cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I’m at a loss here...

Freshman

I’m at a loss here...

So I think I made a huge mistake, I had DishNet for years, and overall was pretty happy with what it could do, but I started seeing commercials about the new “gen5” and how fast it was, so I called a local retailer, and when the salesman told me that I got 100 gigs compared to my 50 with dishnet, and that gen5 was garunteed to be better than dishnet in every way, I signed up. (He never specified that 50 of those gigs were off peak gigs, the exact same plan I had with dish net, but no big deal, at least it will be faster... so after the install I go to play some of the games I always play, and I can’t play any of them! This begins the hours (literally hours) of trouble shooting with HughesNet customer service, to be told that there is something wrong with my system, and it has to go to the engineering dept, and they would call me within 3 business days, after 4 days I call the customer service center back, and they say I should hear from them within another 5 days!! The agent tells me they have no line of communication with the engineering dept, so I have no choice but to wait by the phone, hoping to god I don’t miss their call, to try and calm my worries, the agent offers to go through another 2 hours of troubleshooting, LMAO... I declined.. so here I am, 7 days after install, and can’t do anything that I used to on my old dishnet, I really hope this gets fixed soon.. on a side note, the guy that installed my system has been checking in with me almost daily, doing all he can, he is awesome
22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Professor

Re: I’m at a loss here...

The people who can look into this for you work M-F, 9-5.  I'll tag them.

@Liz, @Amanda

Junior

This is a common problem that many, many people are having with Hughes. You'll be asked to run test after test, told that "engineering" is investigating, maybe even have your dish repointed to a different satellite if you complain enough. In the end, months later, you'll have the same horrible service. Have a look around the forum, see that you're not alone, then do yourself a favor and cancel your service while you can still do so without having to pay the $400 early termination fee. If you have any options for Internet other than Hughes, you'll save yourself a lot of frustration and head banging if you avail yourself of them now.

Freshman

Oh no.. I wonder if there’s any way I can get my old dish net service back..
Distinguished Professor IV

@Papasmurf

Two pieces of advice.  First, ignore ml520's suggestion, as there is no trial or cancellation period with which you can cancel without an ETF.  Secondly, let the reps here help you get the issue resolved.   The reps that will help you here are corporate reps who have direct access to the engineers.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Junior

You used to have 30 days to cancel without an ETF, unless that's changed. Hughes might allow you to cancel outside of that timeframe, anyway, if they won't provide you with any relief. State and federal consumer protection laws might help, too. And you can always dispute the charges on your credit card. Keep good records and cite the plethora of instances on this forum where subscribers have received much worse service than what would be considered reasonable, as well as being misled as to what the service can and can't be used for (for example, "broadband" speeds, streaming, multiple devices, etc.).

Distinguished Professor IV

@ml520

The trial period was cancelled a few years back. 

If, after substantive troubleshooting, the issue still persists, it may be possible to cancel without an ETF, but not until that happens.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sophomore

So sorry.  I signed up with dishnet and they use Hughsnet in my area,  It is awful.  As far as I can tell the best thing HughesNet has going for it is some of the best contract lawyers around.  I don't see any way out of the contract.  I have had this useless service for a year now.  I am paying for another providers that is MUCH better than HughesNet.  I down load the things I need to watch and bring it to my location. HughesNet will not have a repeat customer here.  

Junior

@GabeUwrote:

@ml520

The trial period was cancelled a few years back. 

If, after substantive troubleshooting, the issue still persists, it may be possible to cancel without an ETF, but not until that happens.  

Hmm, that's unfortunate....but telling. They must've had a lot of subscibers opt to use that clause. At the federal level consumers generally have a 3-day "cooling off" (buyer's remorse) period within which to cancel a contract, but it appears the OP is outside of that timeframe. Depending on the state he lives in he might have additional rights.

Freshman

Thank you so much!