cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want out of my contract.

I want out of my contract.

I am on 3 different recorded calls from the day I ordered hughesnet. On all 3 I was told that the plan I was purchasing would be more than enough to watch Netflix. I informed them that I would be canceling my satellite TV and watching only Netflix. I have had the service for 2 months and have run out of data after about 2 weeks each month. I am incredibly unhappy and want out of my contract because it is in no way what I agreed to.
22 REPLIES 22

Re: I want out of my contract.

Don't watch in HD set to SD it will use a whole lot less Data.  HD can use 1.5 gig or more an hour where SD will use 150 to 300 depending on content.  After 2 months it isn't likely Hughes will forgive the Contract due to the 30 day with no ETF clause.  But if it was a Hughes Rep that mislead you then it will be recorded if a local dealer then maybe not.  Any way good luck. 

Gary, You can make a complaint to the Attorney General of your state easily online. Once you've done that, you can then call and/or email HugnesNet (and post to their Facebook page and Twitter accounts) that you want out of your contract and all fees waived. That's what I did. All I have to do is send them back their modem and radio. If you complain enough, they will let you go, especially if there is any doubt about what you were told when you signed on. 
Associate Professor

It is enough to stream netflix, but, only in small quantities.  Data is data, once you use 100MB, you have used that 100MB, it doesn't measure any different on video.  Depending on your sales call, you *MIGHT* be able to get out of the contract.  It depends purely upon what was said about netflix.  Though, if you leave Hughesnet, who will you go with?  Satellite is a last-ditch option for internet.

Good luck, chances are your state's Attorney General like most of the state and federal government entities are in bed with these corporations. Mussolini called it Fascism. This goes beyond satellite service, time for a general strike or tax revolt!

Hey Barbara

Maybe that would work in certain cases if Belk was misled then yes that should be done.  I only have two more months on my 2 year contract and haven't decided what to do yet.  I don't like having to count down data and wake up at 5am to download.  I got HughesNet due to my wife’s business but no longer need it now for that.  All I do any more is email or listen to soma radio so I could get by with $17.00 a month dial up if needed.  I can't justify the $63.00 a month for Hughes so I may just download all I will need for a while and go with that or a Cellular Connect USB Card. 

If I am lucky enough to get out of my contract with hughesnet I will switch to AT&T Uverse. Much cheaper, faster, and unlimited.

Read the small print with ATT U-Verse you are still metered by unlimited they mean they will slow you down after x amount of Data but won't cut you off.  Hummm!!! Just like HughesNet it seems.  But if the price suits you go for it.
Highlighted
Associate Professor
Assistant Professor

Jezra, what stands out to me in that link is that even at 150 GB one can still stream only 25 HD movies. From some posts here, there are people attempting to use HughesNet as an HD movie source. Good luck with that!