Hughesnet Community

I need to speak to a person with some arthority to fix my problem.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Christal Brown

I need to speak to a person with some arthority to fix my problem.

I need to speak to a person with some arthority to fix my problem. We have been with Huhesnet for several years and we have only ran outof data two or three times. For the last three months we have "used" all of our date each month. One month after just a few days. We I called about it I was told that the problem could be fixed for $215. I told him No Thank You. I already pay almost $100 a month. Just fix the probem. Please help.
22 REPLIES 22
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Christal,

Do you have multiple devices that are using your Hughesnet, and if so, what are they?  Windows 10 computers can use a ton of data if not set up a certain way.  Streaming, of course, can use a lot, too.  Facebook automatically playing videos can be another data hog.  Do you have anything that might be connecting through your router (if you have one) without you knowing it?

Have you noticed any instances where it seems like the system is using data when you aren't actively using anything? 

Glasswire, a free program for your computer, can tell you how much data your computer is using and just what on the computer is using it, but it only monitors the computer, nothing else. 

The people on here can help you drill down what is going on.

To add, the following may also help....

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/wheres-my-bytes-how-to-test-for-data-leaks

Christal Brown

Yes I am using windows 10. Mostly all I do is play games on Facebook. I don't watch videos or movies except for short clips on Facebook and not all that often.
GabeU

The following can help with data usage reduction...

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/hughesnet-data-management-tips-n-tricks-how-to-el...

The biggest things with Windows 10 is to turn off syncing, turn off "updates from more than one place,"  and turn off "OneDrive" and set it so it doesn't start up on computer startup (it's probably on in your system tray).  Also go into the settings on Facebook to set it to NOT play videos automatically.   

GabeU

This is also something that may help to do the above things.  It's from a previous thread...

If you have Windows 10 on the computers, you will want to make sure that they aren't using the cloud (OneDrive) and aren't syncing.  To turn syncing off go to settings,  accounts, then "sync your settings."  The top option on that page should be to turn your sync settings on or off.  Turn it off.  As for the cloud (OneDrive), it may be on in your system tray.  Right click it and go into the settings and change it so it doesn't start on startup.   Then exit out of it to turn it off for that time.  Right click it again, click exit and then click "Close OneDrive." It won't start again when your computer starts next time.  The last thing with regard to the cloud is to go into settings, system, then storage.  Make sure all of the save locations are somewhere on your computer, whether "This PC" or your C drive.  Just make sure none of them say anything about the cloud.

Also, go into settings, then Update & Security.  Click on Advanced Options, then Choose how updates are delivered.  Turn off "updates from more than one place."  That's another thing that will eat up some bandwidth.      

Then make sure Facebook isn't set to play videos automatically. 

Those few things alone will probably save you a lot of bandwidth. 

deepdiver1
Sophomore

Really strange you talked to who? re they will fix it for $215??? That could be a service call but that is real strange. A service rep here will want more info re that call and they have authority to answer. Usage, as Gabe says, requires some investigation, control, and use of software to help identify where and when the data is going. Lots of helpful info here on this site. Do some homework and let us know what you find. Something has obviously changed in your usage.
GabeU

Here's the link for Glasswire, by the way... https://www.glasswire.com/

Also, one other good idea would be to install an ad blocker.  Those ads on just about all websites can use quite a bit of data, as well.  The most popular one seems to be AdBlock Plus.  You can get that at... https://adblockplus.org/  It's free, as well, and there are versions for just about any browser you are using.

Pawnee County

I am sure glad I use Linux that Windows stuff is a major joke.
GabeU

Linux is great, but it certainly takes a little bit of getting used to for someone coming from Windows.  I have Mint on another drive in this computer and use it once in a blue moon.
Pawnee County

I have Windows 10 on another partition and use it once in a blue moon maybe.  But I am about to format that partition to ext4 and say bye bye to Windows forever.  I do not see anything worth a plug nickle about Windows.  It is a data hog, full of viruses, full of malware, full of explicit, and  can not understand why anyone would fall for  Microsoft rubbish.  Use Mint more often and you will find yourself more apt to go there than Windows.
GabeU

It's all up to the user's personal preference.  I like Mint, but I like Windows more.  I've used it since 1995 and it's what I'm used to.  I've only ever had one virus, and that was the "Happy99" worm, which was more comical than anything else.  I have mine set so it's not a data hog.  I actually have three W10 computers.  My home built desktop, which I'm on most of the time, my Dell laptop which I use sometimes, and my Acer notebook, which I only have because it was free and which I seldom use.  I have all three up to date, including Malwarebytes, CCleaner and my antivirus.  I'm through 18 days of my cycle and have used a total of 1.5GB of Anytime Data and 836MB of bonus bytes.  No data hogs here, but then I have them set up properly as to not be.  For me, Windows is just fine.   
Christal Brown

Thank you each for your suggestions. I will try to put them into use. The only thing I have ever used besides Windows in the C prompt and the punch cards. I think both of them came over on the Ark.
James E Besser

I like my new apple iMac  Just got it a week ago nice big screen wireless key board and mouse worth the cash wanted one for years. have a G5 iMac was getting out dated
Amanda

Hello Christal,

Welcome to our community and thank you for your post. We're happy to see other members have already started helping you get started on your concerns, but we'd also like to investigate what led up to the expensive offer for support. Do you have a recent case number or maybe the serial number of your modem? This will allow us to find your account and get started.

Meanwhile, the people here can really help out with data usage and Windows 10. I have been using it at home for about a few months and still don't have it completely locked down.

Thanks,
Amanda
Christal Brown

Hello Amanda,

Thank you for responding. I do not have a case number but I have the serial number to the new modem. It is B30010926936AH. We have had it about a month. Can not tell any difference as of yet.
I called customer service a few weeks ago about the large amount of usage. The man I spoke with did some test to see if the equipment was working correctly, He told me it was. Then he told me he would transfer me to technical services. The man I then spoke with told me that my computer was the problem and that he could fix it. It would only cost $215. I believe that number is correct. I was in somewhat of a shock when I heard it. I told him I was not paying anything more. He then said if I couldn't pay it all at one time then I could pay $17 a month. I was beginning to think it was a scam so I hung up.
I totally lost internet connection last night and had to pay $9 for some more data. Paid $10 last month.  I am about at the end of my rope. I have implemented some of the suggestions that GabeU gave me and am working on others.
Thank you for any help you can give me.
Pawnee County

Hey Cristal

I wrote my first BASIC Program for NC Machine Programing with a key punch back in 1975 it didn't work but it got me started. 
deepdiver1
Sophomore

Sounds like that outside computer help firm which Hughes techs sometimes refer you to. They had me for $99/yr once and have since called many times trying to get me to sign up again. I do not know why Hughes deals with them.Not really a scam per se but probably not the way to go.
Liz

Good morning Christal,

Thanks for the serial number, I was able to pull up your account and I do see that you were referred to our tech support partner, Home Tech Support (HTS). I don't see any notes from them about your conversation with HTS, unfortunately, but I can see that we did transfer you over to them after we determined the unidentified usage was not coming from the HughesNet modem.

I'm not sure how the $215 quote was reached, as you can see that's not anywhere in their pricing provided here on their website: http://hometechsupport.sutherlandglobal.com/services.aspx

I suggest you stick around in the community for assistance with your unidentified data usage concerns. I see our seasoned members have already stepped up to help you figure out what is using your data. GlassWire is definitely recommended to pinpoint which programs on a PC are using you data and how much.

While you're figuring this out and working with the community, I've sent you some free tokens to help. You may receive an e-mailed confirmation for these complimentary tokens.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Christal Brown

Thank you.
Christal Brown

My first computer class was in 1981 and that was with the punch cards. My dad was in the Air Force and worked with computers encrypting and decrypting messages that came and went at the pentagon.  As a child I thought his office was lined wall to wall with refrigerators. Little did I know then, they were computers. State of the art then but more power now in a cell phone.
Christal Brown

Syncing off, glasswire installed, One Drive turned off, AdBlock Plus installed, Facebook auto videos were already off. I thin that is a good start. Thanks for the help.