I was fine for 2 hours...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hk2001
New Poster

I was fine for 2 hours...

I JUST had Hughesnet installed yesterday.  And while the tech was here, he thought the modem might have been bad.  Then it started working.  

I had good speeds (based on speedtest.net) while he was here.    Then, about 2 hours later, I may as well have been trying to send data via paper airplane.  

Last night, per the mod post, I started running testmy tests  here are the results: https://testmy.net/quickstats/dustfire
I seriously don't know what to do at this point.  These results are worse than the antiquated DSL this was meant to replace. 

12 REPLIES 12
hk2001
New Poster

and I have no idea why there are test results under my name from before yesterday.  So only look at the results from 4-9-2019 onward. 

Good morning hk2001, 

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting.That definitely sounds unusual, let's look into this for you. Were you power cycling the modem this morning?

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

We lost power briefly yesterday, a small storm came through about an hour after the tech was here, and I tried unplugged it last night to try the good ole "Turn it off, and back on" approach.  

I am noticing slightly better speeds right this moment, but this is also the same time window when everything was ok during the install.  I'm hoping it doesn't drop like a rock again at 3 or 4. 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@hk2001 wrote:

and I have no idea why there are test results under my name from before yesterday.  So only look at the results from 4-9-2019 onward. 

You're seeing test results for those on the same Connection ID.  To make it so you see only your results when you look at your signed in Results page, scroll to the bottom of that page and, on the bottom left of the results table, click on "Exclude tests taken on your connection ID that are not logged under dustfire".  You can see where I mean in the red box in the picture below (from my results page).  This will make sure to exclude those other tests on the like Connection ID, and you'll only see your test results on your Results page from then on out.   

And don't worry, no one is hacking into your connection or anything like that.  HughesNet uses shared IP addresses (which change dynamically), so for sites like testmy.net there can be more than one person at a time on a detected connection ID.  Also, only you can see those other test results (until you click to exclude the others), while anyone else looking at your Results page only see yours.  

Capture.JPG

Liz

Hi hk2001,

Thanks for this additional bit of info. I'm concerned with that power outage possibly affecting your modem so I've shipped another one, free of charge to you. You can use the box it comes in to return your current modem; there is a prepaid shipping label in the outer pouch. The replacement modem should arrive in a few days.

In the meantime, please monitor your performance and let me know how it goes later. When running the test my net tests, please also ensure the wifi network is disabled to ensure we're only measuring the speed going to the single device directly connected to the modem.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Hi Liz, 

Thank you for shipping that out to me.  If you can, please let me know the tracking by the email associated with my Hughesnet account.  

I'm peaking at about 5mb/s at the moment. 

I am running with Wifi disabled, with an (old) laptop, but it's the only device I own with a cabled connection. 

Thanks! 

Good morning hk2001,

Your modem should be arriving today. I'll PM you your UPS tracking number.  Please check your private messages (PM) in the top right corner of the community page.

Thank you.  

I also wanted to check out the usage meter.  I see in the email from Hughesnet it says "For this reason, for the first few days after your HughesNet Service has been activated, any data you use will not count against your specified Service Plan data allowance."

How long is a few days?  I saw on here where someone said 20.  I want to make sure that's the case, so I can get this modem swapped out and everything updated in that grace period. 

Thank you for the help! ! 

It can be up to 20 days, updates can take much less time than that.

Unfortunately, the new modem doesn’t seem to have solved anything. I installed it this morning, and the new tests are showing the same reasults. WiFi off, hard wired PC for most. Some run off my IPhone when I was upstairs (modem is installed in basement office)

https://testmy.net/quickstats/dustfire

3-4 mb/s, 443kp/s just now.

My upload always seems to be in the 2-3 mb/s area, despite DL being lower.

Good morning hk2001, 

Thank you for the update. For testing purposes, please plug the modem directly into a different outlet (no power strip/surge protector) and let me know if you're seeing any difference. Once I hear back I will run new diagnostics on your site.

Good morning hk2001, 

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.