cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I updated to the Pro Plan, case ID 49683175,callback case ID 50401347

I updated to the Pro Plan, case ID 49683175,callback case ID 50401347

This is the 2nd complaint after I was told to upgrade to the Pro Plan so I could download videos from You Tube without intermittent interruptions while downloading.  Instead it is worse now than before up grading. Annoying and angrytrying to watch or listen during downloading.
1st Case ID # 49683175, 2nd Case ID # 50401347. Last attempt by Hughes today 107/2015. HELP ME LIZ !!!
10 REPLIES 10

Re: I updated to the Pro Plan, case ID 49683175,callback case ID 50401347

btw... your going to have intermittent interuptions as it is a satelite connection and that has a substantial "lag" and the packets going to and from your computer take a while to get where they need to be, then it takes a second for your computer to get the response saying, "we good". Can you go into a bit more detail about this issue?

Thanks,
Brandon
Assistant Professor

Also "downloading" and "streaming" YouTube videos are two different things, Can you please clarify that? If streaming, HD may very well buffer, set to 360p or lower definition.
Alum

Hi John,

Thank you for posting. I was able to pull up your account using your profile and after running diagnostics your system looks fine. 

To better assist you with what you are experiencing, please connect your computer directly to the modem and run some speed tests for us to evaluate. Please run a set of 5 speed tests 3 times over the course of a 24 hour period for us to properly evaluate your speeds. Your patience and cooperation is appreciated, and we look forward to hearing back from you.
Speed test: http://consumer.performancetests.hughesnet.com

Thanks,
Chris

Thanks for the reply Chris, last night my computer & my I pad started downloading fine again. I also have just noticed that if I wait for just a few seconds prior to clicking on Play the YouTube video plays fine, like it gives the gray bar at the bottom time to get a head start on the red bar. don't know if that makes any sense to you, just thought I would mention it.
John
Junior

While there may be times that weather or other obstructions slow your speed, peak hours and too high of resolution are likely the cause of your problem considering the plan that you have. I have found that during these hours 720p is a good compromise. Buffering is minimal, if at all, and I am able to watch without interruption.
Assistant Professor

Just be aware 720p is considered HD when it comes to video streaming and will use a significant amount of data.

Very useful article here: http://www.whistleout.com.au/Broadband/Guides/Broadband-Usage-Guide
Junior

Anyone who is streaming video be it YouTube or otherwise is going to use a fair amount of data. Only the end user can determine for themselves the quality necessary for the particular reason they are watching. Some applications can be cut back and others will require higher resolution. IMHO The user complaining about slow speeds and video buffering did not specify so I was sharing with him, what worked for me.
Honorary Alumnus

Data is like "money" ..... if you see something, you have to ask yourself ... is it worth it ? And can I afford it ?
If a user is fruggle in their usage habits, then they can "paint the town" now and then.

I tell you, as soon as cable net or phone internet is available here I will take it. None of them dish out data. It is continuous !!!!!!!!!!!!