If Sonos is connected, I have no internet access

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Don23805
Freshman

If Sonos is connected, I have no internet access

Everything worked until yesterday when I had no internet connectivity.  I unplugged all the ethernet connections from the HT2000W, and my access returned.  So I plugged in each cable one by one to isolate the problem.  It turns out that plugging in the Sonos music system killed internet access.  [FYI, with Sonos you need to hardwire one unit to the router (I have 17), and the rest works via wifi].  I spent a couple hours with Sonos tech support swapping units, etc.  They have a nice utility that lets you send them a diagnostic file that can help find problems.  But since connecting the Sonos to  the router killed internet access, we couldn't do that.  He asked what kind of router I had and looked it up.  I'm not a router expert, but he said he was surprised that it worked as well as it did.  Perhaps in typical blame fashion, he suggested that perhaps it was an issue with the Hughes box.  Calling Hughes phone tech support was the usual losing proposition.  I've had much better luck on this forum.   So where to go from here.  Hughes thinks all is working and doesn't want to try replacing the router.  Another possibility is buying another router to put between the Hughes box and the local equipment and having it handle the house traffic.  Any suggestions?

TIA   Don

2 REPLIES 2
Damian

@Don23805,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I am sorry to hear you are experiencing this issue. Typically, the HT2000W modem can handle several devices being connected as long as they are evenly split between the 3 channels. The fact that you have this many devices connected, and are you still able to receive service, is truly astonishing. The good news is, I do not believe you will need a new router or the replacement of your current one. It sounds like the soundbar is using a great amount of bandwidth that just can't be supported with the current number of devices on the network. The best test for this is to disconnect everything on the network and have only the soundbar connected. If it works this way, you will have to go through each device to see which ones can exist on the network with the soundbar. If this does not work, we can explore different methods to get this up and working.

-Damian 

@Don23805,

We're closing this thread since we never got a reply from you. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread so we can more effectively help you.

-Damian