cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I still cannot even watch a 1 minute video of ANYTHING

I still cannot even watch a 1 minute video of ANYTHING

If only I had seen these comments BEFORE we got HughesNet. And I thought ATT DSL was lousy. My beautiful brand new top of the line DELL laptop, a year old,and I can't do CRAP with it. DELL wants me to send it to TEXAS,now this service is so bad,I took it to Geek Squad at Best Buy. And PAID to have it checked out. The laptop is fine,but I still cannot even watch a 1 minute video of ANYTHING. Not on FaceBook,,nowhere,  I work for Jack Russell Rescue,and people cannot get to me,plus for the FIRST time in the 30 years we have lived out here,we lost our LAND LINE 3 times now, in the last 2 months.What the heck? ATT blames HughesNet, we also have DirecTV HD,they blame HughesNet too. Oh yes we have called,and told to pay more,we upgraded to even WORSE service. HT1100 router and Belkin modem.These were the the equpment itemsthe installers told us we needed.I need some help with this,I am an invalid and have a closed head injury. I need to be able to HELP our Rescue especially now during the holidays. Can you please help me to figure out what the problem is? I can't do it myself,I am no PC expert,just a regular dumb person with stage 4 dementia. Hubs tried to buy more time last night,12-13,and I tried to buy more during the day,12-13. But they didn't show up on the meter. That is about all I know about DSL and he is no genius either. Can you help me? Thank You, MS
35 REPLIES 35

Re: I still cannot even watch a 1 minute video of ANYTHING

Hi Madelyn,

Welcome and thanks for posting, we'd certainly like to help address your concerns. So we're clear, you can connect to the internet, but it's slow? Please follow Bill's suggestion above and connect one computer to the HughesNet modem directly. Please let us know if you can browse normally. If you're trying to watch videos, be sure they are not in HD quality. Lower your playback setting to prevent excessive buffering.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Freshman

Install the HughesNet Status meter to see what your data usage is and how much is left. If you have used it up already then your speed will be like dialup. You will need to use a free or purchased token. Learn from this forum how to monitor and control your usage. If you had DSL on your landline from AT&T you probably should have kept it.
Honorary Alumnus

When you purchase Tokens they don't show up on the "meter" in the usual sense.

You have THREE data "buckets" from which to draw data from depending upon time and conditions.

#1: Anytime Bytes (usually used between 8am and 2am local)

#2: Bonus Bytes ( read as "latenight bytes" used between 2 am and 8am local)

#3: Token Bytes:

Token Bytes are blocks of data you can buy and then are "used" to transfer them from the purchase page to the "Available Token Bytes" data bucket.

Token data does not show up on your regular meter but instead has its own category.

This prevents purchased token data from being lost when you either get your monthly refill of move to the late night (2am to 8am ) time period.

(click on picture for larger image)

On a data capped service you have to watch your rate of usage.

There are three different meters from which to chose depending on you desired accuracy at the time:

#1: There is the modems SCC (System Control Center) found by entering 192.168.0.1 into your browser:

#2: There is another meter available as a download that can be found on the your Hughes "dashboard" called the Download Status Meter:

http://my.hughesnet.com/

#3: The most accurate of the meters, the "at a glance" meter is also found after login to your dashboard and reads down to the single MB usage level:

These are the "tools" that you have to track active usage. Additionally there are "History" displays but as such are after the fact.

Bill,do you mean connect my laptop directly to the modem? I do have a DELL Inspiron,but purchased my laptop because Windows dumped support for XP. If I turn that thing on all I get is red icons everywhere and warnings NOT to use it. It isn't even plugged in much less able to be used for anything but listening to music.What good is wireless if I have to connect my laptop to the modem? I will try this,will this give me some kind of idea of how to get internet service? Should I schedule an appt with a tech?  ATT is the worst and the repair guy installed ANOTHER  PHONE JACK.Thank You,Madelyn D Seele

Have installed the meter,I have NO more data but have lots of Bonus bytes. I have tried and so has my Husband to buy more tokens and it isn't working.
Highlighted

Okay. I just unplugged my ATT landline from my Sharp Aquos Smart TV. I still have my DirecTV. So ATT was lying when they said I needed a landline. OMG. And now THEY are selling DirecTV. I could not find a cord with 2 flat ends to match the slots in the modem and the laptop.                                                                                      So guess I will have to spend more money buying one. After I get done with ATT and the liar repair guy,some butt is going to be hurting. That repair guy even asked my husband if he was satisfied 4 times before he left,he didn't leave an order card and he was in our driveway for 20 minutes probably telling whoever his boss is what he did..........the next dayI got a call from some upper mgt person from ATT calmly telling me it is OUR house wiring that is bad,not anything outside. So is that why he said he had to repair a broken wire,OUTSIDE in the grey box?
Freshman

You only need to connect the landline to your Aquos TV if you want to purchase premium Pay to view movies. However connecting it doesn't use HughesNet data. The concern is connecting your TV to your network wirelessly thru the smart TV setup, then using that to view movies or connect to YouTube, Vudu, etc. I also have an Aquos and have it connected to my landline, never use it for pay to view, but do use the Caller ID function sometimes.
The AT&T man was filling in the service call info into his system while in your driveway, then transmitting it to the repair status center. No problem there.

Bill thank you for taking the time to help me. PICTURES WORK. Merry Christmas to you and yours.  M

Well,I was determined to find out why this kept happening. When I MOVED that big TV,the guy had connected it to the new phone jack he installed. As soon as the guy left,the TV started to act goofy,a black screen for  about a second while changing channels. I know this TV is a computer,and yes,I have my connection. So for a couple days,I just let it go,thinking I just don't know,I'll never get this  computer stuff. I'm old. But I can follow instructions. You know this is not a cheap TV,I love it. I know the menu, Something made me push that big TV out and go look at the back......As soon as I disconnected that line,everything was back the way it was,and my laptop stopped buffering and acting weird.  I do have the caller ID set as I do on the HD TV. And I do plan on downloading the entire seasons of Vikings. Now I know what to do and order extra data usage.                                         Thank you for helping me with this.That was a really nice thing to do. Having to ask for help with simple stuff is embarrassing and makes me feel dopey. Hope you and yours have a wonderful Merry Christmas, DD.                     M