cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I don't get an answer soon, I will be finding another service!

If I don't get an answer soon, I will be finding another service!

I am quite concerned. I had HughesNet installed in my house because Windstream didn't provide us with the speed we needed for two teenagers and a basketball coach. With that said, we can't seem to get our chromebooks to download anything from Hughesnet. The signals say we are connected to the Wi-fi, but everytime we try to load a page it says unavailable. Now, when we use our mobile phones and the 4G LTE service the page downloads. If I don't get an answer soon, I will be terminating my contract and finding another service. Thank you. Stacia Smith
13 REPLIES 13
Assistant Professor

Re: If I don't get an answer soon, I will be finding another service!

Does it work when one computer is connected directly to the modem?

It sounds like a router and computer configuration problem. It is not HughesNet responsibility to properly configure your home network. I don't use Apple products so don't have any experience configuring them. Will let someone else with Apple experience try to help.

Just realized Chromebook is Google not Apple, sorry about that, haven't had my coffee yet. Still a home networking issue.

What router are you using? What address is the router set to?

I'm not a smart guy but first physically wire your notebooks to Hughes modem and see if it sees it. If it does, then least you now can work with router alone. Then you can see if it's an address problem. Hughes can help you but it's not a priority for them because it's a router issue not there's. You could call the router techs, I had the same issue a long time ago and I remember that was the steps and it was the router settings inside the setup items . I hope this at least points you in the right direction without Hughes
Assistant Professor

Finally, if all three are using the internet at the same time it will slow things down on satellite also just like Windstream. What speed were you getting with them?
Highlighted

I don't remember but it was slow and it's still slow I have a router that can have two speeds it just adds the speed two create another one. The tv us set two the highest one. Hughes speeds are slow anyway sometimes it doesn't load at all. Where I live I really have no chose it companies, I've fought with Hughes at times but the service never changes only the people you talk to. Someday I'll be able to use Netflixs!

Misspells sorry

Hello Stacia,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community. I understand you have chromebooks and these cannot be directly connected to your modem because they lack an ethernet port. With that being said, have you tried connecting any other devices to your WiFi? It would also be helpful to know what brand of router you have!

Best regards
Amanda

From what I gather reading all the replies, I find that they don't live up to what they say about being the best internet service. Their slow, constantly get "Can't connect to desired link" and finally it takes forever for videos and live links  to buff. I'm 75 years old and not computer savvy but I know when a service stinks. Would not hesitate breaking contract and return to cable or go to some other service!
Assistant Professor

Bob, satellite internet is a last choice for those of us with no other high speed options for internet.

If you are having problems you'd like help with please start your own post. We here in the community will be happy to provide assistance.

I know it should be used as a last resort but recently I have noticed new installs around here in an area served by DSL, Cable and WISP's.
There are 3  just around me, I think it is what one is willing to pay for internet as the other providers around here are costly