cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just had Hughes net installed, I have to say I feel like I have been sent back to the dark ages!

I just had Hughes net installed, I have to say I feel like I have been sent back to the dark ages!

I don't understand why after 10 hours or so of streaming movies my internet usage is used up. When I spoke to the customer representative he suggested i change my TV from High Definition to 1080 because it used up more data to download high definition. I spoke to the manufacturer of my TV and told that that was not an option. The internet provider is the one in control of this. I don't understand, I live up in the foothills, I had a provider that provided the same amount of data and I had no problem streaming for the ENTIRE month, not 8 or 10 hours. I am so sorry I chose Hughes net. Have any of you been able to get out of your contract? It has only been 1 month but I cannot see me staying with this company for even one more day.
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Professor III

Re: I just had Hughes net installed, I have to say I feel like I have been sent back to the dark ages!

judyyaz,

1080 is High Definition. Streaming in high definition can use up to 3GB per hour.  Streaming in low definition can use as low as 300MB per hour, but you still have a finite amount of data per month, so constantly streaming isn't going to be feasible.  Hughesnet does not offer unlimited data. 

You are actually lucky to learn this now.  For the first ten or twenty days your data rests every 24 hours instead of monthly.  So tomorrow you should have full data again.  BUT, again, this is only for the first ten or twenty days of service, depending on your modem and package.  After that, the data you have has to last the entire month.   

To keep an eye on your data usage, you should download the Hughesnet Status Meter at...

http://my.hughesnet.com/

You can also check your usage by signing into that site. 

Lastly, you can check your usage at the following, as well...

http://systemcontrolcenter.com/

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Re: I just had Hughes net installed, I have to say I feel like I have been sent back to the dark ages!

Hello judyyaz,

Welcome to our community and thank you for your post. If you've watched 10 hours of video and done a little browsing but on our 10 GB Anytime data package, you would have probably run out of data with no problem. Did you order online or did you speak with a sales representative over the phone? Our sales agents will give you an estimate of standard definition video that you can watch per month on a certain plan when explaining them. Please note that HughesNet cannot adjust the definition at which video providers display their content. If you feel you were not properly explained the limitations of our service or given a disclaimer about streaming when letting our sales agent know you would be streaming, please let us know.

Thank you,
Amanda
Alum

Hello judyyaz,

Please let us know if you would like us to look further into your concerns with a sales call review. 

Thanks,
Chris