Hughesnet Community

I have done enough reasearch & found out that running fiber optics with unlimited data would solve 99.9% of all the complaints that you get

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
donald.hutchiso

I have done enough reasearch & found out that running fiber optics with unlimited data would solve 99.9% of all the complaints that you get

With all the complaints about low speeds ,running out of data ,etc you think hughesnet would at least run fiber optics for there customers I have been a loyal customer 4 years now and I'm ready for some changes I have the best of every thing and still have low speeds and run out of anytime data
16 REPLIES 16
Thomas E Martin

I run out of data too. I agree with your suggestion!
donald.hutchiso

Maybe if enough people read and agree they will try to please there loyal customers ¬ mislead new customers .
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Hughesnet is a satellite based system.  People sign up for Hughesnet because they don't have a land based service available.  Why would Hughesnet do something to help their competitors?  Fiber cables would only help their competitors, not them.   

If you are running out of data, you need to figure out what is using all of your data and adjust it so it doesn't.  It's that simple.  You running out of data is not Hughesnet's fault.  There are plenty of people that get by with 10GB and even 5GB of Anytime data.  Very rarely do I use more than 6 or 7GB combined in a month, and that's keeping three computers up to date and being online almost daily. 

As for slow speeds, you can run three to five manual 12MB download speed tests at testmy.net while being connected directly to the modem, NO ROUTER, and post the tests to show the slow speeds.  Creating an account at testmy.net is the best way to keep track of the tests, as well.  Also space the tests at least five minutes apart and run a few tests at different times of the day.   

GabeU

https://www.glasswire.com/ - Install this on each Windows based computer to see what is using the data.  It's free.

http://testmy.net/ - Site to run speed tests. 

http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx -  Procedure for  running speed tests at testmy.net and posting the results.  Make sure to use a single device connected directly to the modem.  NO ROUTER. 

If you have Windows 10 I can tell you some things to shut off to save some data.  Let me know if you would like that advice. 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Um, what? Hughes has satellites because no cable company will run fiber to your house. Running fiber to houses miles apart and in challenging terrain conditions isn't going to happen. Not by Hughes or your cable company, not enough profit.
GabeU

Thomas,

Do you have Windows 10?  Do  you have a satellite TV receiver connected?  Do you stream TV shows/films?  Do you use a cloud service? 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Honestly, the OP is a bit ridiculous. HughesNet exists because nobody will run regular cable, let alone fiber, to your house.
GabeU

Agreed.  Hopefully, though, the OP and Thomas will at least ask for some advice on reducing data usage. 

I find it interesting that people automatically think running out of data is Hughesnet's fault, but I guess those not accustomed to having to monitor usage may think it is.  It's a rough lesson learned, sometimes. 

El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Easier to wait for the wind to change direction than learn how to adjust your sails 🙂
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
Amanda

Hi Donald,

Running fiber optic as a satellite company would be like Taco Bell selling hamburgers - no? 🙂

If you have concerns about speed, we can help with that though! You can give us a little idea of what is going on, like when you're having poor speeds, on what devices and what you're trying to do when you experience it. I'd love to help.

Amanda

(For the record I wouldn't eat a hamburger from Taco Bell...eeek!!)
Larry Lockie

Right on! I've worked on the internet since before they called it that. No such thing as "Enough" data. (And yes I am that old)
Fiber cable is fantastic, but also very expensive,
I agree that if people learned how to cut some or most of Microsoft's "Junk" from their computer, most of the problems would cease. Major starting point, learn how to manipulate "METERED CONNECTION"  Then you can control whether you download MS's upates/upgrades when YOU want, not at the whim of someone at Microsoft. Check out the Windows 10 MSFN forum and see some of the independent Programmers and Network guru's have to say and suggest. A wealth of knowledge for free.
It's not that difficult to shove all those data hogs over to the Bonus bit bucket.
GabeU

I actually don't have either of my laptops (actually one's a notebook) set to metered when on a router, as the MS updates aren't that large and much of a concern in the scheme of things (the free Windows 10 upgrade being the exception).  I find that it's things like the cloud, syncing and other types of programs and apps that freely use data to be the real problem, though MS updates can certainly push someone over the edge, data wise, if they were already near that edge. 
GabeU

Ugh.  What do you think those burgers would be made of?  The thought is revolting. LOL. 
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Translation: I Love Taco Bell! (Because it tastes like dog food 🙂
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Hey, I wouldn't feed my dogs that!  😛
debbie.jean.bro
Advanced Tutor

I don't think the OP understands what he is suggesting Hughesnet do for "there" [their] customers. He's actually saying, I think, stop being a satellite company and start being a fiber optic company. Basically he's saying Hey Chevrolet, you could solve all your customer service issues if you would just start selling Fords! HA!! Or really, it's closer to saying if you would just start selling aircraft. I'm not sure what the parameters of his "research" were, but I'm afraid he missed some fairly fundamental pieces.