cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have been putting up with slow system now for over four months.

Distinguished Professor III

Re: I have been putting up with slow system now for over four months.

Ah.  I didn't see about how large the usage actually was.  That's a lot.  No doubt.  About the only thing I can think of that might do that is the DirecTV, but you had that disconnected at that point.   I wonder if maybe a device is getting into some kind of perpetual download loop.  I don't really know.  I'm not as technical when it comes to that sort of stuff as some of the people on here are.  I truly hope someone can figure it out.  That's a tremendous amount of data. 

Sorry about your folks.  That must have been hard to have them gone so young.  I try to help my folks whenever I can.  They helped me when I was down on my luck in the early 2000s, so I try to repay that any way I can.  My stepfather is actually only 12 years older than I am (I'm 44), but my mother is 70, so I try to do what I can to make their lives easier.  I live right across the street from them, so that helps, too.  LOL.   

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Amanda said it is did not seem indicative of Ditect Tv. I called direct tv twice, I am absolutely certain I got two completely different techs! Because they were from different countries
Honorary Alumnus

Not to sound like a broken record but .......
The very first step in finding a data leak is to connect a single computer directly to the modem and troubleshoot from there, rebuilding the "network" one device at a time.
Any user, after a period, after pointing this out, that refuses to follow logical procedures is ... not going to find the root cause of their "leak".

Slow speeds along with data loss screams of concurrent connections.

Not one screenshot has been posted, no clue as to the ratio or character of the data loss .... upload/download.
Facts matter, opions ... don't carry any weight.

I know Amanda said that she didn't see any traffic that would indicate it was DirecTV, but this sure looks like what I would expect to see when the receiver downloads those frequent films that are never asked for.  Normally they are done through the DirecTV dish themselves, but like a lot of the other stuff with DirecTV, when the net is connected, it will take that route, instead.  It'll sure be interesting to finally figure out what caused it. 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

I am SO glad that I am not the only one that has had this happening for months and was basically told that it HAD to be on my end.  I have been incredibly busy and therefore have not had time to pursue the issue like I would have.  I did spend quite a lot of time several months back tracking my usage, yet I would have 3GB disappear in the middle of the day when no one was home and no devices were powered on.  It has been that most of the time that my phone is never connected to my hughesnet.  My husband does a little, and my son rarely does.  It's terrible ALL the time.  We can not watch a video of ANY kind on our internet most of the time.  We have been out of town 10 days of the last month, yet it shows that we are out of data with 7 more days to go.  I NEVER had this problem in the past, yet now the data usage runs out with less activity than we have ever had.  It is incredibly frustrating, and I am at the point of looking at other options ASAP.  At this moment it is looking more satisfying to just turn it off and up the shared data on our phones.  It's not like we could ever fathom using hughesnet for any kind of movie streaming.  It's never been possible for us.  
Freshman

I do have my DirecTV hooked into wifi. Its only to be used for show schedules. It don't build the upcoming shows without being hooked up.

How have you adjusted it so only updates show schedules?  Also, why would you use your Wifi for show schedules when DirecTV already updates them?  Are you speaking of the mobile app?

Hey Roger, did direct tv say this? Have you tried without the wifi? The reason I ask is, we have power outages here ALL THE TIME.... Our direct tv was rarely hooked to wifi and we still got show schedules? Then HN said to DC the wifi. I spoke to direct tv, they said the ONLY reason wifi is needed was to load "on demand" movies, we do not and have not watched "on demand". So, our wifi Is now DC'd permanently. I asked about updates to the system, the tech at direct tv told me that the updates will come thru the Satalite, he said we will be last to get the updates, but we will get them. So.. Good enough for me, Wifi is NOT connected to my direct tv.

Eledkins, I hear you in the movie streaming! I kind of feel like I am in the dark ages when my friends and family talk about streaming movies! I am like, "what is that like!?" Anyway, I can tell you, by posting in here, or, better yet, create a NEW post dealing with your problem (maybe you already have, if not do so!) A rep on this community will find you and will hopefully give you some tokens to provide you with some internet for the next few days. They will also give you some super quick hints to use less data. Another user in here, Bird Dog, has an excellent post about reducing data... PLEASE UNDERSTAND, I am not saying you are using the data, but if you are able to get tokens, they will last longer with the hints of reducing data. Hope that helps and I hope it helps to know you are not alone. Sad.... But true... Also Eledkins, not sure if you have tried CALLING HN... If not yet, save your breath and time, deal with the reps in here. They truly have more access. Kim

I AM USING CAPS SO GWALK90 WILL SEE THIS!!