router would definitely help. Did this just start, working previously?
Junior

Really sounds like a router issue. With speeds like that there shouldn't be a buffering problem.
Maybe the OP is too far away from the router while watching vids and probably not while speed testing.
Maybe there are too many devices, taxing the router's capacity, during normal use but again not while speed testing.

The OP lends itself to the interpretation that the router throughput is within the area to stream vids without buffering but not under the circumstances of normal use.
It also implies the phones have adequate memory capacity available.

garyandkimsunderland....    

Experiment using your phones under the different situations listed above and see if they answer your question.
If you still have problems, please post additional information and we'll see if we can help.

Don  Smiley Happy

Speed testing should never be done through WiFi, it should be done with the router disconnected. This is why he is getting great speeds, he is connected directly to the modem without the router, but then also has good results running a speed test on the phone
I ran the test on my phone and got these results: download 19.08 with upload of 2.61
The buffering problem occurs with FB. Your DL speed is only as good as the server you are DLing from. Sounds like a FB issue, not Hughesnet. Might try doing a ping to FB and see how that comes back.
Junior

Excellent observation Bill.
The OP's post indicated the buffering was not present using the phone's network is why I left the FB server out of the equation.

Here, for me at least, I get the same speeds with or without the router and wifi vs Ethernet.
This is not the case with the avg user.
In cases where I need to absolutely sure, I do connect directly to the modem.
Highlighted

Every now and then I have a lucid moment. At my age you enjoy those as much as you can.
Distinguished Professor III

Lucid moment...I've heard of that.  Never had one, myself. 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit