Images don't go through on iMessages

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bederson
Freshman

Images don't go through on iMessages

Hi - I've seen this reported by others, but I am having the same issue, so here it goes:

Everything works well except that images won't go through on the Messages app on Apple products (MacOS as well as iOS). The attached photo is typical of what shows up in place of an image on MacOS when someone sends me a message (receiving never works). Usually when I send, it just spends a very long time trying to send, and the image fails (although from time to time, the image goes through). It works fine on the cell network, so I am pretty confident it is a Hughes network issue. I am using:

- MacBook Pro 13" with MacOS 10.15.3

- iPhone X with iOS 13.3.1

Things I have tried:

- Rebooting devices

- Turning off HughesNet "Video Saving Mode"

- Changing to Google's DNS (8.8.8.8)

I am a new customer (4 days), and it has never worked for me.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or need other information (or would prefer I submit this a different way).  Thanks.

- Ben

Untitled.png

7 REPLIES 7
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

I've had a similar problem; see my ticket here:  https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/iMessage-images-fail-to-upload/td-p/119426

Not sure if the advice the mods gave me might help you, but thought I'd mention it anyway.

Thank you maratsade - I read your thread and have tried everything. Bottom line is that it is totally unreliable for Apple Messages and Photos. There is no way this is a bandwidth or network issue - the engineers are barking up the wrong tree...

Ben

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Oh, that stinks. I have had moderate success by lowering the quality of the images, though they take some time to go through, but at least they go through.  I still have issues sometimes with accessing icloud.  When the problem happens, images take a long time to go through or fail altogether, icloud is unreachable, and so is Google Drive. Very odd, given everything else works just fine.  If I change networks, the problem vanishes. A mystery!

Good morning bederson,

Thank you for posting and providing detailed info of what troubleshooting steps you've taken, this is very helpful. I've escalated this information to our engineers.

If you saw maratsade's thread, there was a bit where we discussed the pic size difference when LQ mode was on and off. For now please keep that LQ setting enabled and on the chance that an image does successfully send, please check that pic's filesize and let me know what it was.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Liz - I did read all through maratsade's thread and tried everything there. The bottom line is that this network is really just not reliable with Apple services. When I changed the Messages resolution setting, my outgoing images seem to send (at least some of the time), but really nothing else works reliably. And I should not have to decrease the resolution. I should be able to send full resolution messages and have it take longer as appropriate to send that data. But sending full resolution images does not just take longer - it does not send at all. I should not be restricted in what I am able to send. Furthermore, that does not solve my other problems. Here are some of the things that do not work:

- Receiving images in messages on iOS or MacOS

- Syncing photos from iOS to iCloud

- Loading www.icloud.com in a browser

- Loading all the news in Apple News. Sometimes the first bit loads, but the numbered list of suggested articles never loads.

All other services work (e.g., Twitter, Gmail, Netflix, Youtube, NYTimes, etc.) Sure, sometimes they are slow as might be expected, but with Apple services, the data never goes through. So something is broken. It seems like a huge waste of time to try and see if slightly smaller images go through at certain times of day. This is almost surely a network configuration issue.

The fact that many other people are having the same issue JUST with Apple products (and based on my searches have been having these issues for months) makes it clear that this is an issue between Hughes and Apple, and not a bandwidth issue.

Ben

Thanks for these details Ben, I'll send these over to engineering.

What I got back from engineering before your latest update is that they saw wifi packet loss on yours and Allison's iPhone Xs. For testing purposes, please isolate one device and have it near the modem when trying to send/receive an image so we can narrow things down. Please also let me know if the LQ setting is enabled or not.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Hi Ben,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

Thanks,

Liz