I would like to say...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jrgarrett
Sophomore

I would like to say...

Been here since the end of 2015.. No problems!! I keep hearing negative stories against HughesNet... My internet works great! Most of the time we get well over our normal speeds.. Only ran out of data maybe twice, but we do everything we need to do.. With no issues! We originally had Windstream..they got over capacity and cut this area down to less than 1mbps.. Then we tried a half meg wireless "high speed" provider... basically it was only good for basic stuff.. HughesNet Let us do way more! So if you are not willing to let others help you.. Well that is your own fault! They have helped me with anything I needed help with.. however no matter how good the forum guys/gals are, They cannot read minds! So SPEAK UP! if you have an issue. they will help.
11 REPLIES 11
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I too get good service from my connection.

jrgarrett
Sophomore

I guess I don't get why people have so many issues... Seems like people just don't listen or want something to complain about!
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

That's nice to hear jrgarrett, and a nice change of pace on here, too.  I'm glad you like the service and have gotten advice when needed.  I enjoy my service, too.  I'm actually just grateful that I can get service like this while living out in the sticks.  Is it perfect?  Of course not, but then again I never expected it to be.  Still, it's good enough for me, and since starting as a subscriber in 2004, I've had no major problems.  Again, I'm glad to hear that you like it.  I've seen you popping in here and there and I like your posts.  🙂
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Biggest problem is people have no idea the difference between 5, 10, 15, 20, 50 GB of data and what things use on the internet, especially streaming videoo.
GabeU

Too true.  And with things like DSL, FIOS and cable it's just plug in and go, never having to worry about data (until quite recently, that is).  I think, though, that when most people come from  something like that to Hughesnet they ask what the data amount means, then look it up.  I think, for the most part, new customers are using the service just fine, and what we see on here regarding the people having a problem with the data cap is really a very small percentage of the new customer base.    
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

It is the 24/7 "video streamers" who have a problem from what I see here. We stream Netflix in low definition but not 5-10 hours a day. 
GabeU

A lot of times when I see people talk about how they streamed all day for the first 20 days of their first month, then hit the wall, it's not so much the fact that they didn't pay attention to the data being used, but how people can watch SO MUCH TV.  I mean, is that all they do in their free time?  I don't work and I don't even watch more than a couple of hours worth of TV a day.  I think my brain would turn to mush if I watched as much as some of these people seem to.  Perhaps it's from growing up in a different time when we didn't have on demand, and satellite TV was for people with a little bit more money and a lot of space for that monstrosity of a satellite dish.  Sure, we had cable by the time I was in my teens, but I still did a lot more than just watch TV.  There was no on demand, nor 700 channels.  There were books, the outdoors, friends, etc.  Sometimes I just don't get it today.  More than two or two and a half hours of TV a day and I'm shot.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I'll watch the news (1/2hr.) Two or three times per week.
I will watch a special now and then but that's about it.
GabeU

The evening news in NBC is something I try to watch every day, often times later from the DVR.  Sometimes I'll have the TV on in the background while I'm doing something, but to actually sit and watch something is not a ton.   I'll watch the aforementioned evening news, then the episode if NYPD Blue recorded from the Audience Network on DirecTV.  I sometimes watch a new film on one of the movie channels on Saturday, and a couple of other things on Sunday, but one thing I always try to catch is boxing.  Boxing is something I don't really tire of. 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I agree, we are old though. I have Hughes and OTA TV, those are my TV sources, no satellite TV. Would not know what to to do with 100+ satellite TV channels. Getting 25 channels OTA and what I don't get there I can find in low definition on the internet. An hour of low definition is about 300 MB no matter what site getting it from. 

And HDMI from my laptop to the 55" TV looks pretty good even in low definition. The Netflix app also looks good at low definition .

I have a SiliconDust wireless box that records TV quite nicely using Easy HDTV DVR app.
Liz

Good morning jrgarrett,

Thanks for taking the time to share your positive experience with us! It means a lot to hear you're satisfied with your HughesNet service. We're here if you need us.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!