cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impossible to view any video, buffering never stops.

Spectator

Re: Impossible to view any video, buffering never stops.

I have much of the same problem.  Just finished my first full month with HughesNet and am very dissapointed with the performance.  Download speeds are measuring approximately 20Mbps and upload at about .5.  I tranferred from a DSL account that gave me 3Mbps but allowed for better video streaming without constant buffering.  Technical support talks to me like I am the first person to ever complain about the issue.  I will follow this thread with a hope to learn what the issue is.  There seems to be a serious issue with many people not being able to stream video that hopefully will be addressed.  The customer service rep repeatedly told me that my family could stream to 2 or more devices simultaneously with the 25Mbps service.  I am using only only a wired connection to a desktop PC.

Thanks,

Mark 

Professor

Mark, the Hughesnet reps on the site can help, but they prefer to address each user's issues separately. Please start a new topic under Tech Support (https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/bd-p/TechSupport). Just go to the page and click on the button labeled "Start a topic."  Provide as much detail as possible so the reps can help you. 

@MarkH wrote:

I have much of the same problem.  Just finished my first full month with HughesNet and am very dissapointed with the performance. 

Sophomore

Hughesnet Reps MIGHT be able to help.  They were not able to help me.  They actually made changes that caused my connection to be slower (according to testmy.net).

Before contacting hughesnet tech support, I would recommend checking the BIOS or UEFI settings of your motherboard for your NIC or onboard ethernet controller and verify that they are correct (applies to wired connections only).  You might find something strange, like the network stack being disabled, and yes, you can have connectivity even with that setting disabled in the BIOS or UEFI.  You might also verify that the IPV6 settings within your operating system are correct.  I can't offer specific advice since I may use a different operating system than other users, but it might be worth researching.  If you don't understand the terminology that I used, by all means contact tech support.

Hello Clayton,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. I apologize you are still experiencing this issue. It appears your issue has been escalated to the proper channel as of 2/20/2019. I see they tried to contact you once but seemed to miss you. They were able to leave a voicemail with callback info as well. They will be making another attempt, but you can also reach out to the number they provided when you are ready. 

@vladams2015

This is untrue. We in no way have the ability to throttle your download speeds manually. Speeds are only throttled when you are out of data and is an automated change process done on our network. Our technicians and representatives also do not have a way to 'unthrottle' you, outside of upgrading your service plan or adding token data.

-Damian 

Sophomore

Damian,  you are mistaken,.  Please read again my previous posts. I didnt not say my connection was throttled.  I said that tech support made changes that caused my connection to be even slower without resolving the buffering issue.

Yes, my issue was escalated and the outcome was that tech support made changes on their end which slowed my connection and did not resolve the buffering issue.  They left a voicemail and I returned the phone call.  It was during that phone call that they made the changes to which slowed the speed of my connection.  Please get  your facts straight before shooting off your mouth in defense of Hughesnet.  Never once did they mention that they would make any additional phone calls or efforts to resolve my issue.

Sophomore

At this point, I am in the same situation as other Hughesnet users.  I am bound by a contract with a provider who is unable to support their service and who is apprently not willing or able to resolve what seems to be a common issue among Hughesnet users.

This is not intended as a fix for your problems, but as a possible work around:   Download the video with an add on such as Video Download Helper.  Then watch it at your leisure with no buffering.  Plus this way you can watch it as many times as you want without using more data.

Sophomore

@gaines_wright wrote:

This is not intended as a fix for your problems, but as a possible work around:   Download the video with an add on such as Video Download Helper.  Then watch it at your leisure with no buffering.  Plus this way you can watch it as many times as you want without using more data.

Yeah, I set up a bunch of stuff to download during the bonus period...but I was setting up my new entertainment center and watching a season of a show. Then suddenly...poof, no more worky worky for you today. I could use the youtube app, and some of my add-ons from my kodi build were working, but if I was using any build or add-on that doesn't utilizie a VPN...I could not stream. Case in point: HN and TMN both gave me speeds of 20 average, my nVidia did as well, my Netflix app on my nVidia was reporting less than 3. If I ran Netflix through a VPN, tada 17-20. HN is limiting, its the only portion of the system that could be.

Clayton,

I was following up on your account and I'm happy to see in the notes that our tech fixed everything. Feel free to reach out again if you need any further assistance or if you would like to update us on your current status. 

-Damian