cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just read a post about a customer purchasing a router from the contractor & it has me a little concerned.

I just read a post about a customer purchasing a router from the contractor & it has me a little concerned.

I just read a post about a customer purchasing a router from the contractor & it has me a little concerned now. I don't want to get anyone in trouble or anything but I was sold a router from the contractor also. I was told that he purchased the router from hughesnet & sold it to me at cost. That router cost me $100 & that was not cheap as I'm on a fixed income. I was told that the router from our previous provider would not be able to handle the speeds. If this was on the up & up, no problem. Now I'm hoping that I wasn't taken advantage of. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. If I was duped, then that's on me. I'd just kinda like to know for my own piece of mind. Thanks so much!

Christina J.M.Clark

9 REPLIES 9

Re: I just read a post about a customer purchasing a router from the contractor & it has me a little concerned.

I bought an Linksys WRT 1900 AC from Wal-Mart for $171.99 & they matched the Best Buy price !!! I thought about getting one from my installer but he didn't offer & I didn't ask & figured newer would be better !!! As long as it works properly, the AC routers work well with HughesNet like the Asus & Linksys, some like Belkin or Netgear !!!
I too live on a fixed income so I wish you the best !!!

Re: I just read a post about a customer purchasing a router from the contractor & it has me a little concerned.

Thanks Melissa! The router I bought was brand new & was told it would handle the speeds, no problem.  My son is in college & has to have internet. I wanted to make sure I everything was going to run smoothly so I went ahead & spent the extra money.  I really hope I did the right thing.

Assistant Professor

HughesNet does not sell routers. Some contractors do it to make an extra buck. If he set your network up then a $25-50 fee on top of the router cost would not be outrageous. So a $50 dollar router installed and set up for $100 is within reason.

What router did you have from your previous provider? It may not have been compatible.

Good morning Christina, 

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. No need for concern, what sgoshe said explains it all. If you have additional concerns, please don't hesitate to let us know, we're happy to help.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

I had a brand new router from AT&T that cost me through the nose lol

Associate Professor

AT&T doesn't provide routers... Actually, no ISP provides a bare router, they provide Modems and Combo Modem Routers...

If your DSL provider gave you a Modem+Router combo unit (which most do), you will not be able to use it with another ISP, as most times those combo units are built specifically for each ISP.

Modem = HT1x00, or HN9000
Router = Device that sits between the modem, and your computer, and is used to let you have multiple computers, or wireless devices online at one time.
Assistant Professor

It was probably what they call a "gateway" router/modem combination and would not be compatible. Could try to sell it on Ebay.

It was a wireless router/modem combo. I understand that it might not have been compatible with Hughnet, no problem.  Having to get a new router for Hughes is understandable, I'm ok with that.  My concern was just that I may have been mislead about the new router from the contractor.

As long as it was brand new & it works well I think you are o.k. ! I just liked buying my own & set up was easy, my installer didn't even know how to set it up because it was so new & fancy, he told me to put in ip address when it had it's own set up wizard !!! God bless & Good luck to you !!!