IRC (Internet Relay Chat) & Hughes Gen 5

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
macsociety
Advanced Tutor

IRC (Internet Relay Chat) & Hughes Gen 5

Anyone here use IRC (Internet Relay Chat) on their Gen 5 service?

I am an avid IRC on all day long and notice since switching to Hughes Gen 5, I get disconnected all day long and re-connect.  Something that did not happen to me when on other services.  Seems during the course of the day I get disconnected... then re-connect... all day.  I would guess at least 5+ times a day.  Is very odd like my service is dropping it's connection in small pieces during the day and quickly comes back is my only guess.

Is there any test I can run after the day is over to see if my modem is losing connection to the Hughes service, how often and what times it is maybe doing this... to see if it coincides with me dropping offline in IRC chat all the time.

Thanks

TJ

10 REPLIES 10
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Indeed, ES-19.

TJ

Satellite NameEchoStar-19-NAD
Gateway ID8
Beam ID55
Outroute ID9
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

one that probably you have not heard of.... irc.amigaworld.net  for us retro amiga people.

been using it for years.... normally using XChat in Ubuntu but sometimes with Limechat on Mac or other systems.

TJ

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

I actually have heard of it before... lol

Any idea on my main question.... is there a way to run a report or application or something that can show if my connection drops out during the day and how often it is, etc....  tj

I suspect the particular IRC server you're connected to is sensitive to occasional latency issues.

I've not used it since on 5, but used it heavily on 4. There were some good days and some bad days.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Latency!!!!  (in the voice of Kirk.... Kahn!!!)  LOL

TJ

I used to use it with a regular group of radio listeners, in case something hot was hitting the bands.

The coax to my wire was cut so, no antenna at the moment. I really need to fix it.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Maybe try a network monitor on your ubuntu first? I feel like this would be the best starting point. Something like iptraf or bmon 

~Amanda