Hughesnet Community

I'm here as directed. So who's going to resolve the issue of unblocking the SIP protocol?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mariana Cox

I'm here as directed. So who's going to resolve the issue of unblocking the SIP protocol?

SIP protocol is being blocked which is preventing my VOIP provider's service from communicating.  I spoke with a number of people at hughesnet yesterday who essentially laughed at my problem
9 REPLIES 9
Amanda

Hello Mariana,

Welcome to our community and thank you for reaching out to us. We understand that you may want to use your other phone provider with our service, however because of the nature of satellite internet, we've provided our customers a pre-configured Voice option that offers the same quality features but works with our service. SIP protocol may appear blocked due to the many layers of our network that provide functionality for our customers in terms of accelerated browsing and compression technology. We apologize for the inconvenience and please let us know if you have any further concerns.

Thank you
Amanda
Mariana Cox

SIP is blocked!  I don't want your voip service.  I want to continue to use mine, which I've had for almost 10 years.
Mariana Cox

I can post the page that actually shows that SIP is being blocked!!
Mariana Cox

My internet is DISH net but it is powered, apparently, by Hughes Net.  My Modem is a hughesnet modem.  Dish has stated that they cannot access the configuration of the modem as it belongs to HUGHESnet.  My conversations with hughesnet "technical support" led to them telling me that I had to contact dish as there's nothing they can do.  SIP ALG needs to be disabled.  Why is this so difficult?
Amanda

Hi Mariana,

I will go ahead and try to break down what I meant to say in my first reply:

SIP appears disabled but it isn't - it is just hidden behind the layers of our network (namely Web Acceleration) and even then, disabling Web Acceleration may let SIP appear enabled, however you will still have high latency on the call.  

Again, it is not disabled or blocked, but appears that way because of the network's general configuration.  If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to post them here instead of Facebook so that we can keep track of your posts easier.

Thank you
Amanda
Mariana Cox

Cisco-Linksys LLCRouterVoice InfoSystemRegionalLine 1Line 2User 1User 2

Admin Login      basic  |    advanced

Product InformationProduct Name:SPA-2102Serial Number:FM500L439927Software Version:5.2.5Hardware Version:1.3.5(a)MAC Address:000E0827B638Client Certificate:InstalledCustomization:Open System StatusCurrent Time:6/16/2016 09:42:17Elapsed Time:23:20:57RTP Packets Sent:0RTP Bytes Sent:0RTP Packets Recv:0RTP Bytes Recv:0SIP Messages Sent:18544SIP Bytes Sent:8056368SIP Messages Recv:0SIP Bytes Recv:0External IP: Line 1 StatusHook State:OnRegistration State:FailedLast Registration At:0/0/0 00:00:00Next Registration In:6 sMessage Waiting:NoCall Back Active:NoLast Called Number:Last Caller Number:Mapped SIP Port:Call 1 State:IdleCall 2 State:IdleCall 1 Tone:NoneCall 2 Tone:NoneCall 1 Encoder:Call 2 Encoder:Call 1 Decoder:Call 2 Decoder:Call 1 FAX:Call 2 FAX:Call 1 Type:Call 2 Type:Call 1 Remote Hold:Call 2 Remote Hold:Call 1 Callback:Call 2 Callback:Call 1 Peer Name:Call 2 Peer Name:Call 1 Peer Phone:Call 2 Peer Phone:Call 1 Duration:Call 2 Duration:Call 1 Packets Sent:Call 2 Packets Sent:Call 1 Packets Recv:Call 2 Packets Recv:Call 1 Bytes Sent:Call 2 Bytes Sent:Call 1 Bytes Recv:Call 2 Bytes Recv:Call 1 Decode Latency:Call 2 Decode Latency:Call 1 Jitter:Call 2 Jitter:Call 1 Round Trip Delay:Call 2 Round Trip Delay:Call 1 Packets Lost:Call 2 Packets Lost:Call 1 Packet Error:Call 2 Packet Error:Call 1 Mapped RTP Port:Call 2 Mapped RTP Port:Call 1 Media Loopback:Call 2 Media Loopback: Line 2 StatusHook State:OnRegistration State:Not RegisteredLast Registration At:Next Registration In:Message Waiting:NoCall Back Active:NoLast Called Number:Last Caller Number:Mapped SIP Port:Call 1 State:IdleCall 2 State:IdleCall 1 Tone:NoneCall 2 Tone:NoneCall 1 Type:Call 2 Type:Call 1 Encoder:Call 2 Encoder:Call 1 Decoder:Call 2 Decoder:Call 1 FAX:Call 2 FAX:Call 1 Remote Hold:Call 2 Remote Hold:Call 1 Callback:Call 2 Callback:Call 1 Peer Name:Call 2 Peer Name:Call 1 Peer Phone:Call 2 Peer Phone:Call 1 Duration:Call 2 Duration:Call 1 Packets Sent:Call 2 Packets Sent:Call 1 Packets Recv:Call 2 Packets Recv:Call 1 Bytes Sent:Call 2 Bytes Sent:Call 1 Bytes Recv:Call 2 Bytes Recv:Call 1 Decode Latency:Call 2 Decode Latency:Call 1 Jitter:Call 2 Jitter:Call 1 Round Trip Delay:Call 2 Round Trip Delay:Call 1 Packets Lost:Call 2 Packets Lost:Call 1 Packet Error:Call 2 Packet Error:Call 1 Mapped RTP Port:Call 2 Mapped RTP Port:Call 1 Media Loopback:Call 2 Media Loopback:
  Admin Login      basic  |    advanced

Mariana Cox

Notice how SIP bytes are sent but none are received?  That's because the protocol is blocked.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

You are sitting behind a CGN server.

As Amanda stated, SIP is not blocked.

Have you tried disabling web acceleration to see if it (more or less) works then ?

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Simply put there is no direct channel to the internet on satellite like there is with ground based internet. There is a layer between which converts the communication back and forth thus resulting in some ports and services appearing to be blocked which really are not.