cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have installed the new status meter (6.2) on Jan 28 and it seems like my usage has doubled.

Re: I have installed the new status meter (6.2) on Jan 28 and it seems like my usage has doubled.

Good afternoon everyone.
sgoshe, thanks for the information, I will check those out. I am mostly concerned with the usage skyrocketing after Jan. 28, but anything that can be cut out may help find the cause.
Gwalk, thank you. I have NoScript on FireFox and Pale Moon (it was a trick getting logged on here, it wanted permissions for all sorts of things). Got AdBlock to go on FF, Chrome, and Opera, for the time being, it is not compatible with PM 25.2.1. Maybe the next update. For now they are on the default settings. Will this be OK, or should I try to tweak them a little?

I did mention that my oddball computer would not run Adobe or Office Word while NetGuard was installed? It appears that IE will not run either. When I take NetGuard off this evening, I will try again and see if it works.
Thanks again, and everyone have a good afternoon.

Re: I have installed the new status meter (6.2) on Jan 28 and it seems like my usage has doubled.

you too !!
Honorary Alumnus

Mildcat,
Try running with as much of the default settings as you can for now.
Make exceptions where needed but take a moment to watch just what it is you are allowing.
The content and format of web pages is just all over the place.
Take CNN as an example, it used to be ok, then they started having "auto-load" video feeds in various parts of their main page.

On a metered connection, it would eat your usage alive if not blocked.
I still think you have an issue with associations somewhere and things can get crossed up with your default browser (Internet Explorer ?).
Netguard is a standalone program. It has nothing to do with your browser. A PDF file is just that, it is only generated on command by Netguard. Once created it too is a seperate enity .... a PDF file, all bt itself. When "executed" it is displayed (if possible) by the program designated to handle that file type.

At the moment, I'm stumped on but one but will see what I can come up with.
Sadly it is now time to remove the 8" of snow from my 300' driveway !
Man I hate that.

Let me see what I can come up with and maybe sgoshe and Charles can toss in their experiences.

Gwalk, sounds like you are going to have a "good" workout. Take your time and be careful. I think that my default is Chrome, but I will check and try going with PM. Here are some more shots, if anyone wants to look at them. The usage will be a little bit higher, IE works if NetGuard is not installed. Will have to let Cucusoft know. They might come up with something.

05:22, this morning.

07:59

08:02

08:04

10:06

10:08

10:10

14:38

14:41

14:43

Thanks to everyone for their assistance.
Have a safe evening.
Mildcat

Off to do my taxes. They are very easy.

Line 1: How much did you make last year?
Line 2: How much do you have left?
Line 3: Send it in.

Mildcat that's a great  one !!!   LOL !!!
Honorary Alumnus

Mildcat,
I still have some concerns with the shear volume of browser traffic.
About 450MB download in just one day.

Q: Do you leave browser(s) open while the computer is not being actively used ?
Assistant Professor

Gwalk, I pm'd you at the Shack.
Honorary Alumnus

Got it, Thank You.
Reply awaits.

Gwalk, good morning.
When I plan on  leaving for any length of time, say over 10 minutes, I will generally close everything, and most times turn the computer off.
As for usage, if you are meaning what NetWorx and NetGuard show, that seems pretty close.
I got into manga a while back, and with Tokyopop, CPM, and others closing shop a couple of years ago, I can only find the ones I was interested in online. (That lead to the image sites, some of which need to have heavy filters checked to weed out the rough stuff.) While it is mostly jpg, it can still eat up the allowance. (Which is why I sort of miss the old free time mornings.)
That is why I was so concerned about the usage jump after the 28th, and keeping a close eye on the meters. Trying to hold everything under 500GB a day so that there is a little padding at the end of the month for emergencies.
No worries about 'anytime allowance' today. Dr. appointment and Mom wants to go shopping. Be gone til midnight.
Take care and have a good day.  Hope you didn't get any more snow over-night.

And a good morning to everyone. New cycle, gauges full, we will see how it goes.

Gwalk, I have emailed Cucusoft about the compatibility problem. Hopefully they can figure out what is going on. By the way, NetGuard is uninstalled for the time being.

A bit off topic, but while my computer guy is haveing a little run of bad luck, let me throw this out for comments;
Has anyone "lost" a program? I mean that it is physically in the computer, icon on the desktop, and can be used, but it does not show up in 'programs and features' nor will a search find it.
Any comments, suggestions, rude body noises, etc. are welcome.

Sincerly,
Mildcat

sufferer of ID-10-T syndrome