cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have been out of the home for over a month. Internet shows use despite modem being unplugged from power. Bill increasing. Why??

I have been out of the home for over a month. Internet shows use despite modem being unplugged from power. Bill increasing. Why??

I have been out of the home for over a month. Nobody else has access to the internet there. I have also unplugged the modem from power, and my account shows data usage. My bill has also increased for no reason. What is going on here?
14 REPLIES 14

Re: I have been out of the home for over a month. Internet shows use despite modem being unplugged from power. Bill increasing. Why??

Hi lnrdchurch,

Welcome to the community and thank you for your post, we can certainly help address your data usage concerns. Please read the information here and follow the instructions there: 

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/wheres-my-bytes-how-to-test-for-data-leaks

Then you may post your screenshots here in your thread.

Your cooperation and patience are greatly appreciated. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Re: I have been out of the home for over a month. Internet shows use despite modem being unplugged from power. Bill increasing. Why??

Liz, you may have misunderstood my original post. My modem has been unplugged from power for the time I have been gone which is over a month. It was still unplugged as of a week ago while I was in my home.  So the standard data diagnostic does not apply to me. Still, here is the closest I could get you to said screenshot. 

Please also note that I am not in the home, and cannot directly diagnose more than that it is draining while not even being plugged in. Theoretically impossible.

Good morning lnrdchurch,

I pulled up your billing history to address your billing concerns. I see you were on the Prime plan until July, then downgraded to the Choice plan July 28. This change in plan resulted in prorated charges on your August bill, which was actually a lower amount than normal. Your September bill reflects your normal monthly charge. Also, I'm seeing an alert on your account that indicates your payment information in our system is not up to date. You may update your payment info via the Support Center under the Billing tab:

Alternatively, you may call us at your convenience at 866.347.3292 to update your payment information.

Regarding your reported data usage while the modem wasn't powered on, I can't say how or why that happened. For the inconvenience, I've sent you some complimentary tokens. You may receive an e-mailed order confirmation for the tokens.

Moving forward, we would like to see if this is a reoccurring thing, because you're correct, this is theoretically impossible to happen, there shouldn't be any data usage if the modem doesn't have any power. If you follow these illustrated steps, we can get proof of whether this is still happening. In your case, you can reproduce your previous situation and go as far as unplugging the power cord from the HughesNet modem in step 2. 

Please let me know if you have additional questions so I can address them for you.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Also, since you mentioned you're not in the home, you may have whoever is there perform those troubleshooting steps. Without any screenshots showing abnormal activity, I have nothing to escalate to our engineers.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

I too have been having discussions with support (misnomer) regarding this very issue. Appears they have no idea of how to resolve issue. Data usage continues even when Hughes Net modem is unplugged and/or disconnected from router.

Hi dsdolan,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. I'm sorry your expectations aren't being met, we can help address your concerns. Please scroll up and click on the New Post button to start your own thread. Read the information and follow the instructions there: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/wheres-my-bytes-how-to-test-for-data-leaks

Please include your screenshots when you create your own thread.

Your cooperation and patience are greatly appreciated. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Liz, let me be even more clear then. NOBODY is in the home, as it was evacuated due to a local fire. There is NOBODY accessing the equipment. I unplugged the modem the day we left. It was still unplugged the last time I was there. I don't care about the bill, but I wont be told I'm using data when I've not even been there (and nobody else has either)

And, there is NO possible way that those diagnostics apply simply because it is NOT PLUGGED IN. It hasnt been. There are no wireless connections even if it were.