Hughesnet Community

I need assistance. My internet has slowed to a crawl...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Melody Hollis
New Poster

I need assistance. My internet has slowed to a crawl...

I usually get quick assistance posting here to the forum, so I just wanted to give a heads up that my internet speeds took a dive this morning down to 36mps. I ran a connectivity test which showed 20% packet loss. It may resolve itself while I'm at work today, but if someone gets a chance to take a look at my system and make sure nothing needs to be fixed I would appreciate it. I rely on having an internet connection at home for all communication (no cell service here) so the sooner I can get back up and running, the better. Thanks! 
68 REPLIES 68
Melody Hollis
New Poster

P.S. I restarted my modem and pc. Skies are clear. I haven't exceeded my bandwidth. etc., etc. 

P.P.S. I've tried running additional speed tests, but my connection is too slow to even complete the test. 
tomcox1
New Poster

Same here. What's wrong at HughesNet? My modem is up, billing pd just started, no weather problems... DNS problems? Connection to backbone? Something needs fixed. This is dialup-slow, when it doesn't fail altogether. Fix it, HughesNet.
Melody Hollis
New Poster

Usually my speeds are okay-for satellite. This is definitely a system problem I am experiencing. It is not normal for it to be this slow, especially at 5-6 in the morning. I always get a prompt solution here in the forums, so if you haven't done so already, start a thread and let HN know you are having problems with your speeds. It helps if you go ahead and run a few speed tests and post a screen shot of the results. Don't bother calling tech support. It takes weeks to get any resolution that way. The forum moderators here are really great.
nlvolk

Issues here in Kansas, too....so slow it won't even load a web page.
Melody Hollis
New Poster

Interesting. Maybe their satellite got hit by a meteor. 😉
tomcox1
New Poster

Whatever problem HughesNet Tech Support will deny exists appears to have been fixed. Decent page loading times (for satellite) have resumed. (OOPS!) Spoke too soon! Back to dragging like dialup, again. HughesNEt, whatever you just didn't do needs to be done again.
Mordacious

Have any of you checked weather at your gateway?
Melody Hollis
New Poster

How do I find out where my gateway is?
Bob5
Sophomore

Very slow for me too. Cant get Amazon to load or even Facebook.  Just started early this morning. Clear skies

Mordacious

Go to your SCC - System control Center http://192.168.0.1/

System information or system status will give you your gateway info

Post your gateway ID here and one of us will be able to tell you where it is. Weather at your ground station/gateway will affect your preformance just as badly as weather at your location.
tomcox1
New Poster

Seems like HN could check its gateways for weather-related problems. Of course, that would be to admit that their uplinks don't have enough margin to overcome rain fade.
Mordacious

tom

Would you like Hughesnet to stop by and wipe your nose for you as well?
Reggie
Teaching Assistant

Tom

Care to explain how HN is to control the weather?
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Rain fade is one thing but severe thunderstorms at the gateway location or the user's location are a whole different story. Thunderstorms have very thick extremely high clouds with tons of rain, not to mention the lightning component. We are talking about a wireless system here subject to all the pitfalls of wireless.
Melody Hollis
New Poster

Okay. I'll have to do that when I get home from work. Thanks for the info!
Chris11
Alum

Hello Melody,

This should be temporary. It is due to your Gateway going through a maintenance period(Gateway 4 Billings, MT). We got word that everything should be completed. However you may still experience the system catching up to where it needs to be. Keep us posted.

Thank you,
Chris
tomcox1
New Poster

I wasn't suggesting HN could do anything about the weather, as even a slow-witted person like Reggie should realize. What I would like to see is a status board that shows that info, so a customer can check it and just go away until the weather has passed, if the uplink is getting hammered. And Mendacious, no, but you can kiss my ass any time.
Mordacious

I'm not of that particular lifestyle, but I do support your right to live your life as you see fit.

Any user with an IQ in at least double digits can check the weather at their gateway with about 2 or 3 clicks, but then in your case, maybe not.
tomcox1
New Poster

Back up, again. That has happened a couple of times, with short-term function sliding back into failure, but maybe this is the one that sticks.
tomcox1
New Poster

Okay, Mendacious... How does one check the weather with the Internet connection failing to load pages? Psychically?