Hughesnet Community

I need assistance. My internet has slowed to a crawl...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Melody Hollis
New Poster

I need assistance. My internet has slowed to a crawl...

I usually get quick assistance posting here to the forum, so I just wanted to give a heads up that my internet speeds took a dive this morning down to 36mps. I ran a connectivity test which showed 20% packet loss. It may resolve itself while I'm at work today, but if someone gets a chance to take a look at my system and make sure nothing needs to be fixed I would appreciate it. I rely on having an internet connection at home for all communication (no cell service here) so the sooner I can get back up and running, the better. Thanks! 
68 REPLIES 68
Mordacious

You didn't say you didn't have ANY internet, you said your internet has SLOWED TO A CRAWL... make up your mind sweetheart.

BTW, I do have several friends that live under the rainbow flag, seeing as you offered yourself to me I can only assume you're looking.  Can I hook you up?
Amanda

Okay, I think we need to cut in here. Please do not post anything else that does not contribute to helping the original poster in a positive way on ANY post in the community. This is considered inflammatory and useless.

Final warning for everyone.

Amanda
tomcox1
New Poster

Amanda, thanks for stopping by. Has there been any severe weather at any of the uplink sites, or anything else that might explain continuing problems with pages failing out after long loading times?
tomcox1
New Poster

Mail works fine, by the way, and ping times to various sites aren't any slower than usual, so I was wondering about a DNS service problem, or a failure of a portion of the backbone.
Amanda

Hi Tom

No severe weather, but I have been letting some people here who fall into the right locations that we are experiencing a degradation on one of our gateways. This affects customers on Gateway 4 as listed below by Chris-  some users include those living in the OK, KS, KY and TN areas.. I'd like to address your idea above, though, about a table alert someone can check for locations that might be experiencing downtime. This is something we have discussed before and while we like the idea, satellite internet is just too unpredictable in terms of weather outages, hardware, etc to set up something like this. Setup and maintenance cost alone, plus false alarms and determining sensitivity just aren't something we can do right now. I, however, have personally designed my own prototype for a tool I think would be something like this and isn't so intense on engineering efforts. It's been looked at and is being considered, but these things take time. Hope that I could help!

FYI, if you want me to see if you're in the neighborhood of this degradation, leave your serial number here and I'll check. 

Thanks
Amanda
tomcox1
New Poster

I am in Middle TN. Are you referring to the ESN?
Amanda

Yes 
tomcox1
New Poster

And the status board wouldn't need a reason for an outage or diminished service, just a red/yellow/green status like the system status in the modem control center page.
tomcox1
New Poster

ESN:10680586
tomcox1
New Poster

Chores to do. I will check back later. Or, if you prefer, text me at the # on my account info.
Amanda

Hi Tom

Just checked. You are in the area experiencing this issue. Just received an update from the operations center that they are still working on it, but no ETA yet for completion. Your idea for the red/yellow/green is somewhat similar to my proposal... Fingers crossed that with the launch of the new satellite they launch the tool too! 🙂

Amanda
tomcox1
New Poster

Thanks. That status page might preclude some tech support traffic, if that is an argument that could be persuasive with management.
tomcox1
New Poster

Thanks. That status page might preclude some tech support traffic, if that is an argument that could be persuasive with management.
Amanda

Agreed - which will save us money! And saving us money means pizza parties!! Ahem.. I mean, not pizza parties 🙂
tomcox1
New Poster

That was the argument, right up to the pizza part. I would leave that off.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Ehh, slower than a snail for me here Chris... Facebook just flat out refuses to load (reboots and all that good stuff...  Amanda knows I know what I am doing), sits and sits...  Can't click on anything on Facebook, because the page never finishes loading.

IPGW: BIL31HNSIGW62B001Adv
ESN: 10001803
Amanda

Yup. Related to Gateway 4 degradation (slow or no connection). BIL = Billings, MT as mentioned by Chris above. We've got the right people on site so we're hoping for this to be cleared up soon.

Amanda
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I've been to Billings when in the service. Wonder how far those poor folks had to drive!
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

I know the right people are on it, just wanted to say it's not fully fixed >.>...  Not fun waking up to an angry family before work hearing the internet has been funky. XD
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Yep, Gateway 4 here, in Western NY.  Still slow, but I'm patient, and I know people are working on it.  That's all that matters to me.   

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I've been to Billings when in the service. Wonder how far those poor folks had to drive!
Unless they flew in on private jet.  : )