I'm doing horrible at conserving data :(

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Eva-79
Freshman

I'm doing horrible at conserving data :(

I've gotten so many helpful info on how to save data. I'm using my tokens now. But how slow will things get once I'm out. I know what's the problem 😔 nothing is connected to WiFi other than my blue ray which my selective mute is watching YouTube on. She's suffering bad with depression and it's the only time I see her happy. We spend time together watching it, other wise she'd be confining her self to her room. Don't get me wrong she does do things other than watch YouTube. But that's just were I see her smile and laugh. It also inspires her to do her art and to create things. Right now she's sick so YouTube has been her friend today. She is aware of our data situation. We've changed hd to standard changed resolution .. is there away I can download shows/videos she likes during the bonus hrs so we can watch them later with out using data?
I mean I'm cutting corners every which way even unplugging WiFi during school hrs because nothing is connected to it from 8am to 4 pm
20 REPLIES 20
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Have a look at Play On Cloud:  https://www.playon.tv/cloud

It records stuff from Hulu, Prime, Netflix, YouTube, and others.   It doesn't use data to record, but you use data when you download the stuff.   You could set it to record at any time, but download during Bonus Bytes. 

May also want to consider upgrading to the largest data package of 50GB, but that will need conserving data too. 

GabeU

@Eva-79 wrote:
I've gotten so many helpful info on how to save data. I'm using my tokens now. But how slow will things get once I'm out.  

It's said to generally drop to between 1Mbps and 3Mbps, but it can vary.  The official statement is "as low as or lower than 1Mbps".  A lot of it has to do with how congested the system is at any given time, so it won't be unusual for you to see it dropping lower during prime time.   

@Eva-79 wrote:
 .. is there away I can download shows/videos she likes during the bonus hrs so we can watch them later with out using data?

As maratsade mentioned, PlayOn Cloud is good for this.  There is a longer explanation about PlayOn Cloud in the latter part of my last reply in your other thread.  That reply is here.

Thanks you both. You have been a big support I really appreciate it.
Gabe for some reason I missed that message from before thanks for giving me the link.
I do have Amazon prime I love it, I download during the bonus hrs my movies.
My Vizio TV is a 2012 version my blue ray is younger tho lol 2018 it does have a USB port I'm not educated on how to do that. But I'm up to learning. Both my phone and tablet are Android's the cloud I've never used at least to my knowledge I haven't. I will definitely look in to it thanks
Oh we put YouTube on 240 we tried 111 setting couldn't see anything so we went up one.
Thanks again!
GabeU

@Eva-79 

With your Blu Ray player being fairly young, and with it having a USB port, it can liley play the mp4 files PlayOn Cloud records in without issue, whether from a USB flash drive or even a USB external hard drive.  And, if you know how to write files to DVDs or Blu Ray discs, it can likely play the files from either one of those, as well.  The discs would be different from movie discs that you buy that are already recorded, in that the files on them would be written like any other data files you would write to disc, but it would still be able to play them.  

If you copied the downloaded items to a USB flash drive or USB external drive, then plugged it into the Blu Ray, there will likely be an option that shows up for you to be able to play them.  Something like "Data Drive" or similar.  The only thing is, if it's a Samsung Blu Ray player it looks like you may have to convert the mp4 files to a type that the player can utilize, though this is something that only needs to be done for some types of mp4 files, evidently.  I only now just saw this.  Odd, for sure, as even my eight year old $50 Sony DVD player can play mp4 files without conversion, but evidently it's something that Samsung may require.   

With your phone and tablet being Android based, either one will be able to utilize the PlayOn Cloud app.  

I've never tried Amazon Prime with PlayOn Cloud.  I've only used it for Netflix, Youtube and HBO Go, but I think maratsade has used it with Amazon Prime, so he may be able to tell you how to use it if you decided to try it.  

I should also add that any devices you have that can connect to your TV via HDMI cable can likely be used to play the files, as well.  They could do it on their own and use their own screen, but if they have an HDMI port you can likely use the device like any other media player (DVD, Blu Ray, DVR) and use it to watch the items on your TV.  

maratsade

Recording from Amazon Prime with PlayOn Cloud works the exact same way as with any of the other channels (Hulu, Netflix, YouTube, etc.).  

1. Buy recording credits. It's one credit per recording, no matter the length of the recording, and each credit is about 25 cents (though if you buy in bulk they're less than that)

2. In PlayOn Cloud, find the channel

3. Search for the show

4. Set it to record

5. It will record, without using any data, and will send you a message when it's done

6. Download to a device

7. Unless you pay a monthly membership fee, the recordings stay in the cloud for 7 days and after that they're deleted, so remember to download them within the 7 days.

Hello,
It's me again lol. I'm still learning how to add a new message on here. I only can reply. With out creating another thread.
But anyway, I did download play on cloud and a mp4 app.
Then then... I am doing a trial for YouTube premium where I can download videos. I'm still learning on that. Thing is I downloaded some videos this morning before 8 on to my tablet thinking I'll be able to access them on the TV threw my account ha ha I should have known it's not that easy..
I figured if I can save data that way paying the 12$ fee each month better than 25$ in added tokens to my bill each month.
Jade is home today got back from Drs we both have a viral infection yay! Not.
You laugh probably,but me being not so tech savvy thought well I can hook my tablet to the USB drive me having a cable for USB yeah nope still it would be to easy..
So I started browsing the play on cloud app. Membership?? Needed It didn't say how much so I googled it. It said 4.99 for so many GB which I can't remember the exact number. So I was lost. See I don't understand the math behind one GB or how much a video is. I maybe total wrong I don't know. Plus I didn't see YouTube as one of the choices it had Hulu Amazon Netflix ECT.. but no YouTube.
So I tried linking my tablet to the TV I did it but still I'm using WiFi so it's not what I wanted so I disconnected 😔
The thing is Jade downloaded music using my phone and it was on the TV but not videos. I'm just confuselled all the way around. I won't give up, I will learn. One good thing is I can add up to 6 accounts to the YouTube so.. that means Logan can do everything on his phone download videos during the bonus hrs to watch later that in its self will save on data. At least that's what I'm thinking..
Thanks again guys 😊 don't give up on me keep your fingers crossed I get this down maybe I'll see a difference next month.
maratsade

You don't need a membership for Play On Cloud.  You create a free account, and then you buy recording credits.  Then you record, and they save the recordings for 7 days.  With a membership, they keep the recordings in the cloud forever, so if you'd like to keep them there, you will need to pay a monthly membership.  

I don't have a monthly membership.  I record stuff and then download the recordings to my computer and play them on a TV by connecting the computer to the TV via an HDMI cable.  Easy peasy.

To connect your tablet device to a TV, you will need some kind of cable.  Or you can probably cast using Chromecast or Miracast. 

GabeU

@Eva-79 

I, like maratsade, don't use a monthly plan with PlayOn Cloud.   I just buy Anytime Credits.  Each type, as in Anytime Credits vs a monthly plan, has it's advantages and disadvantages: 

The main advantage to the Anytime Credits is that the credits you buy never expire.  The main disadvantage is that, when you have PlayOn Cloud record an item for you, you only have seven days in which to download it before it's purged from the cloud.

The main advantage to the monthly plans is permanent cloud storage (no seven day deletion), though how much storage depends on the plan.  The main disadvantages are that unused credits don't roll over to the next month, so the credits you don't use you lose, and if the cloud storage fills up it will start purging old items to make room for the new ones.  You can delete items from that cloud storage after you've downloaded them, though, so you can make more room.  

If you think it may take longer than seven days to download an item you've had PlayOn Cloud record for you, a monthly plan would probably be the way to go, but if you think you'll be able to download your recorded item within seven days, Anytime Credits are probably the way to go.  And with Anytime credits, each item recorded has its own seven day "clock".  It's not a seven day period in which you have to download all items recorded within that seven day period by the end of it.  

Lastly, even if you choose to go with a monthly plan, you can still buy Anytime Credits if you decide you want more credits than the plan gives you each month.   If you have a monthly plan and do buy Anytime Credits, your monthly plan credits will always be used before your Anytime Credits.

Sounds like we are having to go around our elbows to get somewhere with this...

So because we can't get highspeed cable where we live we have to suffer and become super techs just to watch 

streaming movies... 

And by the way..... this is NOT A RANT... simply the facts. 

GabeU

@usersince2016 

Your "not a rant" complaint helps the OP in no way whatsoever.  They've accepted the fact that HughesNet has limitations in comparison to ground based services and are asking for advice on how to perform specific activities.  If you want to complain, have the respect to do so either on other complaint threads or use social media and leave threads from those who are asking about how to do something to just that.  Complain elsewhere.  Not here.  

There's always got to be someone who disrupts a helpful and informative thread with their complaint(s).  SMH.

maratsade

Yes, you have to learn how to use the technology, just like with any technology.  And no, you're not becoming a super tech, you're becoming a savvy user who knows how to get the most out of the technology that's available. 

Be thankful that a company wants to sell you broadband in rural areas.  Comcast and others can't be bothered with that. 

And you have the choice to move to where the offerings are more to your liking.  Free country, at least at the moment. 

usersince2016 wrote:

Sounds like we are having to go around our elbows to get somewhere with this...

So because we can't get highspeed cable where we live we have to suffer and become super techs just to watch 

streaming movies... 

Hello guys,

I'm vary happy with my choice in internet provider. (To the complainer)
It's not their fault I'm no good at conserving data. I'm just happy I still have internet with out any extra charges. And everyone has been very supportive and given helpful hints. I'm trying to educate myself and learning to conserve.
But anyways... Eye roll.
Moving on now play on cloud where is YouTube ? I can't find it on there. 😞 I can't find a search engine to search for it. oh I don't have a computer or laptop. I use to know how to burn CDs but Lord that was when we had dial up aol lol I'm old.
I will figure this out. Determination!! There is always a salutation to a problem. 😁
maratsade

I just checked, and YouTube has been removed from the list of available channels.  😞

Maratsade,
Thank you for trying it's appreciated very much. I'm thinking since YouTube is offering their own TV and other stuff that's why they took it down?. That's just my thoughts.
I mean I'm totally out of high speed data (key words high speed) I still have internet for those who need reassuring like I did. 😃 Everything is still working just fine in my opinion. Don't flip out like I did just get educated. Ok moving on..
So I will further research and see what I can find/figure out. I will share if I come across any thing worth while.
Determination is key!!
maratsade

They had YouTube as one of the channels last October. I downloaded a documentary then, and it worked just fine, but maybe they did take it out of the lineup because YT now has its own service.  

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

I just checked, and YouTube has been removed from the list of available channels.  😞

Oh wow.  That's not cool!  Don't get me wrong, I didn't use Youtube very much with PlayOn Cloud, but there are sometimes things on Youtube that you can't find anywhere else.  

A few months back I recorded "The Day After" from Youtube because I couldn't find it anywhere else and I hadn't seen it since it originally played on TV and scared the living heck out of everyone.  

Hopefully they'll add it back in at some point.  

maratsade

I recorded a documentary less than 4 months ago.  I don't know why they dropped it, and PlayOn aren't very transparent with anything they do, so we may never know. I'd like to see YT on the list again too, even if I hardly ever record from it.  I also hope they don't drop the channels I use the most; otherwise I'll have a whole bunch of credits and nowhere to use them.

@GabeU wrote:

Oh wow.  That's not cool!  Don't get me wrong, I didn't use Youtube very much with PlayOn Cloud, but there are sometimes things on Youtube that you can't find anywhere else.  

A few months back I recorded "The Day After" from Youtube because I couldn't find it anywhere else and I hadn't seen it since it originally played on TV and scared the living heck out of everyone.  

Hopefully they'll add it back in at some point.  

Hey guys!!
Just wanted to drop in say hello. It's been a while since my last post. Been busy busy with my kiddos. But happy to report even tho I'm so in the red on data and have 38% left of my 2am to 8 am data left things are still working just fine. I have 6 days left till I renew so I'll try to drop in and let u guys know how bad or good I'll do this go around.
Thanks so much for your support!!
maratsade

You've got this, Eva! Do come back and let us know how you did. 

GabeU

@Eva-79 

That's great news!  That it's still working well, even though you're out of your regular plan data, is good to know.  🙂