Hughesnet Community

IT ALL STARTED WITH DIRECT TV

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wdwomack

IT ALL STARTED WITH DIRECT TV

I called Direct TV to get my TV service AND internet. They told me that they could fix me up with TV from them and Internet From Hughes net. Around 12 or 14 years ago I Had Direct TV in West Virginia Because in the mountains service was limited. After I had it for awhile Direct TV changed its name to Hughes Net out there and started also giving me internet . They changed the dish to one that had two receivers on the same dish. It worked great.

But back then TVs were pretty dumb compared to today. But, I find I was dumb in thinking that satellite kept up with TV. I wondered why Direct TV and Hughes Net split up again and now I understand. I think. 

SO, here is my problem: I called Direct TV and they explained that they and Hughes Net were different companies again, but they could fix me up with a package deal with Hughes net supplying the internet for me.. Then an AT&T truck showed up to put in my Direct TV and a private contractor came a couple days later and put in my other Hughes Net dish. He put in the dish and got it working on my TV through an old router I had and he showed me that it was working on my phones and my IPad. AND he left. I had made the mistake of telling him I could make the connection to my IMac.  We talked  a little about routers before he left because everything seemed to be working awful slow, but he didn't know much a bout Apple stuff and it was working on theTV as far as he could tell. I asked if it might do better with a new router and maybe that would work better if I got a apple router and he figured so. So I got a apple router. But that doesn't work great with the TV . It keeps loosing the signal. Also the signal was so slow the TV was timing out trying to download a movie. and that would cause it to loose the signal too..  Now i don't know if the TV doesn't work with the apple router or IF the signal is still too slow since I had the speed boosted on Hughes net or if I need to boost the speed even more. And I don't understand why Hughes net would put me on a speed that would not work with the TV knowing that I was going to be used with Direct TV. I also don't know why anybody never explained any of this to me to start with. They just quoted me a price for a package that just seems to be going up and up.  And last but not least , why Hughe Net seems to just sneak all this in with no explanation as to what I have just gotten into or how to find out how to solve it. I have no documentation or information who to call about any problems. It has taken me days to get this far on this website to find myself here. I'm kinda burnt with the whole deal and I feel like this is going to get awful expensive. 
11 REPLIES 11
Mike Wald

Stop upgrading your speed. When programs time out it is due to latency , delay between packets, not bandwidth. Your bandwidth may cause programss to run slow but you will not get timeouts. By upgrading you are just causing your wallet to empty as the system wastes packets did to retransmission due to network congestion. Think traffic jam. Hughes has sold more bandwidth than they can deliver. They will gladly sell you more knowing you are just wasting money. That extra bandwidth is just being tossed away as lost packets. Think of it as wasting gas stopped in traffic To confirm do a speed test. If your latency is over 750 ms you have a latency problem Good luck
lacym19

I have the very same problem. We can not watch movies on Direct TV at all, the speed is too slow. I promise you, it is not your router either. We bought the most expensive router they sell and it was just a waste of money because it did not improve anything at all. We had to completely get rid of netflix at this is too slow for that as well. I can't even use my IPAD at home on Wifi either. Terrible service and they lie to get you in to the contract. Had I know that none of my stuff was going to work I would have just gone without.
wbriscoejil

Hey sorry your having so many disasters . We just got our service installed on saturday and finally 4 days later after a visit from a computer store  employee we finally have the wifi turned on. Yeah the installer was very nice gentleman and he tried for 6 hours but couldnt get the wifi on. Next is they said we could keep our old tele number wrong , at least i cant figure out how. And ive called 3 times allready today , they said i could go online and fix it wrong. Next the package we got the first months bill was gonna be 35.83 and then 85.83 every month after wrong. 2different sales reps gave me that quote but i checked bank and they charged 85.83 so i called and i did get transfered to billing and got a nice man there he said he would take 20.00 off a month for next 3 months , so i hope so. Yes i got his name . They also told me i would be able to into go hughes net and put down paper billing but when i went to change to paper billing you cant . Thank God for banks !! I went against my own advice i have followed for years always always check BBB and complaints before you hire anybody shame on me . Just look up Hughesnet complaints online and then cringed. At least the nice man before me had something helpful. Have a better week ! Lisa
Liz

Hi wdwomack,

Welcome and thanks for posting. Could you please elaborate on what you mean by "sneak all this without explanation"? We can request your sales call to be reviewed to help address your concerns, additional clarification for what to look for in the call helps.

As for your HughesNet service, we can ensure you are getting the proper speeds your plan offers. 

To get started, please follow the steps here to set up a testmy.net account and run speed tests so that we get a proper evaluation of your system performance:
https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/cant-use-the-hughesnet-speedtest-guide-for-testmy...

Most important points:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem
-use the 12MB test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/[yourusername]

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

wdwomack,

This reply only has to do with your Hughesnet being used with your DirecTV.  If you are connecting your Hughesnet to your DirecTV receiver, make sure to watch your data usage like a hawk.  Connecting a DirecTV receiver, especially one of those Genies, is generally not a good idea, and most people avoid doing so due to how much data they can use.  If using an unlimited ISP it's no big deal, but with Hughesnet being capped you may end up getting up one day and going on your computer only to find that your data is gone.  Be really watchful of that data.  Even if you never watch an on demand program the DirecTV receiver will still use data.  Just a forewarning. 

wdwomack

Thanks for all the comments from everybody.  

GabeU. I sort of found that out, by experience, but not by being forwarnded.

lacy19. My problems may not be as bad as yours because I'm not trying to use as many things as you are but I am getting the same sort of them, from the sound of things.

wbriscoejil: Glad I don't have to write that one again! Your comments are scary! But, then I was under the impression I was dealing with a reputable company when I set this up through Direct TV. I didn't expect any hidden surprises.

Mike Wald: Time outs may not be the right word for what I am getting but everything seems to be working with a lot of hesitations and spurts  and I have had my television tell me that my connection was not fast enough to download a movie. But what yo have said sort of makes sense to me even though I'm not real good with the language that goes along with this stuff.

Liz, Official Rep: I saved you for last because you seem to be Official and I need official help. What I mean when I said, " sneak this in on me" is that I was never told anything other than someone was coming to hook up my Hughes Net dish up and then was notified that he would be a couple days late because he was waiting on parts. I was also told that my first year monthly payments would be $50.00 the first year and $60.00 the second year. The price was given to me by the Direct TV person that set all of this up. I assume it was someone from Hughes net that told be about the delay. Then the fella came and installed the dish and did the set up and left and I signed a piece of paper for him to the effect that he installed it and that was about it. other than what I mentioned above.  When I talked to a hughes net rep on the phone to ask why thins weren't working and told her that I was being told my connection was too slow, she said I could up grade to the next speed and maybe that would help and that it would cost me ten more dollars and I told her to go for it. She did and I tried it and it didn't seem to help a whole lot, but it did a little. I did get to load some movies. But things seem to still be pretty slow to me. Then I found out yesterday that I have used up all my regular daylight time (whatever you call it) and that I'm now working on some sort of bonus time and that my speed has been cut way back again.. 

What was snuck in on me was that i never heard of the different times Or the limits I had on data or anything from Hughes net. It was put up and I was turned loose to use it and find out everything else by myself. No book no nothing. I spent a few days just finding out how to get into this sight and this community forum. I found a phone number some where in here yesterday to call. I've been reading this stuff and trying gout different things on my own for those days . Of which one is that speed test you mentioned . I was told in the process that I had to load a new version of Java Which I did about a dozen or more times following the directions. I finally got to run the speed tests which didn't mean too much to me at first until I found out what speed I was supposed to be running at. That took me a few hours to find out. Except I'm not for sure what plan I am under Since the one that they tell me today when I found it says it is costing me $79.00, I think, Instead of $60.00 which was the second on there that I thought I had up graded too, I'm not sure encase I was originally quoted $50.00 the first year and I up grade one step that says I should be paying 69 and when I looked at what they say I have it is 79 That is a big part of the confusion part, besides all the  rest. 

AS fares the speed test you would like me to run and give you all those results. I can't run it because I'm told I don't have the Java update again. I have no idea where that keeps going! I've loaded it a bunch of times and only got to use it once to run speed tests and got different results overtime that one time I could run them.

Now, I appreciate you trying to help me here, but I type pretty slow , This has taken me about two hours to write so far toady. To do it this way and figure out all the things I need to know would take me a month and I just don't have the time for that. I don't speak IT and it seems everybody assumes that since I try to use a computer I should, but I only want to use one, not fix it, so I never learned. For the last 70 years I have had way too many jobs and do not wish to start to learn a new one all over again, let alone the language that goes with it.

So, to save you and me a lot of aggravation, I'm going to start out by calling this number I finally found and see if I can find somebody I can talk to to straighten me out. Hope fully they can do that before I tear this whole mess out of here and get something I can use to do what I need to. In which they can have it all back when they come to get their money.

wdwomack

LIZ, incase I forgot to say it... Thank you for your offer to try and help. I do appreciate it.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

AS fares the speed test you would like me to run and give you all those results. I can't run it because I'm told I don't have the Java update again.
Testmy.net does not require Java.
Liz

Thanks for clarifying, we're working on getting that sales call for review. I'll post back once I have any updates.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Liz

Good morning wdwomack,

Your sales call audio file was corrupted, so we're unable to review it. You can go ahead and cancel without the Early Termination fee if you wish, just refer to this case number when you call in: 55411204

If you wish to stay with us and troubleshoot your speed concerns, we're happy to do that. Just let me know if we'll be expecting your testmy.net test results.

Thanks,
Liz

Liz

Hi wdwomack,

I'll go ahead and close this thread since I haven't heard from you all week about troubleshooting your speed concerns. If you change your mind, feel free to start a new thread so we can get started.

Thanks,
Liz