cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've been a customer for 3 weeks, can't wait for contract to end. Added charges w/o my approval, poor installation, fees for paper billing

I've been a customer for 3 weeks, can't wait for contract to end. Added charges w/o my approval, poor installation, fees for paper billing

I have only been a customer for 3 weeks and can't wait for my contract to be over! Additional charges without my approval, poor installation, added fees for paper billing, bill not broken down for taxes. What additional taxes am I being charged?
9 REPLIES 9

Re: I've been a customer for 3 weeks, can't wait for contract to end. Added charges w/o my approval, poor installation, fees for paper billing

Could you post your Modem Serial Number or any case numbers so the reps can locate your account. What type of charges were not approved? Most companies I work with charge for paper billing also, they want everyone on paperless.
Assistant Professor

Re: I've been a customer for 3 weeks, can't wait for contract to end. Added charges w/o my approval, poor installation, fees for paper billing

Taxes can be viewed under the invoice at MyDashbord: http://my.hughesnet.com/

They are local, state and federal taxes that everyone pays and vary a lot depending where you live.

What was poor about the installation? 

The taxes and fees need to be broken down for accuracy, no hidden fees.

The gentleman who installed my service was unprofessional, was not able to answer any questions, had no identification, was not able to hook up to the internet without calling in to the "help" desk, made a comment that we did not need password protection because the signal was not that good anyway and that I would definitely need service/protection plan as he had one dish fall off a roof once.

He made several inappropriate comments also.  

Not what I am saying.  They should be broken down, not lumped into one fee.
Assistant Professor

The installer issue aside, I'm sure they will deal with that. Is the service working for you? Do you have other alternatives besides satellite for internet?

The taxes are broken down once you sign into the site I linked to. Here is mine (click in image to enlarge) :

Assistant Professor

If 3 weeks, can cancel now. Why I asked if he/she has alternatives, many find they have something else available after getting satellite then have buyer's remorse.

Hi,
I don't understand your comment, "can't wait for the contract to be over."  Are you going to cancel NOW and avoid the $400 Early termination fee? Or do you NEED internet better than dial-up and are just complaining, but HOPING that at the end of the two year contract your county will be wired for fiber? . I have LOTS to complain about, should I choose to, but here is the bottom line:

This forum is a wonderful place where ordinary people (customers like yourself and me) try to help each other get the most from an admittedly different way to do better than dial up or go to the stone age of NOTHING. .  All do it without compensation except of course the Hughes Reps, who are here regularly also.  Also, I get a lot for my money.  That's the bottom line. Yes, there are problems.  That's life.  We CAN minimize them. I think the long, below are some helpful hints as to how to do that - minimize the problems and have the sun come out and shine. 

I have been a Hughes customer for almost 3 years.  For the first 2 years and 4 months all went well.  Speed was acceptable, but surely varies. Connectivity about 99.95% of the time perfect.  Great installer.  (I have Hughes through Frontier) I have a nuisance problem of data being used when disconnected, but even through LAYERS of frustrations, "This, too shall pass."  I deal with it.

I have to check my usage when I get on and when I get off.  2/3rds of the time it is fine, like today and yesterday.  It takes a lot of time I would rather use doing something else, but I CANNOT do weather.com well with dial-up (did for 10 years) due to data-heavy graphics.  Advertisements with, literally, dancing girls.  They pay for weather.com.  I put up with it, gladly, and pay $1000 a year to Hughes / Frontier for MORE weather.com in seconds instead of LESS INFO with dial-up and waiting for 5-10 minutes.  Great day, I save in STAMPS, instantly communicating with those whom I serve here in the Northwoods -- about HALF of what I pay in HS Internet.  And do not have to go to mailbox. 

Great day, I DO NOT receive OTHERS kind and helpful REPLIES to the few, but detailed longwinded posts I PUT HERE here on this wonderful forum.  THAT AIN'T HUGHES fault. Let's see if this reply gets up here. It probably will.  I need to check the "SETTINGS" here, but haven't had time and actually right now, i do not know how, nor what to look for as to "CORRECT SETTINGS."

I just had an odd problem with regular e-mail THAT WAS NOT HUGHES fault. nor did I ever think it was.  Starting at 4% and ramping up to about 25% of regular Full MS Outlook e-mails got stuck in OUTBOX, and would NOT send. They were important.  Turned out a PORT setting on my mail ISP (NOT Frontier or Hughes) was NOT at 587 and had to be put there. Worked fine for 10 years. Not sure how it got changed.  Why would MOST work/send just fine?????????   Anyway, I know this, too, is not what you want to do --  solving problems.   We ALL, me too, want things to magically do a Polyanna routine with all be rose colored glasses.  But that ain't LIFE 101.  

I do NOT do Netflix streaming. I do Netflix in the mailbox. Takes 2 days and costs less than what I would pay for stamps if I turn the 8 or so videos around in a month, which is do-able. Two of us use I-net in this NOT high tech house. No router. No i-anything. Dead zone for cell.  

That said, with homeschool, etc., WE DO A WHALE OF A LOT OF VIDEOS. They do not buffer. We DERATE THE youTubes. to 240 AND THOSE THAT CAN, or all we want is the audio -- to a fuzzy 144. Once in a while, unintentionally, a HD video runs and YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE HOW FAST DATA DISAPPEARS.  

I am in Pacific time.  I get up early. I can capture not-copyrighted YouTube / Vimeo on bonus bytes, move to thumb drive (Hey Costco has 128 GB's for $25 on sale now) and play through old laptop on nice TV WITHOUT manipulating to DVD.  (Just play the Mp4 files - takes seconds to do this and get vid with Hughes and a lot of it.) I doubt you could legally do this with moves, but I don't and don't want to.  My days are full as it is.   Besides, most, but not all, of Hollywood will rot your brain / soul.   But I digress.  Sorry- couldn't resist that one. 

Sat Internet is a horse of a different color.  You MUST put forth some effort to KNOW how the thing is working.  Monitor your data usage.  You do this in all sorts of OTHER areas of life, correct??? . You monitor your bucks (Credit, debit, cash in wallet, etc) to make sure it does not run out.).  You monitor your gas gauge and do as appropriate. 

Yes, you don't have to do this if you live in most cities or even in rural area that are "wired " for fiber optics.  "Should-a, Would-a Could-a".  Or better said, and I know this dates me:

"Other than that, Jackie Kennedy, how was your trip to Dallas?'  Or "Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was your night at the theater?"

I apologize for this length. But I do wish I had known what is here at the outset. It would have made MY use more quickly efficient and pleasant. I knew the drill for dial-up. But NOT for HS Sat Internet. It has been a slow learning curve, partly because my career track has NOT BEEN I.T. (Info Technology).  But do I ever like to learn and solve knotty puzzles. Well, sometimes. 

Look on the bright side. Even with having to dissolve 10 full 8 hour days in the last 4 months monitoring my data use, making screen shots, reporting the problems, still, I DO NOT THINK HUGHESNET IS SET UP TO STEAL FROM anyone.  It really does work well MOST of the time. 

Hope this helps.  

Have a most blessed and Grateful day!

Larry Lewis
Nordman, Idaho
Alum

Hi cridgway,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community. I just want to take the time to let you know that within the first 30 days of service you can cancel with no fees if you are not satisfied with the service. I pulled up your account and see that you already contacted our support center. Our agent explained to you what the charges were for. We cannot do anything about taxes. 

I also see that you contacted us on Facebook and our reps explained this as well. They sent you our survey about the installer and that is already being sent to the appropriate department who will get in contact with the dealer in your area. Thank you for your feedback. 

- Chris