Inconsistent speeds

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sandralou3
New Poster

Inconsistent speeds

I have had service since June 8 and during that time, my internet works ok during the day but becomes virtually unusable after 6 or 7 pm- pages load extremely slow, cannot stream video from any service without interruptions every minute, or it won’t load at all. Is there a fix for this? Very disappointed in my experience so far.
6 REPLIES 6
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Please note that as per the service contract (which I'm sure you read before you agreed to have the service installed), Hughesnet does not guarantee speeds:

"Stated speeds and uninterrupted use of service are not guaranteed. Actual speeds will likely be lower than the maximum speeds during peak hours. In addition, when connected to the Service using Wi-Fi, the user’s experience will vary based on the proximity to the Wi-Fi source and the strength of the signal, and its usage is subject to the Fair Access Policy." http://legal.hughes.com/SubAgree-03-16-17.cfm, section 1.1

At peak times there may be congestion and speeds may slow down. 

I have been reading many of these comments about slow speeds and buffering all the time.  You sell a service, you should try to make it work half way decent.  I think in my service contract it says me paying my bill in full is not guaranteed and my monthly payment will likely be lower.  Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it?  Well that is the b/s you are feeding us.

GabeU

@dannydtk 

This is the HughesNet SUPPORT Community, not the HughesNet Rant Community.  If you want help with something, please ask for it in your own thread in the appropriate section for your issue instead of ranting on the thread of someone asking for help.

maratsade

You're confused because you only see posts by people with tech issues.  This happens because this is a tech support site.  It seems that among your many issues you may have some that are related to the service. You may want to start a new post and explain in more detail what those issues are, and people will help you troubleshoot and find a solution. It's worked countless time, and people go away happy and get to stream their fave TV shows.  

The subscribers on the site, and the Hughesnet mods on the site are very willing to help you get the most of your service. If you're unwilling to work with people to improve things, then you are in luck, because this is a free country and you're not obligated to keep the service.  You can pay the fee to cancel the contract and then go on your merry way to your next ISP.  

dannydtk whined:

I have been reading many of these comments about slow speeds and buffering all the time.  You sell a service, you should try to make it work half way decent.  I think in my service contract it says me paying my bill in full is not guaranteed and my monthly payment will likely be lower.  Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it?  Well that is the b/s you are feeding us.

GabeU

@sandralou3 

To get help with speed issues, you'll need to run some speed tests for the reps to see.  The instructions for the tests are as follows, and please be sure to follow the protocol given, including running them while signed into a testmy.net account, using the proper test sizes, running them with a device that's directly connected to the HughesNet modem via LAN cable, and with the WiFi in the HT2000W modem disabled.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform a batch of 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share the account results link with us here.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi while the speed tests are being performed 
-use the 25MB size download test file ONLY 

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please see this site (due to being an older site, the stated test sizes are incorrect for Gen5 (please use the test sizes listed in the instructions above, in bold, for Gen5)).

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 9AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you don't know how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see "How do I manage my built-in WiFi modem?" in this PDF. Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).

Liz

Good morning sandralou3,

We're closing this thread since we never got a reply from you. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can more effectively help you.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!