I thought tech support would help?!?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mistymoran
Freshman

I thought tech support would help?!?

I was chatting with tech support so that they could help me trouble shoot my streaming issues but everytime they got disconected😑 Anyway ive only had hughesnet for a little over a week and have had issues since day one. Streaming keeps buffering and video quality is worse than VHS. Was asked if streaming was better using wifi on my phone. Why would i pay for wifi to watch stuff off my phone????? In fact the data off of my phone plan streams better than my wifi.
11 REPLIES 11
mistymoran
Freshman

Thank you for chatting with Hughes Network Systems today.
5:30:02 PM Misty Moran> I mainly use my internet to video stream music concerts through youtube. However it buffers so much during peak hours that i cant watch anything. Fyi i work or sleep during non peak hours. Feeling like im paying alot for nothing.
5:30:08 PM Please wait while we connect you to a live agent. The next available agent will text you back.
5:30:09 PM Agent 3269771 Castellanos, ChrÃ’R joined chat.
5:30:26 PM 3269771 Castellanos, ChrÃ’R> Hello My name is Christopher Castellanos. I appreciate the opportunity to assist you today.
5:30:34 PM 3269771 Castellanos, ChrÃ’R> How can I assist you today?
5:31:32 PM Misty Moran> Streaming slow. Keeps buffering and alot of distortion
5:32:03 PM 3269771 Castellanos, ChrÃ’R> We are concerned to know that you are having video streaming issues.
5:32:12 PM 3269771 Castellanos, ChrÃ’R> Let me help you by checking your internet service. Is it okay if I ask you a few questions to better assist you? 5:32:23 PM Misty Moran> Yes
5:32:50 PM 3269771 Castellanos, ChrÃ’R> Thank you. Could you please verify your name and phone contact number associated with the account?
5:33:14 PM Misty Moran> Misty Moran 5413632066
5:33:54 PM 3269771 Castellanos, ChrÃ’R> Thank you. Please allow me a moment to have the account pull up.
5:34:09 PM Misty Moran> K
5:35:10 PM 3269771 Castellanos, ChrÃ’R> Thank you for your patience. I was able to get and validate the account, now I will run some diagnostics on my end, please allow me a moment. 5:35:23 PM Misty Moran> Ok
5:36:18 PM 3269771 Castellanos, ChrÃ’R> What streaming device are you currently using (TV, Roku, PC, Cellphone, Tablet, IPad, Firestick, Dish/DirecTV receive, etc)?
5:38:04 PM Misty Moran> Firestick, but before that i was going trough a bluray player and same issues 5:38:23 PM 3269771 Castellanos, ChrÃ’R> Thanks. What streaming service are you using (Netflix, Disney +, YouTube, Amazon, Dish/DirectTV Pay Per View, HBO GO, Hulu, etc )? 5:39:08 PM Misty Moran> Youtube but during peak hours amazon prime is distorted too 5:39:22 PM 3269771 Castellanos, ChrÃ’R> When did the issue begin?
5:39:49 PM Misty Moran> I only ever had just one devise contected to wifi at a time. N since day one 5:40:29 PM 3269771 Castellanos, ChrÃ’R> Thanks. How often do you experience the problem with the video?
5:41:55 PM Misty Moran> Well guess during peak hours but i work dayshift so i have no choice other than using it during peak hours
5:43:33 PM 3269771 Castellanos, ChrÃ’R> Thank you so much for all the information. Now I will need to run 3 speed tests on my end in order to verify the real speed that your modem is getting from our satellite. Please wait a few minutes 5:43:51 PM Misty Moran> Ok 5:44:57 PM 3269771 Castellanos, ChrÃ’R> I'm waiting for the last test, please wait a few minutes more 5:45:04 PM Misty Moran> Ok
5:46:33 PM 3269771 Castellanos, ChrÃ’R> Your speeds are 18, 21 and 19 Mbps. Now, since your modem is getting good speed, we will need to make some changes to your modem in order to improve the performance. Could you please help me out with that? 5:46:50 PM Misty Moran> Yes 5:52:46 PM Misty Moran> Still there? 5:57:42 PM Misty Moran> Hello?
Hughes Network Systems Chat Team

Thank you for chatting with Hughes Network Systems today.
6:20:19 PM Misty Moran> I was chatting with someone about my streaming and i dont know what happened they quit answering
6:20:22 PM Please wait while we connect you to a live agent. The next available agent will text you back.
6:21:23 PM Please wait while all our agents are busy attending other customers. 6:22:01 PM Agent 3564378 Medrano, JessicaÃ’R joined chat.
6:22:11 PM 3564378 Medrano, JessicaÃ’R> Thank you for contacting Hughes Net chat support, my name is Jessica Medrano from the Brownsville, TX support center. How can I assist you
today?
6:22:22 PM Misty Moran> Yes i was chatting with another tech about video streaming buffering and distortion and he did speed test and said i need to change some things on my modem but he never answered back after that
6:23:22 PM 3564378 Medrano, JessicaÃ’R> I do apologize that you were disconnected! I would be more than happy to help you with that today! To better
assist you with this is it okay if I gather some more information to get started?
6:23:42 PM Misty Moran> Ok n thank you
6:25:14 PM 3564378 Medrano, JessicaÃ’R> Thank you. Can I have your first and last name?
Can I also have the phone number that is associated with the account? 6:25:37 PM Misty Moran> Misty Moran 5413632066
6:26:43 PM 3564378 Medrano, JessicaÃ’R> Awesome thank you. What streaming services are you having the issues with?
6:27:59 PM Misty Moran> Mainly youtube but is not the best quality with any of the apps. N im using an amazon stick but was the same using bluray player
6:29:04 PM 3564378 Medrano, JessicaÃ’R> besides the blueray player and the firestick, is there another device that you use?
6:29:16 PM 3564378 Medrano, JessicaÃ’R> Also besides YouTube, is there another one that you use, lik netflix or hulu?
6:30:24 PM Misty Moran> I just use wifi mainly for streaming so just that. I dont have a laptop. N yes amazon prime
6:31:42 PM 3564378 Medrano, JessicaÃ’R> On the Samsung J7, have you tried to play youtube? 6:33:36 PM Misty Moran> Seems like most of the time i get better quality off of using just my regular data off my phone. N no because the screen is small. Wanna be able to watch it on the big screen 6:38:36 PM Misty Moran> If i wanted to watch it on my phone then i would just pay for my service on my phone n only pay one bill. I got wifi so i could watch it off the tv

Each time i get disconnected. Beginning to feel like hughesnet is a scam.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@mistymoran 

A couple of things you can try are lowering the resolution of the stream, either at the source or via the app you're using (if you're using one), and turning off, or snoozing, the Video Data Saver.  

You may also want to check your service speed to see if it's adequate.  To do so, you can run a few tests at testmy.net, and in the manner stated in these speed testing instructions.

If you mainly use WiFi, you may also want to try streaming on a LAN cable connected device, like a desktop or laptop computer, to see if it's any better in order to determine whether the WiFi itself may be contributing to the issue.  

With this said, though speeds may be adequate, streaming may not always work very well with HughesNet, unfortunately.   This is especially the case with the recent considerable increase in online traffic due to the pandemic.  Congestion as a result of that increased traffic and the high latency inherent to geostationary satellite internet can make streaming more difficult than it would be with a terrestrial internet service (cable, fiber, DSL, etc.).  Also, though some streaming services may work, others may not work as well.  This is especially the case with Amazon Prime, which seems to be the most problematic.  

Lastly, just as a suggestion, you may want to look into PlayOn Cloud.  Some of us who have satellite internet use PlayOn Cloud to get around the possible streaming issues, including the buffering.  Granted, it's not the same, as it isn't instant or "live" like regular streaming, but it's an option.

Yes i have tried changing the resolution but even at the lowest resolution it buffers. I do understand that with the pandemic that the congestion is increased and i was not expecting satellite to be as good as say spectrum. However if i cant even get a 5 minute music video to play on low resolution without buffering at least 4 times then there is an issue. I am no stranger to satellite. Most people use satellite in some form. Cell phone service runs of of sattelite and like i said streaming works better off of my cell phone data than my hughesnet service. Im trying to resolve this issue because i want it to work but everytime i think im getting somewhere i get the run around or get "disconnected". If there is indeed a setting that i need to change on my modem then im willing to do that. Im not an unreasonable person, i just dont want to pay for something that doesnt work.
maratsade

You may be getting disconnected for the same reason your videos buffer.  Have you tried chatting earlier, say at 9 am? I'm not sure if they're there 24/7, but it may be helpful to chat during times when there's less congestion. 

In any case, the official HughesNet reps on this site may be able to check your system to see if it's operating as it's supposed to. They're normally here M-F during business hours, but they're spread pretty thin, so hang in there while they get to you.   

mistymoran wrote:
Yes i have tried changing the resolution but even at the lowest resolution it buffers. I do understand that with the pandemic that the congestion is increased and i was not expecting satellite to be as good as say spectrum. However if i cant even get a 5 minute music video to play on low resolution without buffering at least 4 times then there is an issue. I am no stranger to satellite. Most people use satellite in some form. Cell phone service runs of of sattelite and like i said streaming works better off of my cell phone data than my hughesnet service. Im trying to resolve this issue because i want it to work but everytime i think im getting somewhere i get the run around or get "disconnected". If there is indeed a setting that i need to change on my modem then im willing to do that. Im not an unreasonable person, i just dont want to pay for something that doesnt work.

Ok thank you.

I decided to go with hughesnet because my mom has it and it seemed to work fine there. I was impressed because there isnt even cell phone reception where she lives. She lives 40 minutes from town and i only live 15 minutes from town and my service doesnt even work half as good as hers.
maratsade

I think a lot depends on the specific area where the subscription is located. Some areas are more congested than others, and this might be the issue in your area, and maybe your mom's location is in a place with less congestion. (EDIT: all this is speculation on my part).  Do you have terrestrial-based services in your specific area, like cable or DSL? 

mistymoran wrote:
I decided to go with hughesnet because my mom has it and it seemed to work fine there. I was impressed because there isnt even cell phone reception where she lives. She lives 40 minutes from town and i only live 15 minutes from town and my service doesnt even work half as good as hers.

GabeU

@mistymoran wrote:
Cell phone service runs of of sattelite  

Actually, that's a common misconception.  Cell phone service never touches a satellite, though satellite phones do.  The only part of a cell network that's wireless is from your phone to the cell tower.  The rest is on landlines, including to other continents.  Most of today's cell phones do connect to GPS satellites for their positioning, though.

The satellite that most people encounter is satellite TV, but even that isn't really a good comparison, as satellite TV is one way and designed around and for a single, primary purpose.  

Regarding the streaming, do you primarily stream in the evenings?  I ask this because this is the time of day when the traffic is heaviest and streaming can be the most problematic.

Hopefully a rep will have some answers for you.

maratsade

When you're having issues, you may want to check if there's a specific state code associated with the network at the time. Go to the system control center (http://192.168.0.1/#!/home/status) and see what number is next to State Code.  That can help determine if there's a degradation of service for some reason.  If the number is 0.0.0, then this means the system is working properly between the satellite and the modem, which leaves whatever's on the other side of the modem (devices, for example), and congestion, traffic, and internet latency as the potential culprits. HughesNet can only help you with issues that happen between the satellite and the modem. If the issue is with devices, with traffic, or with Internet latency, they can't do anything.