Hughesnet Community

If I hook up my hughesnet internet to my TV and then order Netflix will it use up my Hughesnet bytes? Does Netflix use my HughesNet bytes?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cheryl Hastie

If I hook up my hughesnet internet to my TV and then order Netflix will it use up my Hughesnet bytes? Does Netflix use my HughesNet bytes?

If I hook up my hughesnet internet to my TV and then order Netflix will it use up my Hughesnet bytes? I have direcTV but they canceled one of our favorite shows and the only way to watch it is via Netflix. I live off the grid and have no city services at all. Does Netflix use my HughesNet bytes?
11 REPLIES 11
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Hooking your TV to your Hughesnet connection will use your data ....

Streaming of video is VERY data intensive. It needs to be done at lower resolutions and then very sparingly.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Cheryl, anything you connect to the internet through your HughesNet service will use data and count against your allowance.

Highly suggest you set Netflix to stream at SD or low definition as described here: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87
Note the amount of data each definition uses and that any change can take 8 hours to take affect.

Also be aware a smart TV can consume a significant amount of data in the background when connected to the internet. Things like firmware updates, guide updates and app updates.
Liz

Good morning Cheryl,

Thanks for posting, good question. As Gwalk and BirdDog have already stated, any time something connects to the internet, that uses data. We suggest adjusting your Netflix playback settings to avoid using all your data quickly.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

tdig010

hi Cheryl,

I stream acorn.com and I watched 6 1 hour movies in 3 days

and it sucked out 12.7 gigs hughes.net is really bad 2 months ago was not

anywhere near that bad something got changed. 

Mordacious

tdig

when did you open your account?

For the first 10 - 20 days, depending on your plan Hughesnet, as a courtesy, renews you data on a daily basis. It is the users responsibility to keep track of their data usage. 6 hrs of HD movies at 2 GB per hour is about right.
Cheryl Hastie

Thank you everyone.. I guess I won't be getting Netflix. I only get 250mb a day. Sometimes living off the grid without city services can suck. I was hoping Hughes had a plan that was unlimited use... Thanks for your replies. Have a blessed day.... Cheryl
tdig010

I have had hughes net for about 3 years, and currently have 100 gig,,but it is

only 50 gig and 50 gig at night 2am to 8am big rip off. but get worse as time goes

bye. the same movie watched over and over can have a diff of well over 2 gig diff

in an hour. they changed the meter??? about 2 months ago. 

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Have you considered that more network activity was going on besides the movie download ?
Cheryl Hastie

Thanks. You may mark this question as resolved.

I won't order Netflix or anything else that has to be hooked up to my internet until Hughes comes up with an unlimited use plan. I can't take any on line classes or watch instructional videos on YouTube or stream movies or music from Amazon or Netflix...

Cheryl Hastie

Thanks. You may mark this question as resolved.

I won't order Netflix or anything else that has to be hooked up to my internet until Hughes comes up with an unlimited use plan.

I can't take any on line classes or watch instructional videos on YouTube or stream movies or music from Amazon or Netflix... Question resolved.

Thanks everyone.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Cheryl, you can do all of that in moderation but at lower video definition. Do you know what definition your online classes use?

What plan do you have?