cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I was deceived about how much data was needed

I was deceived about how much data was needed

I was told that if all I was doing was email, web searches, Facebook and occasional Netflix that I would not have problems with the amount of data needed.  Well, I used all of my data in one week doing that and watching one hour of Netflix. When I called customer service, I was told that I need to turn off my devices, that I can't watch videos on FB, and have to change my Netflix from HD.  NONE of this was discussed when I chose this service!!  They also suggested I purchase a data management app...if I have to do all of this to just use the technology I have, it is a poor excuse for an internet provider.  A lie by omission is still a lie! I want to use a satellite service, but the trade off of having to monitor and turn off/on is not worth it to me.
4 REPLIES 4
Honorary Alumnus

Re: I was deceived about how much data was needed

Having data caps demands a degree of frugality.

You can view Netflix but viewing in HD will hit your data allowance for about 3 GB per hour so reducing your resolution to SD or lower really helps.

Facebook can eat up a lot of data depending on your settings such as turning off auto-play of videos.

You don't have to buy a "data management app". Hughes supplies you with three different USAGE meters plus two HISTORY displays:

Usage Meters:

(Click on pictures for larger image)

#1: The download Status Meter

The Download Status Meter is a utility that is available for download from the myAccount page.

Once downloaded and installed it will reside on your computer systray at the lower right corner.

It displays the amount of data that you have used up to the point of the screenshot.

It has a "resolution" of .1 GB (100 MB) and will round to the nearest 50 MB

#2: SCC usage meter:

The SCC meter resides inside your modem. It displays data used and data remaining in all three "data buckets": Anytime (8am to 2am), Bonus Bytes (2am to 8am) and Token Data.

The SCC meter may be accessed by entering 192.168.0.1 into your browsers address bar.

#3: myAccount Usage Meter:

This meter is found after logging in at: http://my.hughesnet.com/myaccount

This is the most accurate of the three meters, reading down to a single MB but it does require that you have a browser actively connected to the internet and data can be used while logging in.

History displays:

#1: Download Status Meter History tab:

Opening the Download Status Meter and then selecting the History tab in the left column will display a look at your recent history for the last week, 2 weeks, 30 or 60 days.

Remember this is a "history" not a real-time display.

#2: myAccount History display:

Go to http://my.hughesnet.com/myaccount and log in. Select Usage, select History.

You will then be presented with a rolling 24 hour usage display as shown above. There is usually about a 1 to 3 hour delay. You may also select views of 1 week, 1 or 2 months.

In addition to the above many of us in the Community run a third party program named Glasswire:

www.glasswire.com

It comes in a free and a paid version. The free version works very well for our purposes. Glasswire will track all of the data used by both programs and background processes on the computer upon which it is installed.

It will not track usage on other connected devices. If you have two computers, it will have to be installed separately each.

Glasswire main page:

If you have a complex network with many connected devices I would suggest that you purchase a router that has the ability to track data per device;

I have a Asus RT-AC3100 that does so:

There are Asus models that are less expensive than the 3100 that still offer the Traffic Analyzer function so be sure to read the specs carefully,

Newegg.com does offer full warranty factory refurbs at considerable discounts form time to time.

Tracking at the router level really is your best bet because it will pin-point usage by all of your devices even wireless network printers that can, depending on settings and permissions use a great deal of data on their own and are easily overlooked.

I suggest you carefully going through all of your computer and device settings to disable all "cloud" and "sync" functions. Backup services such as Carbonite are also a no-no as they too are cloud based.

Websites themselves are changing with the number of adds they load on your page thereby wasting data but many "auto-start" videos that you may not even see further down the page. Now with the introduction of HTML5 many sites are "preloading" video content.

To the browser related items above I suggest using Firefox as your browser and install the following extensions:

Professor

I want to use a satellite service, but the trade off of having to monitor and turn off/on is not worth it to me.
That's just the reality of how the technology works. It's very different from anything else you may have used, and it requires involvement on the part of the user, frustrating as that may be.

Hi sydneytaylors,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. I've requested a sales call review for you to determine whether expectations were properly set during the call. Your patience and understanding are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Hi sydneytaylors,

Thank you for patience as your sales call was reviewed. The DirecTV center found your complaint to be invalid, however after reviewing the transcript, I believe the rep could have done a better job at explaining the data allowance to you. I'm sorry for that, I brought this up with this sales source and they will have that agent coached. Thank you again for bringing this up, your valued feedback helps us improve. 

I also see in your account notes that you've pre-ordered our soon-to come Gen5 service, that's great! When plan details come out, please let me know if they satisfy your needs and we can address your concerns. 

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->