cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have concerns with how quickly my data runs out

I have concerns with how quickly my data runs out

I feel this service is a joke the new month just started 9 days ago and it's saying I'm down to 19% of data left we use this to watch Netflix and I set it to the lowest resolution seting in that account and it still burns out quick the first month wasn't bad and I didn't adjust anything and had survive the whole time but since then it seems like it has just scammed me because now it barely lasts a week and a half
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: I have concerns with how quickly my data runs out

Hi Jclayton, Your first month in they give you a grace periond for which to get caught up on updates. They do not inform you of this nor is there a definite amount of days given, for some it was 3-4 days for me for me it was 7, others may have had more. During this time frame they refill your data daily or every so many hours as needed. Although a very nice thing for them to do it still gives many false hope (especially if grace period was unknown to them) during that first month!!

A netflix hr show is typically going to run you 300Mb in lowest definition. If you are on the 10Gb anytime plan, thats barely 330Mb a DAY average use.   Depending on how much you watch even at the lowest setting it WILL burn through data quite quickly!! And unfortunately not ALL of netflix shows are able to be shrunk down to SD,   in the last year there's been at least 3 shows that although settings were set to SD they still burned up close to 3Gb a peice for a mere hr an a half show.
Alum

Re: I have concerns with how quickly my data runs out

Hi Jclayton,

Welcome to the community and thank you for your post! I'm sorry to hear this. I was able to pull up your account using your profile information. You currently are subscribed to the best plan we have ever offered which allots you 50 GB anytime and 50 GB bonus bytes. Your data shouldn't be running out so quickly, I'm sure we can figure something out to help you better manage your data allowance. To better assist you we're going to need some additional information:

How many users are in your household?
How is your home network set up? Do you use a router?
If so, have you password protected it?
How many devices do you have(i.e. computers, tablets, smartphones)?

Here are some tips and tricks to getting the most out of your data allowance.Keep in mind there are countless factors that can use your data:

- more devices are capable of connecting to the internet: phones, tablets, gaming consoles, SmartTVs, and even refrigerators can connect wirelessly to the internet. Keep track of what devices you leave running on Wi-Fi.

- automatic-updates: your computer and any other programs you use will often keep working in the background, even if you're not actively using that program, in order to keep your system/program up-to-date. Anti-virus programs will periodically use your internet connection to check back with their malware database for any updates. You should have an option to turn off auto-updates and/or schedule them for a later time.

- multimedia content: Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, news sites, and other websites will contain videos, animated gifs, and sound clips that may start playing as soon as you land on the site. So much content, so easily available almost everywhere on the internet. For starters, try disabling auto-play video on Facebook:

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/how_to_disable_autoplay_videos_on_facebook

or adjusting your Netflix playback quality to SD: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

- more data sources can be found here, as posted by a fellow community member: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-usage-sources-common-and-not-so-common

The most important tool to download is the Status Meter, available in the Customer Support Center, to help you monitor your data usage: supportcenter.myhughesnet.com

Your cooperation and patience are greatly appreciated. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thank you,

Chris