cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I lose connection constantly and have to reboot non stop. Worse than dial up. NP with cable modem.

I lose connection constantly and have to reboot non stop. Worse than dial up. NP with cable modem.

I lose connection constantly and have to reboot non stop. It's not the computer. My mac works fine with broadband. It takes up to 1.5 minutes to load a single website page. My vonage doesn't work with it either, which made me have to find another phone plan.
40 REPLIES 40
Associate Professor

Re: I lose connection constantly and have to reboot non stop. Worse than dial up. NP with cable modem.

VOIP services other than Hughes own isn't guaranteed to work.  As for rebooting often, what makes you think you MUST reboot the modem?  The modem tends to always recover on it's own provided you have a proper LAN setup.  Mac computers, for some reason, don't play nice with high latency connections of any form.
Assistant Professor

Re: I lose connection constantly and have to reboot non stop. Worse than dial up. NP with cable modem.

Reboot computer or modem?

Rebooted computer so many times I can't count them. No need when I try it on cable modem, elsewhere.  Modem has been rebooted 32 times since I got it on Monday. ISP gets lost all of the time.  It connects easily. It's the ISP that is lost so, it's hughes.

First, I was told vonage would work, without issues when ordering. I worked in the computer field for over 30 years so I am aware of issues, so I was asking them these questions. They said to put it into the modem instead but there is only one port, which goes into the router. Second, I was told, by HUGHES to reboot the modem and it would work.  It does--but sick of doing it, over 32 times so far.  Also have a PC hooked up with same issues.  I checked reviews on BBB and elsewhere and these seem to be common issues.  Loading issue only happens with Hughes connection.  On a cable (airport pulling off another wireless network from ATT) loads immediately and doesn't lose connection.  
Associate Professor

An Apple Airport router?  Curious, just to humor me.  Can you hook your Windows PC directly to the modem, and run just that on Hughes for a little while?  If you get disconnect issues, open the modem SCC at 192.168.0.1 and see if either of the icons at the top are Red/Yellow, if they are, click on System Status and let us know what statecodes your getting.
Highlighted

waiting and learning on this one but still need to post your ESN -serial number are case no,  !!!!  so as our reps to locate you , unless thy already know !!!!
Assistant Professor

Kelly, is status all green when you go here?  http://192.168.0.1/

What does receive signal strength show here and are the check marks green? http://192.168.0.1/cgi-bin/index.cgi?Command=2

Sorry, this has been down since my last reply.  Gateway is fine and I have no problem with the network connection.  It drops the ISP immediately upon connection and I have to wait for it to "grab" it again.  I just tried a laptop and it is as slow as this so, my connection with the Mac is definitely not an issue.  All is green, SG and this is current reading--changing each time I check:

Terminal - Gateway Connectivity TestWed May 6 18:24:00 2015Packet Loss:0.00%Average Delay:606.00 msMinimum Delay:580.00 msMaximum Delay:670.00 msIP Gateway:BIL28HNSIGW64B002Adv.  

Pageload is taking 45-47 seconds, for all graphics to load.  It seems it is having a problem resolving host, in every page, no matter what page I go to.  And, yes--I cleared my browsers, on all (Safari and Chrome) and still, lag time is horrible.  

If someone could fix this, I probably wouldn't change or cancel but, this is just not worth it if I can't stay connected or get connected on any of the devices.

Charles, I love Macs but I am cautious on any other of their devices. I would not buy a an external airport router. It's the built in wireless wifi on macs--They use Airport as the name for that as well.  Again, I am having NO ISSUES getting into any of the ATT and Surewest connections that are available but I can't get into my own connection, once it tries to connect the IP address.  Connection to the router is immediate. It has a connectivity issue once it tries to assign the IP address, drops it or cannot resolve. My router is a TRENDNET 812 2.4/5 GHZ Router which is brand new.