cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I see so many complaints about speed and streaming

I see so many complaints about speed and streaming

I see so many complaints about speed and streaming , easy fix , satellite internet has a lag due to distance signal has to travel get a Belkin ac 1600 uses data compression and speeds up service incredibly also "if" you have to watch Netflix or Hulu go into account settings on respective service and turn down resolution, uses much less data and loads much faster. Had service for 2.5 years and consistent speeds of 16+ Mbps. Router makes all the difference.
4 REPLIES 4
Associate Professor

Re: I see so many complaints about speed and streaming

You can't compress data anymore than what it is already compressed.  Hughesnet uses "Web Acceleration" which means there is a server on the other side of the satellite that fetches a website, compresses it, and sends the package in full to you.

But yes, a good quality router will make all the difference.

Hi Terrell,

We're happy to hear you are enjoying your service! Great tip about the resolution and we'll keep the modem recommendation on our list Smiley Happy 

Have a great weekend,
Amanda

How did you configure your Belkin AC1600?  I bought one, and it doesn't seem any faster than my old Asus RT-N12.  I am not getting any benefit from the 5gh on laptops, and hardwired to desktop not any faster either.  Have not tried any streaming yet.  My Speedtests have been pretty poor since getting the AC1600 and have swapped back to the RT-N12, but it was still slow.
Honorary Alumnus

"How did you configure your Belkin AC1600?  I bought one, and it doesn't seem any faster than my old Asus RT-N12."

A change in router is not going to "pump up" your download/upload performance unless the router was a choke point in your network to begin with.

Baseline speed tests need to be run to determine if your system is operating within normal parameters for your platform (HN7000s, HN9000, HT1xxx) and plan level.

These initial tests need to be performed with a single computer connected directly to the modem to reduce the number of variables to the absolute minimum. 

Once that is done the tests can be repeated with the router connected and compare the results.

You do have to keep in mind that the number of connected devices and the type of their activity will affect speeds due to a number of reasons such as QoS being enabled, QoS type and any router enabled load balancing and frequency shifting features.